An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Curious...

Queen'sDaughter

Queen'sDaughter

I just started wondering about this...how many of you have siblings or family members who are religious? A priest once told my mom that vocations tend to run in families, and I wondered how much this holds true.

My oldest brother is a priest, and I have been accepted to the convent, AND my eleven year old sister wants to be a sister. (Not a nun, a sister). :smile2:

So...do vocations run in families?

i<3franciscans

I believe so. My older brother is discerning the priesthood although we all know that is what he is going to do (He has a few years to go however for he is only a freshman at Ave Maria). :) And I [i]know[/i] that I am called to religious life. And the rest of my siblings are... too young to know yet. :)

And seeing that you are fairly new, welcome to the phamily and VS! :clap: :welcome:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

None of my family are in any religious order whatsoever, it is just something that has been planted in my heart since I was about 7. My parents also foster religious vocations in our house, so that is good. They are both converts, so none of their families are in the religious vocation field :)

I would actually be the first in my family. No one in my family has EVER considered a religious vocation. My dad's family is Protestant (he converted before my parents were married) and my mom's Catholic family is not very religious at all. They are all "Sunday Catholics" except my mom (who told me that my influence had something to do with her really practicing her faith after my reversion) and my maternal grandfather.

My uncle's mother told me that one of her sisters was a nun, but we are not blood related. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

Well, if one goes back far enough, there were some Protestant ministers (and I mean way, way back).

Most of my family wasn't allowed to enter into religious life. As poor cajuns, they had little education, and education was needed to enter the seminary or a convent. Even today, there is a lack of "Cajun" priests.

There is a Lutheran minister a ways back in mine too, though nobody in my immediate family... You do get 'vocation families' though. Sometimes they're incredible, sometimes they're ghastly :)

My parents were protestant ministers, running homeless hostels, for 20yrs before my mums health failed. My great-uncle is a minister in the same denomination, and a great aunt was until her retitement too. Oh and my dad's cousin. So I could say yes, it does run in our family!

Edited by faithcecelia

i<3franciscans

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319745752' post='2327841']
There is a Lutheran minister a ways back in mine too, though nobody in my immediate family... You do get 'vocation families' though. Sometimes they're incredible, sometimes they're ghastly :)
[/quote]
And mine of course is incredible. LOL

FutureSister2009

I have heard that I have distant relatives who are Priests. I don't know them though. I would like to meet them. And I would love to be the first Sister in the family!

brandelynmarie

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1319745752' post='2327841']
[/quote]
[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1319745832' post='2327842']
My parents were protestant ministers, running homeless hostels, for 20yrs before my mums health failed. My great-uncle is a minister in the same denomination, and a great aunt was until her retitement too. Oh and my dad's cousin. So I could say yes, it does run in our family!
[/quote]

I had a 2nd or 3rd cousin on my mom's side who was a minister & I have heard rumors of a relative on my mom's side way back when who was a sister. So yes, there may be something to that! :think2: Something in the bloodline...

MarysLittleFlower

I'm an only child and my family is not Catholic.. and I'm considering a vocation, though I don't know if this is where God is calling me, yet. So I don't know :) I think it is true that vocations might run in families, but that's not the only way that people are called to religious life.

I have a few second cousins who were are either priests or sisters and one of my very close friends while growing up is a redemptoristine sister. What inspired me to discern God's will more than anything was the example that the sisters who taught me along with what the life of service my father led. I know sisters who had no example of religious (whether family or school) but chose to truly discern his will (inspired by the example of a truly lived out vocation of marriage)

I believe that what helps bring vocations to the church is the example of others joyfully living out their vocations. In the beginning of my discernment I got the chance to truly got to know some wonderful women who were boldly and happily living out their vocation as wives and mothers and that totally inspired to not necessarily be a sister but to truly seek out the Lord's will for me and to live it because I knew that is where I would find true joy.

sorry for the ramble I hope that made sense and wasn't way off.

Apparently I had a great (or great-great) aunt who was a Franciscan sister/nun (whichever). I was excited that she was Franciscan :like3:

My dad's cousin is an SSFPA (Franciscan) Sister. But that's it. Vocations weren't really fostered in my home, so it came as a bit of a surprise and took me a long time to come to grips with it.

TeresaBenedicta

Well, I'm a convert... so not for me.

But the order I'm joining has a TON of sibling vocations within the Institute. In (God-willing) my class alone there are three with older siblings in the Institute (either male or female branch). At breakfast this morning, Father was telling us that out of his family 8 of them are religious/priests, and 7 of those are to our Institute. It's really a special gift and charism of our religious family.