An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just Curious...

Queen'sDaughter

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320291402' post='2330670']

Just to make sure I don't sound condescending, I said "I know that" as a way of showing how I have observed this as well. There's a groth down here. :) Come on down to this diocese or any of the SLA dioceses. Lotta Cajuns, sha.
[/quote]

Now it's so much better that Cajuns can be educated! And that schools are accessible so Catholic Cajuns have that opportunity. And it's growing here, too, thank God!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1320327709' post='2330765']

Now it's so much better that Cajuns can be educated! And that schools are accessible so Catholic Cajuns have that opportunity. And it's growing here, too, thank God!
[/quote]

I think I read about a Cajun from those days where they experienced a lot of discrimination and suppression, who did become a priest. It was an epic story. Wish I could remember it. xD

she_who_is_not

My dad told me that there was a lot of prejudice towards cajuns when he was growing up. He said that the public schools in rural areas had segregated classrooms.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1320364199' post='2330992']
My dad told me that there was a lot of prejudice towards cajuns when he was growing up. He said that the public schools in rural areas had segregated classrooms.
[/quote]

Yeah, sometimes Cajuns weren't allowed to even attend schools. I know this was very true in my area. I hear stories from the elderly and it shocks me.

They weren't even allowed to speak Cajun-French.

• 1 year later...
FutureCarmeliteClaire

Bumping this. I believe my great-aunt entered (or was a live-in or something) a convent. She is now a fallen-away Catholic and (obviously) left the convent. I have no idea about anything in that situation at all.

Actually, several of the sisters I talked to had parents (father, mother, or both) who had thought they were called to religious life, but then got married instead. Each of those sisters had exactly one sibling enter religious life. I ran the theory by them that, when a parent doesn't answer the call, God takes two kids instead. They looked pleased at that.

But I'm sure it's not a science. ;-)

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I believe that any family who seeks after God and strives after Him will be blessed with Many Vocations to Married, Religious, Priesthood, and Single Life in short order :)

My Grandfathers were both ordained Protestant ministers, my brother has gone to an Assemblies of God seminary for a brief period, my sister got her degree in Youth Ministry, and my parents met while my mom was in seminary and my dad was a Chaplains Assistant. I'm the only Catholic, but when we look at the attempt to follow God within a family it is not surprising that we get many vocations from them.

Queen's daughter- my perspective...if one was lacking in exposure to religious modeling and or guidance in spiritual direction one wouldn't have the tools for building a early foundation for human formation and growth concerning religious vocation(s). I also submit that it seems (to me) that young discerners getting ready to or have already entered have (more than one) sibling(s) When I read vocation stories ( I've seen many community websites) they usually mention their brothers and sisters. The generation of sisters/nuns from the 30's, 40's 50's mention in their stories of coming from families with 7,8,9,10,11,12,13 siblings. Personally...my mother immigrated from Germany, was a only child, baptised Lutheran, and could of cared less about religion. My father and step-father the same. I was baptised Catholic because
Of my paternal grandmother. In my teen years..I didn't even know about religious youth camps/groups existing. As Catholic as my grandma was...she neglected to educate me on opportunities exhisting for becoming a religious. On my own...I rediscovered my faith late last year. Oh yeah...I also discovered Pope Leo the 13 is my cousin.

Well my grandfather, two great uncles, and two uncles are protestant preachers.  A far off cousin is a priest and another cousin is a seminarian.  So yeah you could say that vocations run in my family...  A lot of people say that I would be a good nun but I don't know if they would want me... :hehe2:

My family comes from a catholic background, but it didn't turn out well for everybody. So, no religious vocation in my family! However, I do have an uncle who is a married permanent deacon, but aside from that, I'm the only one so far to have a call for religious life. I can't say that it runs in my family then ^^

God calls whoever He wants, whatever his or her background is. However, I must confess that i know very catholic families who have a lot of vocations! Maybe I'm the first of a long list of religious vocations in my family...  :proud:

Catholicterp7

Okay on my dad's side of the family I had: Five great aunts and one of their cousins were Sisters of Saint Joseph in London Ont. and my second cousin twice removed and third cousin twice removed (the same man, yes my family is confusing...) was a priest and an army chaplain during the war. 

On my mom's side my grandpa was a permanent deacon. 

Both of my parents seriously considered consecrated life in some form and one of my brothers considered the priesthood.

I should say it runs in my family! :)

JMJ+ :heart: