Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread


Recommended Posts

MissScripture
Posted

Since I have taken to being housewife-y, I have really loved getting to bake and try new recipes. Today, I made pita bread for the 2nd time. It didn't puff at ALL this time (some did, some didn't last time). But I think I may have inadvertently let it rise WAY too much before I rolled it out. But it was still tasty. :eat:

Tomorrow, I am going to try making hummus to put on the leftover pitas.

dominicansoul
Posted

what is "F" baking? :hehe2: if it is what it sounds like, i'm shawked! hahahahahahaha

MissScripture
Posted

I don't know what you're talking about! :saint2:

MissScripture
Posted

I think my cursor jumped when I was typing elsewhere and I didn't notice it.

Posted

May I add things?

Posted

One of my resolutions is to learn to cook. :| I will be watching closely. :ninja:

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='rachael' timestamp='1322707929' post='2343017']
May I add things?
[/quote]
Sure. :)

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1322707967' post='2343019']
One of my resolutions is to learn to cook. :| I will be watching closely. :ninja:
[/quote]
I really like this cookbook: [url="http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-Cookbook-Everything-Today/dp/0764568779/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1322708177&sr=1-2-catcorr"]http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-Cookbook-Everything-Today/dp/0764568779/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1322708177&sr=1-2-catcorr[/url]
My aunt and uncle gave it to us as a wedding gift. And it's got a good mix of easy and more difficult recipes, plus it has a lot of explanations in there on how to make things. Some recipes are meh, but some are really, really good. Oh, and some are pathetically easy...like, I think they actually have a recipe for grilled coagulated milk. :rolleyes: And it is seriously bread and coagulated milk. Not anything fancy.

Posted

mikolbe will be proud

Posted

all the chicks....talking shop..

i'm a little verklempt....

:love:

Posted

I like a couple of cooking blogs..


[url="http://cookbookchaos.posterous.com/"][color="#2d76b9"]http://cookbookchaos.posterous.com/[/color][/url]



[url="http://t.co/Gx1L59Yv"][color="#2d76b9"]http://breadandnettles.blogspot.com/[/color][/url]

Posted

I have had to take my facebook profile down because my soon-to-be new community does not allow it. here is how I make pitas: This is 100% whole wheat, no salt, no sugar
[center]Flatbread Recipe:[/center]
[size="3"] [/size][center][color="#622423"]Ingredients:[/color][/center]
[size="3"]2 tablespoons yeast[/size]
[size="3"]2 cups water[/size]
[size="3"]4 cups hot water. Soy Milk may be substituted.[/size]
[size="3"]16 cups whole wheat flour[/size]
[size="3"]2 cups Olive Oil or Canola Oil[/size][center][color="#622423"]Instructions:[/color][/center]
[size="3"]1. Mix 2 cups whole wheat flour with the 2 cups water and yeast and let rise for 30 minutes in a large bowl[/size]
[size="3"]2. Put the remaining 14 cups of whole wheat flour into the large bowl[/size]
[size="3"]3. Add the hot water and olive oil[/size]
[size="3"]4. knead the dough for 15 minutes[/size]
[size="3"]5. let rise for one hour[/size]
[size="3"]6. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into 4 logs of roughly equal length[/size]
[size="3"]7. Cut the logs in half, in half again, and into thirds and roll each piece into a tight ball.[/size]
[size="3"]8. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees[/size]
[size="3"]9. Roll each ball into a circle of dough between ¼ and 1/2 inch thick. You can use a Tortilla Press to make the circles of dough. Bake 2 minutes[/size]
[size="3"]10. Serve hot.[/size]
[size="3"]11. Yield: 48 flatbreads[/size]

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Staretz' timestamp='1322759620' post='2343213']
I have had to take my facebook profile down because my soon-to-be new community does not allow it. here is how I make pitas: This is 100% whole wheat, no salt, no sugar
[center]Flatbread Recipe:[/center]


[size=3] [/size][center][color=#622423]Ingredients:[/color][/center]


[size=3]2 tablespoons yeast[/size]
[size=3]2 cups water[/size]
[size=3]4 cups hot water. Soy Milk may be substituted.[/size]
[size=3]16 cups whole wheat flour[/size]
[size=3]2 cups Olive Oil or Canola Oil[/size][center][color=#622423]Instructions:[/color][/center]


[size=3]1. Mix 2 cups whole wheat flour with the 2 cups water and yeast and let rise for 30 minutes in a large bowl[/size]
[size=3]2. Put the remaining 14 cups of whole wheat flour into the large bowl[/size]
[size=3]3. Add the hot water and olive oil[/size]
[size=3]4. knead the dough for 15 minutes[/size]
[size=3]5. let rise for one hour[/size]
[size=3]6. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into 4 logs of roughly equal length[/size]
[size=3]7. Cut the logs in half, in half again, and into thirds and roll each piece into a tight ball.[/size]
[size=3]8. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees[/size]
[size=3]9. Roll each ball into a circle of dough between ¼ and 1/2 inch thick. You can use a Tortilla Press to make the circles of dough. Bake 2 minutes[/size]
[size=3]10. Serve hot.[/size]
[size=3]11. Yield: 48 flatbreads[/size]
[/quote]

Thank you! I will have to cut it down to make it a bit smaller, since it's only me and the husband, right now. :hehe2: But I will give this a try the next time, since that's twice that this other recipe hasn't turned out quite right. :)

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I'm going to try my Granny's donut recipe... wish me luck, I've only observed my mom making it and the last time I was home for that was when I was in highschool... over 10 years ago. lol If they turn out properly, though, it's going to be amazing.

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1322775732' post='2343312']
I'm going to try my Granny's donut recipe... wish me luck, I've only observed my mom making it and the last time I was home for that was when I was in highschool... over 10 years ago. lol If they turn out properly, though, it's going to be amazing.
[/quote]

This sounds soooo yummy! I've wanted to try a few donut recipes, but have always decided against it, since me and Roamin don't need a bunch of donuts around tempting us. :hehe2:

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I'm going to mail some to my siblings if they turn out well. If they don't.... try, try again. At least flour is pretty cheap. :hehe:

brandelynmarie
Posted

It's (almost) always fun to eat any mistakes. :) My mom used to make fried donut holes with nutmeg & rolled in cinnamon sugar. :eat: Yum! Years ago I made them & they turned out really well.

MissScripture
Posted

I just made crackers that are similar to wheat thins. They're tasty, but I didn't roll them thin enough, although Idk how to roll them any thinner without breaking the rolling pin!

I also made the hummus, but it tastes like there is something missing...

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

I have that problem every time I try making hummus so I just go back to buying it. :blush:

Posted

Here is something else you might like. It is my base cookie recipe. I use this as the base of all my cookies.

[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]Here is my Cookie Base:[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1 Cup Melted Butter[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Teaspoons Baking Soda[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Cups Sugar (honey or brown sugar can be substituted for a different colour or consistency)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]1/4 Cup Molasses (for extra colour) (Optional)[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 Eggs[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]2 cups flour[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]Then, if I am making Chocolate Chip cookies, I add 2 cups of chocolate chips; if I am making Peanut Butter cookies I add 2 cups of Peanut Butter; If I am making oatmeal cookies, I add 2 cups of oatmeal and an extra half cup of butter. If I am making Ginger Snaps, I add an extra cup of flour and 1/4 cup of ginger. I think you get the picture from there! I won't put in the molasses if I will ruin the look of the cookie, so no molasses with Peanut Butter, Oatmeal or Coconut Cookies, for example.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][color=#333333]yield: 4 dozen cookies[/color][/font][/size]

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...