MissScripture Posted January 6, 2012 Author Posted January 6, 2012 I was thinking about this, and the only thing is, I think you might have to be careful depending on what veggies are used, because I know you have to blanch some veggies before freezing. Although, reading through the comments, she said she never blanches and has never had a problem. So, maybe it's just in there a short enough amount of time, that it doesn't affect it. But I know that long term freezing of some veggies without blanching first definitely results in not good veggies.
MissScripture Posted January 6, 2012 Author Posted January 6, 2012 After reading further in the comments, it sounds like her veggies do get a little mushy, but she doesn't mind that, so I guess it depends on preferences.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 7, 2012 Posted January 7, 2012 [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1325874449' post='2364003'] After reading further in the comments, it sounds like her veggies do get a little mushy, but she doesn't mind that, so I guess it depends on preferences. [/quote] Yeah, if it was something that would get mushy anyway I don't think I'd care. When I make things like soups or chili that has beans in it I always put them in during the last half hour or so. I guess if I had a vegetable that I really didn't want to get mushy I would chop it the night before and just toss it in during the last couple hours.
MissScripture Posted January 8, 2012 Author Posted January 8, 2012 Making egg rolls tonight. Going to eat a couple and freeze the rest. I love these things!
MissScripture Posted January 8, 2012 Author Posted January 8, 2012 I have stamps. I just forget to use them. But if you come visit, I'll share. And really, they're not terribly hard to make. I've been using a combo of these two recipes: [url="http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/07/05/homemade-baked-egg-rolls/"]http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/07/05/homemade-baked-egg-rolls/[/url] [url="http://www.cookingforseven.com/2011/09/homemade-egg-rolls-a-rant/"]http://www.cookingforseven.com/2011/09/homemade-egg-rolls-a-rant/[/url]
MissScripture Posted January 8, 2012 Author Posted January 8, 2012 Today I am making Cincinnati style chili (the only chili I will eat) and cheesy pizza casserole. By the end of today I will have 6 main courses in the freezer. That only leaves 22 more meals to account for after Peanut is born before my mom comes to visit and she can cook.
brandelynmarie Posted January 8, 2012 Posted January 8, 2012 That is a definite undertaking. Pizza could account for several of those meals.
MissScripture Posted January 8, 2012 Author Posted January 8, 2012 We have plans for Dominoes. Particularly this pizza (philly coagulated milk steak pizza): [img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-kcjoePctLWo/Tejgkzj0k0I/AAAAAAAAAYg/1-UvmUEgBlo/s1600/dominos+philly+coagulated milk+steak+pizza+recipe.jpg[/img]
brandelynmarie Posted January 8, 2012 Posted January 8, 2012 Let's see um, 22 meals - 5 pizzas = 17 freezer meals! A bit more managable. What other ideas do you have?
MissScripture Posted January 8, 2012 Author Posted January 8, 2012 I am also making the strawberry mango ice cream, today. I needed to use up some whipping cream.
brandelynmarie Posted January 8, 2012 Posted January 8, 2012 I wish you were my neighbor. Oh, the cooking we could do!
MissScripture Posted January 9, 2012 Author Posted January 9, 2012 The more cooking and baking I do, the more I love doing it! And I can at least pretend what I'm making is healthier than buying it, since I know what's in it.
brandelynmarie Posted January 9, 2012 Posted January 9, 2012 Organic butter & olive oil & sea salt. Yup. Way healthier.
MissScripture Posted January 9, 2012 Author Posted January 9, 2012 I've been trying really hard to avoid high fructose corn syrup. It's kind of ridiculous all the things its in!
brandelynmarie Posted January 9, 2012 Posted January 9, 2012 That & MSG. It's got different names or may even just be called "seasoning". I try to avoid HFC. Sometimes when I really want a soda I will drink Throwback Pepsi or Mexican Coke. Both are made with sugar. Not the greatest thing, but hey...Yeah, it's utterly ridiculous with the HFC.
MIKolbe Posted January 9, 2012 Posted January 9, 2012 I remember my mom used to use Accent, which is pure MSG. wow....what people didn't know back then...
brandelynmarie Posted January 9, 2012 Posted January 9, 2012 Oh my goodness, so did my gramma! I had no idea that was what that stuff was! Go figure . I can handle a little MSG now, but if I eat somewhere where it's used in copious amounts, my tongue will go numb & I may swell up like a puffer fish. Not the most fun side effects. I have to be careful.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now