An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread

MissScripture

MissScripture

I made baked oatmeal for breakfast. Very tasty. I definitely prefer it over regular oatmeal, though I can now handle the texture much better than I used to.
For supper tonight I'm having homemade frozen pizza. I made the pizzas last Saturday, and we ate 2 and froze 6. Now I get to see how it actually works to bake it from frozen. I hope it works, because it's much tastier than regular frozen pizza. But stuff like this is making my husband push more and more for a chest freezer, since we can't keep ALL that much stuff in the freezer in the fridge.

IcePrincessKRS

I want a deep freezer, too. haha I totally sympathize with him on that. But before I get that I [b]need[/b] a new camera lens (my current main lens is on the fritz in a bad way, not focusing properly at all), then I want a serger, and then I want a new ice cream maker (the 2 quart Cuisinart one, plus an extra bowl). Right now I've been batting my eyelashes at Matt to convince him to let me have $150 for Mother's Day to buy the new lens (I already had saved up more than 2/3 the cost of it, but now that my old lens is even worse off I want the new one ASAP). *sigh* A deep freezer, chest or upright, is way on the bottom of my list right now. lol

I decided on chicken quesadillas for dinner, though. So at least something in my life is settled.

My wife does baked oatmeal all the time. She serves it to our children for breakfast and mixes it with plain yogurt.

IcePrincessKRS

I make oatmeal in my crockpot so it cooks while I sleep and it's hot and ready when everyone wakes up in the morning.

MissScripture

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1336501085' post='2428723']
I want a deep freezer, too. haha I totally sympathize with him on that. But before I get that I [b]need[/b] a new camera lens (my current main lens is on the fritz in a bad way, not focusing properly at all), then I want a serger, and then I want a new ice cream maker (the 2 quart Cuisinart one, plus an extra bowl). Right now I've been batting my eyelashes at Matt to convince him to let me have $150 for Mother's Day to buy the new lens (I already had saved up more than 2/3 the cost of it, but now that my old lens is even worse off I want the new one ASAP). *sigh* A deep freezer, chest or upright, is way on the bottom of my list right now. lol

I decided on chicken quesadillas for dinner, though. So at least something in my life is settled.
[/quote]
At the top of my list is a house! Another reason to get a deep freeze--we will have ROOM for the ice cream bowl! :smile3:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1336503907' post='2428769']
At the top of my list is a house! Another reason to get a deep freeze--we will have ROOM for the ice cream bowl! :smile3:
[/quote]

That'll be at the top of my list as soon as we're out of the Army. I shake in my boots at the thought of buying and having to sell it when we move again and NOT finding a buyer. When we buy another house I want that to be where we stay for a loooooooong time. :) If I got a deep freeze right now it'd have to be kept on my back porch. lol

MissScripture

Right now, it would be cheaper for us to have our own house, much larger than this one, than pay rent. But we need to settle his job situation a little better first. I don't want a deep freeze right now, because we'd have to get it INTO this house, which isn't the easiest task and into the basement. And then when we moved, we'd have to move it back OUT. And since we're not planning on staying here one way or another past the end of the year, that is a lot of moving it. I'm also still debating about size of a deep freeze. We definitely want a little bit larger one, but not the one that is creepy large and you half expect to find a dead body in it when you open it. :| The best part is, the ones I've seen that are that large have a "lock" on the lid. Really? Can you make that any creepier? :lol:

IcePrincessKRS

haha I actually like the idea of a lock to keep kids out. But that's another reason why the uprights are more appealing to me; less chance of a kid falling or crawling in and getting stuck.

MissScripture

I don't like the idea of an upright, because I think it would be harder to find stuff in it, and I would be at risk of an avalanche every time I opened the darn thing. Having a kid crawl/fall in never occurred to me. Though, that's probably because when we were little enough that something like that was a possibility, we never went in the basement where the deep freeze was. There were spiders down there!

cmotherofpirl

An upright is definitely much easier to get stuff in and out from, you can really cram lots of pizzas in it :)

IcePrincessKRS

I've got to agree with Cmom on this one. My sister, one of my friends, and my in laws have uprights (the in laws also have 2 large chest freezers... the garden and put up A LOT of produce, plus a lot of meat). I grew up with a large chest freezer in our basement, I was always afraid of falling in every time my mom sent me down to get something. lol The bigger chest freezers make things way harder to find, in my experience, because it's like stacking things down to the bottom of your washing machine. You only really see what's on the top. The upright is like a regular fridge, just move something aside on a shelf and you see what's behind. I'd find it easier to categorize in an upright, too. One shelf for meats, another for veggies, one for pre-made things like pizzas, etc. I had wanted a smaller chest freezer (I figured they'd be better space-wise if I needed to keep it in the house) until I looked more into the uprights, I'm pretty much converted.

MissScripture

I'd still be scared of an avalanche...Our old fridge freezer would avalanche on me, though I crammed an insane amount of food in that thing. We were never allowed to get atuff from the freezer when we were kids, because my mom didn't want us to mess it up.

IcePrincessKRS
:hehe: My mom's old skinny side-by-side freezer would do that occasionally. Heck, my overhead freezer does sometimes if I have it too cram-packed (and I usually do). I always have to do the hop-skip to avoid smashing toes. I can definitely understand the hesitation there, but I don't think I'd ever have a deep freeze full enough to overflow. I just want the extra space and possibility of having more stuff on hand when I need/want it. I try to keep stocked for about 2 weeks at a time, give or take, and having a deep freeze would definitely make that possible.