An Old School Catholic Message Board

When Did You Tell Your Parents?

MarysLittleFlower

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I did not mention this. Not only do my parents and younger siblings know, pretty much everyone I know does too. If they are friends with be on facebook, they know, as soon as I figured it out I told virtually everyone. Looking back, I wish I hadn't. I wish I would have just told those who were close to me... :(

NovemberFourth

I didn't tell anyone in my family the first time I felt called. I was about 15 at the time and terribly shy. So, I pretty much tried to ignore the feeling (there was no internet then, nor forums like this, so it was hard to get information). Over the years the feeling came back and still I said and did nothing.
I only started to seriously discern many years later. I moved abroad for a while to make discernment easier and because I needed less distractions. I still said nothing.
it was only when I came back to the UK I broached the subject. My Parents are divorced and my Father is not Catholic. I told my Mother and she was a little shocked but very supportive. I tried to talk to my Father but he just shut me down. Saying "No" over and over again with an occasional "Never" and "Absolutely not!". He would not let me speak.
I am afraid to say he still will not accept it, nor even discuss it. Our relationship is extremely strained now.
I pray, that in time, this will all be resolved. I leave it in the hands of the Lord.
I wish I had a happier outcome to tell you about. I almost did not post this but I have read that even reluctant parents do "come round" eventually - especially if they see that their children are happy! :)

Edited by NovemberFourth

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320954516' post='2334416']
I did not mention this. Not only do my parents and younger siblings know, pretty much everyone I know does too. If they are friends with be on facebook, they know, as soon as I figured it out I told virtually everyone. Looking back, I wish I hadn't. I wish I would have just told those who were close to me... :(
[/quote]

When I first felt the call, I was so immature. I told everyone and didn't take it seriously. Now I can't discern with solitude. I'm on that boat with you.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320968494' post='2334585']

When I first felt the call, I was so immature. I told everyone and didn't take it seriously. Now I can't discern with solitude. I'm on that boat with you.
[/quote]
Thank you, I am glad someone is in the same situation. I was so excited and so I would just blurt it out. Now a days, I don't tell anyone new unless they ask about my plans for the future. This is part of the reason I had a week long "dark night of vocation" because I was worried if I was only doing this for the people who expected this of me or even myself. Now I have realized through the help of my Confessor that "If God wants me to be all His, He will not let anyone else get me and no one can change that. Not family, not friends." Period. I was actually concerned that if the time comes along and I am 20 and meet a guy and realize that this wasn't my call all along, I don't want certain people to be "upset" of course, there are those who do not want me to enter the convent and who think I am insane, but it is my own fault for telling them. I can't take back what's been done, and all I can do is run to the arms of my Beloved. This is what my sponsor told me yesterday that has brought me peace of mind at least in mine and her relationship:

[i][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Whatever vocation you choose in life will make me happy, if watching you become a mom instead of a nun will make me happy, then I get grand babies (well, kind of). WHATEVER you choose to do I will ALWAYS support unless you decide to do something very stupid then we will have a battle at hand. [/font][/size][/i][i][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I know you want to go to the convent now and you can not, period. It is was it is. So enjoy the ride called the next 5 yrs of your life, really enjoy it."[/font][/size][/i]

That really helped me, and that was only yesterday. What the future holds, I can't be sure, but I hope I end up in solitude with my Lord and my God (the cloister!)

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320969395' post='2334597']
Thank you, I am glad someone is in the same situation. I was so excited and so I would just blurt it out. Now a days, I don't tell anyone new unless they ask about my plans for the future. This is part of the reason I had a week long "dark night of vocation" because I was worried if I was only doing this for the people who expected this of me or even myself. Now I have realized through the help of my Confessor that "If God wants me to be all His, He will not let anyone else get me and no one can change that. Not family, not friends." Period. I was actually concerned that if the time comes along and I am 20 and meet a guy and realize that this wasn't my call all along, I don't want certain people to be "upset" of course, there are those who do not want me to enter the convent and who think I am insane, but it is my own fault for telling them. I can't take back what's been done, and all I can do is run to the arms of my Beloved. This is what my sponsor told me yesterday that has brought me peace of mind at least in mine and her relationship:

