An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Curious...

Queen'sDaughter

My pastor and his little brother are both priests. I was also discussing sibling vocations with my mom yesterday and the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal came up since they have 2 twin brothers from Australia that are both friars! I think that's incredibly razzle dazzle. I can also think of these:

Mother Assumpta from the DSMMEs and Mother Mary Gabriel from the SsEWs are both blood sisters and entered the Nashville Dominicans AND went on to form their own religious orders!

Sr. Agnes from the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal and her brother, Bryan, who originally entered the CFRs but left to study for the diocesan priesthood

Sr. John Paul Marie Spinharney from the CFRs and her brother, Fr. Isaac Spinharney, who is a CFR also

LaPetiteSoeur

The first pastor of my home parish in NJ was from Ireland. He had two brothers. Both brothers were priests! Actually, a historian is working on a book about them! Unfortunately, I can't remember the pastor's name nor his brothers' names, but if I find the book, I'll recommend it to anyone here..

I think that it's true that vocations tend to run in families, and I also think that it can be more difficult to discern a religious vocation if you are in a family that is not supportive and in which there isn't a history of vocations.

GeorgiiMichael

One of my last Catholic ancestors (before they married into Protestant families) was a sister up in New York. I forget which order. I think I am called to marriage, so no religious vocation for me, but God willing, hopefully some of my future children will have religious vocations. If I am called to religious life though, I'll probably be the last in my family, seeing as how I'm a convert in a pretty staunchly Lutheran household.

NovemberFourth

As far as I know. I can go back quite a few generations I am the only one in my family who has (nearly*) fully discerned a religious vocation. I know that, for example, my Mother thought abut it. But she dismissed it almost instantly as she wished for marriage.

I say "nearly" as I believe I am still discerning - and am not quite sure one ever really stops.... :)

N4

Queen'sDaughter

So interesting to see all of the replies! The basic thing that I can gather from this: Vocations run is some families and not in others!

In my own family there have been several distant cousins that were priests, but my brother was the first for several generations. (Many of the family on Mom's side is fallen away). On my Dad's side, there are two Methodist ministers, a father and son, who both died at the pulpit while preaching! Those must have been SOME sermons! We tease my brother by telling him never to give a fire and brimstone sermon, as his family history looks a little dangerous.

[font=comic sans ms,cursive] I think it runs in the family but, I don't have any cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters etc. that are religious (that I know of!)[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive] Wow then that means I might be the first! :saint2: [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive] Also, I'd like to meet your little sister since I'm 12.... [/font] [font=comic sans ms,cursive] :hehe2:[/font]

LadyOfSorrows

Interestingly enough...my father (who was Jewish and is now a non-practicing Catholic), felt drawn to the contemplative life of the Trappists. Although that was short lived, it's fascinating to think that we both have an attraction to contemplative life...

But other than that, I wouldn't know, considering I'm the only Catholic in my family. :)

Little Flower

My uncle was a Missionary of Charity priest. I had a great-aunt or something who was a nun I think. I want to be a nun and three of my brothers are thinking about the priesthood. My younger brother (14 - he's the closest sibling to me in age incidentally!) is pretty convinced he's gonna be a priest. Now I'm trying to convince him to be a Dominican! :) But he wants to be diocesan

:nun: and I would just like to point out that she is obviously a Dominican :)

:nunpray: she's Dominican too

sorry vee no carmelites here! :child:

AccountDeleted

I'm fortunate just to be able to claim a Catholic grandmother (I'm named after her) because apart from her (and she didn't practice her faith after she married my lapsed Presbyterian grandfather)... I have nothing religious in my background!! Go figure why God would call someone like me. :P Maybe he just wanted to get some Catholicism back into the family again? :)

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1319745636' post='2327839']
Well, if one goes back far enough, there were some Protestant ministers (and I mean way, way back).

Most of my family wasn't allowed to enter into religious life. As poor cajuns, they had little education, and education was needed to enter the seminary or a convent. Even today, there is a lack of "Cajun" priests.
[/quote]

I know that. My cousin is in seminary, but he's a Yankee. haha I haven't met him, but I will be in contact with him soon. :)

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320290969' post='2330664']

I know that. My cousin is in seminary, but he's a Yankee. haha I haven't met him, but I will be in contact with him soon. :)
[/quote]

Just to make sure I don't sound condescending, I said "I know that" as a way of showing how I have observed this as well. There's a groth down here. :) Come on down to this diocese or any of the SLA dioceses. Lotta Cajuns, sha.

Mom: convert
Dad: fallen-away catholics
Step-Dad: convert.

I only know of one other discerner in my family. He's a diocesan priesthood seminarian. Close, but far, cousin. Jonathan. I hope to meet him soon. :) For me, religious vocations do not run in the family. My Irish-French-(etc. etc.) blood doesn't carry much religious vocation roots.