IcePrincessKRS Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 [quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1326308629' post='2367057'] Yeah, that's how we used it. But since most of the rest of our cast iron was frying pans, I just didn't think about the fact that we could still use the dutch oven in the oven. And, since we're back home, I think I might make the chex mix tonight that I had intended to make for Christmas. It sounds like a good "comfort food" right now. [/quote] You can use your cast iron frying pans in the oven, too. My mother in law uses hers to make cornbread and things like that. I don't because I have a plethora of pyrex, but it's just another use for it.
MissScripture Posted January 12, 2012 Author Posted January 12, 2012 Yeah, we just have enough other stuff for that, and we only had so much storage space in the kitchen. I also didn't want my husband (or someone visiting, like my mom or dad) to forget and use the cast iron on the stove and damage the stove. I can't wait until we get our own house and I can get a non-glass top stove. The only nice thing about the glass top stove is that since we have almost no counter space we can use it for quite a bit. Just have to be sure not to set anything on it when it's hot! Or turn it on when there is other stuff on the stove.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 12, 2012 Posted January 12, 2012 Yeah, I had a really old stove in our first house that actually had built in counter space. One time I accidentally turned on the wrong burner and burned the cover to one of my cookbooks because I wasn't careful enough not to let it overlap. I stopped using that extra space after that, just in case. lol
MissScripture Posted January 12, 2012 Author Posted January 12, 2012 Well, I attempted to make tortillas with corn flour, today. That so did not work! Guess I'll stick with the flour ones.
brianthephysicist Posted January 14, 2012 Posted January 14, 2012 This might sound well beneath your level of cooking skills, but recently I've been baking fish in tin foil. It's really juicy and with the right seasonings tastes great!
MissScripture Posted January 14, 2012 Author Posted January 14, 2012 Actually, I don't eat fish, except for fish sticks. And I usually eat those with BBQ sauce I know, its so very classy! I just don't like the taste or smell of most fish.
MissScripture Posted January 14, 2012 Author Posted January 14, 2012 I did make shrimp once. I hated the smell and couldn't get it off my hands and gagged every time I smelled it. But it was for the birthday of the elderly lady I was caring for, so I was willing to do it...but never again!
brianthephysicist Posted January 14, 2012 Posted January 14, 2012 I always used to eat fish sticks with BBQ sauce until about a year ago when the Doctor showed me how to enjoy fish sticks and custard
MissyP89 Posted January 14, 2012 Posted January 14, 2012 MS, I made grilled coagulated milk tonight! It was a little deformed because I messed up flipping it, but it worked out. No one died.
MissScripture Posted January 14, 2012 Author Posted January 14, 2012 Yay! I've recently been eating a lot of that. For some reason I've just been craving it! So tasty!
MissScripture Posted January 14, 2012 Author Posted January 14, 2012 I am attempting to make cinnamon rolls. I've wanted to have some since last Sunday. Today we were either going to buy doughnuts or I needed to make cinnamon rolls. Hopefully they turn out. Yummy! I can't wait!
MissScripture Posted January 14, 2012 Author Posted January 14, 2012 OH MY GOODNESS! I HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED BAKING THEM AND THEY ALREADY SMELL AMAZING! MY STOMACH IS GOING TO EAT ITSELF BEFORE THESE COME OUT OF THE OVEN!
MissyP89 Posted January 14, 2012 Posted January 14, 2012 Wow, if your stomach eats itself, that would be a sight to behold...
MissScripture Posted January 15, 2012 Author Posted January 15, 2012 Especially since my belly looks like a basketball, right now. I should post my last preggo pic here. But Roamin hasn't put it on the computer and saved it as a jpeg (he takes them in a different format). I made stir fry for supper tonight. That was yummy. I think it's my favorite way to eat veggies. But really, when you add that much sodium to something (via soy sauce) I don't know how it can not be good.
brandelynmarie Posted January 15, 2012 Posted January 15, 2012 I use a Korean soy sauce I get at an Asian market. Comes in 1 liter bottles. Love that stuff. It does make everything taste good. >
MissyP89 Posted January 15, 2012 Posted January 15, 2012 Today, Mom and I made escarole soup. I spent forever rolling little tiny meatballs. Tedious, but always worth it...I'll be a happy camper come dinnertime!
MissyP89 Posted January 15, 2012 Posted January 15, 2012 So, in the summer, I think we should all make this. http://www.thekitchn.com/summer-recipe-nobake-strawberr-117900 With Jersey strawberries? Heaven!
MissScripture Posted January 16, 2012 Author Posted January 16, 2012 THAT LOOKS AMAZING! NOW I WANT SOME!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now