An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Us Hopeful Religious...

FutureCarmeliteClaire

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1319511019' post='2326695']
We weren't allowed to pick parents. I thought that was an actual rule, like you can't be a Godparent to your own child. :idontknow:

Out of curiosity, are religious allowed to be confirmation sponsors? Or is that something that depends on the order? I suppose that cloistered religious couldn't be, but can active? I'm just curious, because I chose my confirmation sponsor because she was the sort of person I wanted to be, a holy wife and mother. And now, I'm at least a wife and mother, doubtful on that holy part...but I'm working on it! lol.
[/quote]

Yes they are! Or at least, the sisters I know who have been are allowed to (and this ranges from conservative orders to more liberal ones). But if Peanut wants your Sister sister to be his/her sponsor, then I'm almost positive she could be!

InPersonaChriste

I was confirmed at 14. My sister chose her confirmation sponsor really well, but I chose mine they year before and my sponsor did not actually even come to my confirmation (she was spending time in the US) so my elder sister stood in as my proxy.

Though my confirmation sponsor is interested to hear what is going on in my life spiritually, she seems to be too busy to talk to anyone.

MissScripture

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319551128' post='2326813']

Yes they are! Or at least, the sisters I know who have been are allowed to (and this ranges from conservative orders to more liberal ones). But if Peanut wants your Sister sister to be his/her sponsor, then I'm almost positive she could be!
[/quote]
I know she can't be named a Godmother anymore. She is the Godmother to my niece, because that was before she entered, but after that, the Nashville Dominicans can't be named Godmothers. But it never occurred to me to ask about confirmation sponsors, since no one was even close to that age when she entered (given that my niece was less than a year old and Peanut was not even thought of yet. lol)

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1319554958' post='2326830']
I was confirmed at 14. My sister chose her confirmation sponsor really well, but I chose mine they year before and my sponsor did not actually even come to my confirmation (she was spending time in the US) so my elder sister stood in as my proxy.

Though my confirmation sponsor is interested to hear what is going on in my life spiritually, she seems to be too busy to talk to anyone.
[/quote]
:( That sort of happened to my sister. I mean, her sponsor was there for her through the confirmation, but the relationship kind of ended after that, as the sponsor started to have mental and physical health problems, and stopped talking to her old friends. My sister was quite upset, and I really felt for her, as I still continue to regularly see mine and have been mistaken as part of their family (apparently, there is family resemblance, when we aren't related at all. LOL). But I think now my sister has focused more on praying for her (as the health issues have continued), but she is also past "needing" the input to some degree, since my sister is in the convent, which would've changed their relationship significantly anyway.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1319541190' post='2326771']
WOW, that is definitely amazing, Is suppose it is not very common, though.
[/quote]

It will vary, I suspect its more common than you might imagine, but still unusual if that makes sense? My former community is a long way from the town whose parish it is technically in, and has a relatively large Sunday congregation (for rural England!) who would consider the monastery their parish. We knew some families very well and would have open parlours to hear the children play music, talk about school work etc. These families would usually have a sister as a God parent at baptism. We also had the pleasure of seeing the children have their First Communions etc. Confirmation would be harder, but I imagine, based of the last bishop's relationship with the community, that it might have been possible had their been children at the right age.

My future community is only a couple of hundred yards from the parish church, so doesn't have the same parish feel, or the same travel difficulties for the congregation.

FutureSister2009

I was 13 when I was Confirmed and I was not considering Religious Life at the time at all. However now that I am, I am almost certain my aunt who was my sponsor would be absolutely thrilled and supportive. That's just the kind of person she is. She is so prayerful and so Holy. She would love it. My Godmother however is not as Catholic as she used to be but I'm sure she would still support me because she wants me to be happy.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1319558059' post='2326860']
My sponsor is here on phatmass... I wonder if she'll see this... :saint:
[/quote]
That is really razzle dazzle, I wish mine was on phatmass, she would like it. I've told her about it, but it will take a while to get her to get on :)

I started discerning religious life the day I was confirmed. It's a powerful sacrament. The thought of religious life had never entered my head before that day, and it hasn't left me since :hehe2:

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1319558059' post='2326860']
My sponsor is here on phatmass... I wonder if she'll see this... :saint:
[/quote]

'Sup, chica? :buddies:

And I may or may not have only seen this because I was stalking your profile... :whistle:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1319571884' post='2326948']
I started discerning religious life the day I was confirmed. It's a powerful sacrament. The thought of religious life had never entered my head before that day, and it hasn't left me since :hehe2:
[/quote]
That is wonderful! So razzle dazzle :) I can't wait until Confirmation day...

A G is a "gangster." But the term is often shortened to G. So, as a joke, me and my friends often say, "I'm such a G, I'm an H." The letter H is higher than G in the alphabet, so it's a superiority joke.