An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dreams Mean Anything?

Sarah147

InPersonaChriste

I had my first spanish dream this year, I had to take care of my in-laws children.

The next thing i know is that I am on a plane with my mother to Chile in real life and I took care of my Niece's by entertaining them.

Mostly my dreams persist of something like a deja-vu
But other than that they are very strange and I do not like going deep into them.

When I was discerning with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, I had a dream that I was walking down the street from my house to the Church I was baptized in to go to Mass and Adoration. I was in the full Carmelite habit of the DCJs. Needless to say, that dream was moot, but I still think it will be neat to come home and be in the habit. :)

MarysLittleFlower

It said in a spiritual book that we shouldn't trust dreams too much.. sometimes God gives people dreams, but other times it's psychological or even demonic. I guess it's something to discuss with a spiritual director.

About your dream.. I have met many Sisters that are loving, sweet, gentle, etc.. and since this is something to share with others, - why necessarily share it with an earthly husband, why not Christ our Heavenly Bridegroom, or other people like the poor, the sick, etc - like Mother Teresa did? I guess that part of the dream I don't really understand.

We tend to dream about things that are heavily on our mind. If you've been discerning between marriage and religious life consistently, then it would not be usual for you to have a dream where marriage v. religious life was the subject. Only you really know what the dream meant to you, but I would say that if you have to ask or feel like you're reading into it a lot, just let it go.

brandelynmarie

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1322593043' post='2342189']

About your dream.. I have met many Sisters that are loving, sweet, gentle, etc.. and since this is something to share with others, - why necessarily share it with an earthly husband, why not Christ our Heavenly Bridegroom, or other people like the poor, the sick, etc - like Mother Teresa did? [/quote]

Loving people are needed everywhere! :kiss: :console: :priest: :nunpray: :buddies:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' timestamp='1322598221' post='2342237']

Loving people are needed everywhere! :kiss: :console: :priest: :nunpray: :buddies:
[/quote]
Including in marriage... it just depends on what God is calling you to! If everyone took MarysLittleFlower's advice, there would be no children with loving mothers. How sad!

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1322530624' post='2341941']
I would not dream that and think: "It's a sign about where I'm called." I would dream that and think "I obviously have some worries about the possiblity of nourishing relationships in religious life."
[/quote]

I totally agree! Are they nourishing? Hugs, smiles, laughs, someone to talk to, cry to, etc.?

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1322598318' post='2342240']
Including in marriage... it just depends on what God is calling you to! If everyone took MarysLittleFlower's advice, there would be no children with loving mothers. How sad!
[/quote]

I don't think MarysLittleFlower was saying anything against marriage. I think she was saying that a need for loving relationships does not necessarily mean being called to marriage.

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1322603337' post='2342269']

I totally agree! Are they nourishing? Hugs, smiles, laughs, someone to talk to, cry to, etc.?
[/quote]

Honestly, it varies by community and what you define as "nourishing." The Missionaries of Charity have a charism that emphasizes detachment - even when it comes to fellow Sisters. In my former community, there were great friendships and a TON of smiling and laughter. On the other hand, (at least in formation) - it was frowned upon to cry to another Sister or tell her your problems - that was supposed to be done with the Superior. Of course sometimes I didn't feel comfortable discussing an issue with the superior! Other communities have more flexibility. It all depends. The Missionaries of Charity do not hug one another, while other communities (my former one for example) are definitely "huggers."

Edited by Lilllabettt

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1322606155' post='2342275']

I don't think MarysLittleFlower was saying anything against marriage. I think she was saying that a need for loving relationships does not necessarily mean being called to marriage.

Honestly, it varies by community and what you define as "nourishing." The Missionaries of Charity have a charism that emphasizes detachment - even when it comes to fellow Sisters. In my former community, there were great friendships and a TON of smiling and laughter. On the other hand, (at least in formation) - it was frowned upon to cry to another Sister or tell her your problems - that was supposed to be done with the Superior. Of course sometimes I didn't feel comfortable discussing an issue with the superior! Other communities have more flexibility. It all depends. The Missionaries of Charity do not hug one another, while other communities (my former one for example) are definitely "huggers."
[/quote]

It's funny you should mention about the hugging thing because when I was visiting the RSMs, there were two Missionaries of Charity that would come to Mass and Holy Hour. During the Sign of Peace, I looked over, and, indeed, they never hugged each other or anyone else. They bowed with their hands in a prayer-like position.

The RSMs, on the other hand, do hug! I wasn't sure if they would or not, so I waited to see what the postulants/Sister did in my pew. They both were huggers. :hehe2:

I am a hugger and I love hugs!!!! can't get too much hugs...hugs actually make my day better!!! so if anyone hugs me that means alot to me....i dont think i would live long enough without hugs....no hugs would make me cry

I totally feel like that. Hugs are a w esome!

Mater, I don't hug at the sign of peace. But do you know how they are about hugging at other times? And about crying, talking to, laughing, etc. at the RSM? I guess I'm looking for what I get in friendships. It's part of what keeps me healthy -- mentally, emotionally, etc.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Alicia of the FSI gave me the longest, tightest hug when I saw her in January! I couldn't believe how much she missed me! Hugs say a lot.