An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can We Be In Love At This Age?

GodsGrace

littleflower+JMJ

I never dated anyone until I went to college.

How's that for abnormal? :)

Seriously, though, I don't think most people get into serious relationships where they will be contemplating spending the rest of their lives with their girlfriend/boyfriend SERIOUSLY until college (I've known a few exceptions--and I mean girls getting hitched at 16-18 years old, just barely out of HS). Many of us "wise up" and get a better grip on our maturity when in college because once we're out of college we're on our own, we're "forced" to straighten up and be responsible. Others are just more mature due to the circumstances they grew up in/how they were raised.

Am I makin' sense there? I think I started to ramble...

thats what im saying, thank you princess!

and joyful is right, those ppl who your having "bad" experiences are ppl who are dating ppl who are not ready to start a "committed" relationship OR are not mature enough to be on the same page as you....

so, if your getting hurt, being lied to, or anything like that, know that that person is probably not the one for you....and move on!

God has our "future husband/wife" already for us, its up to us to pray for him or her and to trust God to do the matchingmaking (also pray to St. Raphael, patron of singles!)

i too will leave it up to God, i haven't dated anyone (believe me i'm from a small town, my choices smell of elderberries and i'm not lying either!LOL) but now that i'm going to college at least i will be open to it more than i already was...but i'm not all ignorant, i've seen my friends come and go with relationships...yup, the game of love is a hard game to play....but we all know that right?hehe

i bow down before the princess of love, you Ice! lol.

lol_grin.gif

TempleofVesarius

Once again my "study" was based ONLY on highschool realtionships...

Although I agree with much of what you are saying about maturity and to some extent communication of feelings ( I just think guys feelings dont change as often, lessening the need for constant communication thereof), I am still confused on one aspect of my lil study. If any of you ladies would like to explain it to me I'm open to your thoughts.

Why is it that group that had the most conflict seemed to be the girls and girls?

any answers?

It's because we're so much more emotion based than boys are. I'm sure they're will be girls who want to argue with me about this (which really just goes back to you question~ girls fighting with girls), but that's just the way it is. We get our feelings hurt, we get jealous, but like I said earlier all these emotions are what makes us such good mothers in the end.

TempleofVesarius

another random thought...

guys may be vauge and not share their feelings, but unless they are total jerks we dont FAKE ones we dont have, or imagine feelings that arent really there...ahem ahem

IcePrincessKRS

another random thought...

guys may be vauge and not share their feelings, but unless they are total jerks we dont FAKE ones we dont have, or imagine feelings that arent really there...ahem ahem

I'd have to say that the same applies to girls. That is, girls who fake their feelings are just as despicable as guys who do. (clearly most girls aren't vague about their feelings, hence the whole emotional deal, grudge holding, fierce loyalty and everything else that goes along with being super emotional creatures.)

Just a little FYI ToV~

I readily admit to having been all the things you keep complaining about at one point in my life or another, but I also try to focus on all the good that my emotional side as done for others. God created us this way and while we may misuse it at times, you should know guys do they same thing. In example, men tend to think that what they DO for people is more important than what they say. This can lead to scenarios such as fathers who mow the lawn and work all the time instead of telling their kids they love them. You see in that father's mind taking care of the lawn and being the bread winner is enough, but kids (and wives) need to be told that they are loved. They need to spend time with their father and hear that he loves them. This exact scenario is very common in American families and also explains the numerous kids out there who have poor relationships with their father. I know this because this explains my best friend's family to a T.

The point of all of that is don't be so negative and think that our emotions are always used for evil. It's a two way street.

IcePrincessKRS

imagine feelings that arent really there...ahem ahem

thats the big one in HS i think

I gotcha... the problem with that though, is I think those type of girls really DO think those feelings are real, but are mistaking things like infatuation with love. Hence back to your point about being mature enough to love and to know the difference between liking someone and Loving someone.

ToV....chill....you don't have to stress about this...I just wanted ya'lls ideas about an 18 really thinking she loves this guy. I mean Everyone talks & talks about all these things like chastity, drugs, alcohol, a great guy, someone who goes to church, & all that other "information" but truthfully all of it is true about my relationship with this guy. We both agree that sex or going close to sex is a no no until you're married, drugs, alcohol & the other "information" is not in our relationship, & he is a great guy. A great CATHOLIC guy...he's thinking about being a preist.which is amesome, but he better not after I tell him I love him!

GodsThespianChic

Dude! The brat wants to be a priest too?!?!?!

You have a thing with having guys turn to the religious life or gay!!

HiddenVoice

there were these girls I know that I used to hang out with alot. They thought they were going to turn me gay. I proved them wrong. I proved them ALL wrong. Expecially one. :rolleyes:

Voice

GodsThespianChic

Yes, yes he did prove quite quite wrong to one girl. But that's a different story. LOL!!

Edited by GodsThespianChic

wow I don't want to know GTC & HiddenVoice...anwyays......no Brat was thinking about it...I mean it's a great thought being a nun right?!

but who's to say I'm giving up having 10 kids for that! not me!

GodsThespianChic

Haha, ok...as long as he isn't as serious as the once dubbed by the guy at work...Priest Man!!!

It would really smell of elderberries if 2 guys in a row decided on that when you liked them!!