An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missscripture's Cooking And Baking Thread

MissScripture

MissScripture

I made hummus, today. Well, not very authentically, bit it was tastier than I had ever made it before, so it works for me!

It was the same recipe, but it was doubled, and it turns out it was the same one my sister used to make cupcakes for my wedding for a friend who is allergic to eggs! Making the cupcakes sure made me wish I could just call my sister up to ask her how she did it. Also, I'm not sure I mixed it well enough, because my mom thought there were mini chocolate chips in there, but it was just clumps of cocoa powder. LOL. All in all, not the best cupcakes ever, but they looked fantastic, so that's good enough for me! ;)

JohnPaulbirthdayextravaganza13_zps82e08b
I made Bob, Larry, Junior Asparagus, Jimmy Gourd and the French Peas. 

Those are SO DARLING, Miss Scripture!!!!!!    I'm glad that it came in handy - they DO look beautiful!   And I see one with a "1" on it.. I bet I know who THAT was for!!!!

It would make my mother so happy to know that her recipe came in handy... and it makes me happy, too!!!  it is a pretty good recipe, but it can be a bit tempermental.

I made a bundt cake with a double recipe of it for Christmas and took it to my 'not-so-young-adult' Group (We were YAs together about 20 years ago, and have continued to meet 3 times a month for TWENTY YEARS!!!!   We always have a potluck at Christmas, and since I'd given you the recipe, I made it for them, and everyone went gaga over it.  But I cooked it a bit long so it was a bit dry.   So, yeah, it can be tempermental.   Maybe it will resolve the problem for you to mix it little more next time.  One time I didn't cook it quite enough, and it had a really interesting molten center, and the guests thought it was deliberate... and that I was a fancy chef.   Giggle! 

All of us at the Potluck suspected that it probably dates from WWII... when people were having to make all sorts of recipes with odd proportions of things and make-do-without.  I still have a recipe around here in my mom's old cook book for 'mock apple pie' made with Ritz Crackers?  I have never had the nerve to try that one...

Edited by AnneLine

MissScripture

Baklava was something of a success. My brother and husband loved it, though I didn't think it was as good as at the Greek Festival. My mom pointed out that they have probably been making it for years. Also, my brother and husband said the version made with butter was superior to the version with oil, which is to be expected, but I wanted to be able to eat some, which is why I made one pan with oil. Definitley something I will try again. I loved making the phyllo dough. That was way easier to work with than I expected, and a lot of fun.

...I want baklava now. :|   Though I agree, the experience plus butter compared to oil, probably made a difference in how it tasted, but hey, you got to eat the fruit of your labors, so it sounds worth a minor difference!  And it still sounds so very very very good!

MissScripture

Oh, it was still good. I am just very critical of my own food. I also ruined a mixing bowl/lid and sourdough starter in the process of making the baklava. :| Turns out that its a good idea to remember what is in your oven before you pre-heat. :|

• 3 months later...

I made some of these blueberry cheescake popcicle bites!

They were very good!!! (only I made them with strawberries instead of blueberries)

blueberrypopsicle2.jpg

http://joandsue.blogspot.com/2012/08/blueberry-cheesecake-popsicles.html

They are super easy to make and very yummy!

Im not sure how old your wee one is but they could be baby safe too depending on the size!

MissScripture

He is dairy intolerant, so not for us right now, but when I finish with breastfeeding in a few months, I may have some myself. :evil:

:wacko: Is there something about babies I dont know?

How do you breastfeed a dairy intolerant child?

Or do you mean he will become dairy/lactose intolerant later?

I bet you could make something similar with like...that soy milk! Thats stuff is actually pretty darn good!! My sister is lactose intolerant so when I lived with my parents sometimes Id try some of that stuff and I thought it was pretty tasty! 

MissScripture

He is intolerant (or allergic. We didn't test since its treated the same- avoiding dairy) to a protein in cow's milk. It is passed through breastmilk, so both of us have to avoid anything with cow's milk as long as I am nursing him. We use a lot of coconut and almond milks.

MissScripture

Almond milk :drool:

The off-brand chocolate almond milk at the grocery store here is amazing! I found it way better than the chocolate almond milk from Silk or Blue Diamond.