[i][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Whatever vocation you choose in life will make me happy, if watching you become a mom instead of a nun will make me happy, then I get grand babies (well, kind of). WHATEVER you choose to do I will ALWAYS support unless you decide to do something very stupid then we will have a battle at hand. [/font][/size][/i][i][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I know you want to go to the convent now and you can not, period. It is was it is. So enjoy the ride called the next 5 yrs of your life, really enjoy it."[/font][/size][/i]

That really helped me, and that was only yesterday. What the future holds, I can't be sure, but I hope I end up in solitude with my Lord and my God (the cloister!)
[/quote]

It goes by quickly. It feels like I was your age just yesterday. Next year, I'll be graduating.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Thank you for telling me that, it actually means a lot, because now I can tell people that it is NOT that far away.

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1320894093' post='2334121']
- when you decided you're called to religious life even if you don't know which order
[/quote]
That one

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320974569' post='2334652']
Thank you for telling me that, it actually means a lot, because now I can tell people that it is NOT that far away.
[/quote]
Seriously, it goes by so fast! Don't be too eager to wish away the last years of childhood. Enjoy them as much as possible!

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1320976907' post='2334666']

Seriously, it goes by so fast! Don't be too eager to wish away the last years of childhood. Enjoy them as much as possible!
[/quote]

This. I made that mistake. I really wish I would've soaked in more. I did what I thought was best at the moment. :) hahah

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1320979119' post='2334692']

This. I made that mistake. I really wish I would've soaked in more. I did what I thought was best at the moment. :) hahah
[/quote]
What is there to soak in? Maybe I am confused. I just wish I were making my live-in next week or entering or something. BTW, I think I am going to shoot an e-mail to your Lafayette Carmies tonight...

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1320980362' post='2334704']
What is there to soak in? Maybe I am confused. I just wish I were making my live-in next week or entering or something. BTW, I think I am going to shoot an e-mail to your Lafayette Carmies tonight...
[/quote]
Soak in the nonsensicalness of childhood! The older you get, the more responsible you have to be--meh, not as much fun (as I speak from my infinite wisdom of 18 years :rolleyes: ). There is a time for everything. You will make your live in and enter, if that is God's will, in its own time. Right now, it's your time to enjoy your teen years. Go to football/basketball games, dances, hang out with friends, get involved in clubs, go out of your comfort zone. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," is the Dumbledore quote I like to use.

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1320981629' post='2334716']
Soak in the nonsensicalness of childhood! The older you get, the more responsible you have to be--meh, not as much fun (as I speak from my infinite wisdom of 18 years :rolleyes: ). There is a time for everything. You will make your live in and enter, if that is God's will, in its own time. Right now, it's your time to enjoy your teen years. Go to football/basketball games, dances, hang out with friends, get involved in clubs, go out of your comfort zone. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live," is the Dumbledore quote I like to use.
[/quote]

how wise

The bible verses that bring me so much comfort is this.

Mark 10: 28-31

[b]28[/b] Peter began to say to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You." [b]29[/b] Jesus said,"Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel's sake, [b]30[/b] but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions ; and in the age to come, eternal life. [b]31[/b] "But many who are first will be last, and the last, first."

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1320982700' post='2334730']
The bible verses that bring me so much comfort is this.

Mark 10: 28-31

[b]28[/b] Peter began to say to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You." [b]29[/b] Jesus said,"Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or farms, for My sake and for the gospel's sake, [b]30[/b] but that he will receive a hundred times as much now in the present age, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and farms, along with persecutions ; and in the age to come, eternal life. [b]31[/b] "But many who are first will be last, and the last, first."
[/quote]
One of my all-time favorites!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1320981629' post='2334716']
[/quote]
Haha, "infinite wisdom of 18 years" :) I do get what you are saying. I am thirteen, and you are only 5 years older than me and 171 is only two years older than me. I have just been gifted with the lovely gift of impatience. :wacko: It's something I struggle with...