An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dreams Mean Anything?

Sarah147

Hello,

I just had a dream last night that the VD of the RSM talked to me in person. (I've never really met her in real life.) In this dream, Sister said that people that are really loving, sweet, gentle, etc. (she was meaning me) tend to want to share that with someone (spouse) and so they save themselves for regular marriage.

Any thoughts on this dream?

Edited by JoyfulLife

AccountDeleted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1322525002' post='2341908']
Hello,

I just had a dream last night that the VD of the RSM talked to me in person. Sister said that people that are really loving, sweet, gentle, etc. tend to want to share that with someone (spouse) and so they save themselves for regular marriage.

Any thoughts on this dream?
[/quote]

I don't place a lot of store on deams. I think they are the brain's way of sorting out all the input received over a period of time. Unless you have had some particularly psychic dreams in the past, I would just assume this is your subconscious trying to deal with a conflict between marriage and religious life. Maybe something to bring up with your SD?

InPersonaChriste

See I really don't believe in dreams, If I have been reading about school for to long or watching to many documentaries suddenly I will get a strange dream that adds everything into a jumble. I really don't think any dreams mean anything. Though I would sometimes be happy to be wrong.

Yeah, I will mention it to my SD.

Does that statement even make sense? I guess there isn't so much contact and lovingness between Sisters than in marriage?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1322526025' post='2341915']

Does that statement even make sense? I guess there isn't so much contact and lovingness between Sisters than in marriage?
[/quote]

A therapist would ask what the dream meant to you. that being said, I often have a dream where I think up some earth changing new idea, and when I wake up, I realise it is totally ridiculous. So we can think something is terribly profound when it really isn't.

There are loving women in both convents and in marriage. Both lifestyles are just different ways to express love for God and for each other. Don't try to read too much into it.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1322526025' post='2341915']

[/quote]

Well, I think the obvious difference is that sisters love each other like [i]sisters[/i] love each other. If you have sisters, and have strong relationships with them, that could be a basic model of the "contact and lovingness between Sisters" for you.

If you know a married couple who are willing to open up to you about their marriage, that could be a basic model of "the contact and lovingness" of married life.

Good luck with it.

And I don't think (nighttime) dreams mean a thing.

Edited by Luigi

I have had weird experiences with dreams.

I had a terrible nightmare about leaving the convent. I was not planning to do that at all, and it came as a nasty shock to my system when it happened. But I had that dream.

A year ago, I spoke to my mother on the phone just before bed. Once asleep, I dreamt she had a heart attack. When I woke up I called home right away, but my mother couldn't talk, because she'd been taken to the hospital for cardiac arrest.

Those are the two most dramatic examples I can think of off the top of my head ... but in general that sort of thing happens quite a bit; I have a bad feeling - I turn the corner and someone has an accident.

This is not a psychic power. Because of various reasons - the way I grew up, etc., my subconcious is hyper vigilant, constantly evaluating the environment for possible threats. It does this even when I am unaware. I dreamt that I was leaving the convent, because really my superiors had begun having serious concerns about me. They did not say anything about it and I was on a conscious level totally blind to it ... but my subconcious detected a change in the atmosphere ... in the way they were interacting with me. So that anxiety pushed into my dreams.

I dreamt of my mother's heart attack because my subconcious detected that she was feeling badly over the phone. She did not say she felt sick, and I went to bed thinking she was healthy as an ox. But under that conscious level, my brain was thinking it over and so it popped into my dreams.

My point is that your brain is doing the same thing when you dream - working out some anxiety, some issue, some perceived threat. Even if on a conscious level you totally don't have that concern ... your subconcious is working on it.

I would not dream that and think: "It's a sign about where I'm called." I would dream that and think "I obviously have some worries about the possiblity of nourishing relationships in religious life."

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1322530624' post='2341941']

I would not dream that and think: "It's a sign about where I'm called." I would dream that and think "I obviously have some worries about the possiblity of nourishing relationships in religious life."
[/quote]

I very much agree with this.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

My friend had a dream I was a Carmelite before I even told her I felt called to be one. She didn't even know what order it was in the dream, she was visiting me behind the grillein the dream, and she described the habit I was wearing in it, and I recognized it as the Carmie habit and no other.

My dad had a dream (almost 2 years ago) about St. Catherine of Siena and I think maybe another saint but my Dad didnt know who the guy was though. So St. Catherine put a gold veil and also she and that other guy kept on saying that I am "a sign" of something! Then St. Catherine took me away and then my Dad wanted me not to go and woke up yelling my name. I never told anyone about this dream......

But my dad has weird dreams to begin with.......

:|

she_who_is_not

My mom saw St. Michael when when she was pregnant with me (and driving home drunk from a cocktail party). I was born on the feast of St. Michael.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I for some reason have some really realistic dreams. So when I wake up from these dreams, I sometimes have a whole new perspective on things. I will say that i did have a dream about being a Dominican Sister of Mary, and I don't know what it is, but I have taken a really big interest in that particular order. It's weird, and I do have other dreams about people I know (guys, family, and friends) and then I have a new outlook on how things are in real life.

and to be really honest, my dreams freak me out because they're so realistic.

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1322538736' post='2341994']
I for some reason have some really realistic dreams. So when I wake up from these dreams, I sometimes have a whole new perspective on things. I will say that i did have a dream about being a Dominican Sister of Mary, and I don't know what it is, but I have taken a really big interest in that particular order. It's weird, and I do have other dreams about people I know (guys, family, and friends) and then I have a new outlook on how things are in real life.

and to be really honest, my dreams freak me out because they're so realistic.
[/quote]

you are a mystic!!! :o :P