An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread

MissScripture

MissScripture

I know. Peanut is already a little stinker! But like I told Roamin, can we really expect anything less from a baby with parents like us? :hehe2:

brandelynmarie

This is so fun to have you guys sharing with the pham while at the hospital. :) If you don't respond, we will know you are ahem, very busy at the moment. :hehe:

MissScripture

Well, right now, we're actually back at home. Turns out that what they thought was me in labor wasn't, so we got sent home this morning, but it really means any time now!

Almost done with one batch of chex mix, only 1 or 2 more to go. I'm not sure what I have enough ingredients for. :drool: I can't wait!

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1326328132' post='2367234']
Well, right now, we're actually back at home. Turns out that what they thought was me in labor wasn't, so we got sent home this morning, but it really means any time now!

Almost done with one batch of chex mix, only 1 or 2 more to go. I'm not sure what I have enough ingredients for. :drool: I can't wait!
[/quote]

this thread make me so hungry...

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1326308629' post='2367057']
Yeah, that's how we used it. But since most of the rest of our cast iron was frying pans, I just didn't think about the fact that we could still use the dutch oven in the oven.

And, since we're back home, I think I might make the chex mix tonight that I had intended to make for Christmas. It sounds like a good "comfort food" right now. :smile3:
[/quote]

You can use your cast iron frying pans in the oven, too. My mother in law uses hers to make cornbread and things like that. I don't because I have a plethora of pyrex, but it's just another use for it. ;)

MissScripture

Yeah, we just have enough other stuff for that, and we only had so much storage space in the kitchen. I also didn't want my husband (or someone visiting, like my mom or dad) to forget and use the cast iron on the stove and damage the stove. I can't wait until we get our own house and I can get a non-glass top stove. The only nice thing about the glass top stove is that since we have almost no counter space we can use it for quite a bit. Just have to be sure not to set anything on it when it's hot! Or turn it on when there is other stuff on the stove.

IcePrincessKRS

Yeah, I had a really old stove in our first house that actually had built in counter space. One time I accidentally turned on the wrong burner and burned the cover to one of my cookbooks because I wasn't careful enough not to let it overlap. :blush: I stopped using that extra space after that, just in case. lol

MissScripture

Well, I attempted to make tortillas with corn flour, today. That so did not work! Guess I'll stick with the flour ones.

brianthephysicist

This might sound well beneath your level of cooking skills, but recently I've been baking fish in tin foil. It's really juicy and with the right seasonings tastes great!

MissScripture

Actually, I don't eat fish, except for fish sticks. And I usually eat those with BBQ sauce :smile3: I know, its so very classy! I just don't like the taste or smell of most fish.

MissScripture

I did make shrimp once. I hated the smell and couldn't get it off my hands and gagged every time I smelled it. But it was for the birthday of the elderly lady I was caring for, so I was willing to do it...but never again!

brianthephysicist

I always used to eat fish sticks with BBQ sauce until about a year ago when the Doctor showed me how to enjoy fish sticks and custard

MS, I made grilled coagulated milk tonight!

It was a little deformed because I messed up flipping it, but it worked out. No one died.