An Old School Catholic Message Board

So As To Not Hijack Anymore: My Discernment Thread

Lisa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1321104802' post='2335346']
So, funny, awkward story of the day. I've never been to an opthamologist (eye health doctor), so I just googled "Lafayette opthamologist." I call the place, set up an appointment, and when I get to my address, she asks "Did you know we are in Louisiana?"!!!!! I had not called an opthamologist in my state, which also has a Lafayette! We had a good laugh!!!!
[/quote]

Oops!

I once called my dentist's office, when I was home on a college break, hoping there was some cancellation or hole in the schedule or something so I could get in for a cleaning and check-up.

And so I called and asked the receptionist when the "next free appointment" was.

She hemmed and hawed. Well, geez, you'd have to talk to the doctor about that ...

'Cause the dentist is a very very good man who does a LOT of pro bono work. So the idea of someone seeking a "free appointment" is entirely plausible. But she wasn't authorized to approve such things.

:oops:

Oh, no! I just meant "available." I can pay! Let's start again. When is the next AVAILABLE appointment?

Aha! That she could do!

So be careful with your geography AND your vocabulary!

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa, I thought you'd appreciate this. I love this tribute video as it is beautifully done. ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX3QF6T7LOk[/media]

This is not really an update on my discernment, but in some ways, it is. They found a lump in my mom's breast. She survived near-Stage 4 cancer when I was younger. They took a biopsy, and she will be diagnosed today. I'm not going to lie. I'm terrified right now. My application was almost done, and I still think it's what I need to do, but I'm scared.

In this waiting time, it's really hard not to imagine the worst and the "what-ifs". What if she's still on chemo when I leave? What if she has a reccurence? On a positive note, even if it is cancer, they found it relatively early, and I know treatments have come a long way in the past 15 years.

I'm trying to just lean on God and not worry, but it's hard. As soon as I find something out, I'm going to call Sister and just talk about it with her.

Prayers would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Lisa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1322492670' post='2341585']
[/quote]

Prayers for your mother and your family!

And yes, call the sisters and just talk about it to them and ask for their prayers. They are going to be your family, so your "home-family" matters to them!
Remember you do not need "to decide" something now, nor do you have to be "strong"just because you decided to enter the convent... - maybe right now it simply is the moment to feel terrified. Concentrate on your feelings and your fear and lift them up in prayer and let God himself transform the agony inside you.

Prayers!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1322492670' post='2341585']
This is not really an update on my discernment, but in some ways, it is. They found a lump in my mom's breast. She survived near-Stage 4 cancer when I was younger. They took a biopsy, and she will be diagnosed today. I'm not going to lie. I'm terrified right now. My application was almost done, and I still think it's what I need to do, but I'm scared.

In this waiting time, it's really hard not to imagine the worst and the "what-ifs". What if she's still on chemo when I leave? What if she has a reccurence? On a positive note, even if it is cancer, they found it relatively early, and I know treatments have come a long way in the past 15 years.

I'm trying to just lean on God and not worry, but it's hard. As soon as I find something out, I'm going to call Sister and just talk about it with her.

[/quote]

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know what you are going through. My mother had this cancer over 25 years ago but they have much better treatments now. Hope and pray and trust in the Lord.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1322525533' post='2341912']
Thank you all for your prayers. They diagnosed her with Breast Cancer (probably Stage 2) today.
[/quote]

Prayers that they can help her with treatment.

I also know exactly what you are going through -- I was in the middle of applying to a community when my mom was diagnosed, also about 25 years ago. In retrospect, that became part of my discernment and the extra time is part of why I am where I am.... I am very grateful to God for all I learned, and know it was part of His beautiful providence. But this is a HARD thing to deal with in general, and very hard in the midst of the rest of the discernment stuff. I will pray and get others to do so. Feel free to PM if you wish.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I have some very exciting news to report!

I have been accepted for entrance into the community in August 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praise the Lord for His Goodness!!!!!

Also, sorry about the long hiatus. I'm going to try to keep this thread more updated from now on!!!

Edited by Lisa