An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning Single/josephite/marriage?

Sarah147

Hello,

So, I've only got two orders open to talking -- the RSM and the order in LA.

Now, if they both realize God isn't calling me, I will take it as time to discern single vs josephite vs marriage.

Where on earth do I begin?

And I KNOW this isn't MY TIME, but when God wills it... I know it could be years before something shows fruit.

God bless you! :)

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1323560404' post='2348748']
Hello,

So, I've only got two orders open to talking -- the RSM and the order in LA.

Now, if they both realize God isn't calling me, I will take it as time to discern single vs josephite vs marriage.

Where on earth do I begin?

And I KNOW this isn't MY TIME, but when God wills it... I know it could be years before something shows fruit.

God bless you! :)
[/quote]
What is Josephite? How old are you if I may ask, but if you are uncomfortable with that question it is ok. Just curious.

Late twenties. :)

Josephite is a marriage without sexual relations. It's focused on living chastity.

I was more focused on that when I didn't think I could manage children, but that fear is slowly fading. :)

StClare_OraProNobis

It makes sense that you might have been afraid of having children if you didn't think it possible for you to manage them. But what would be the attraction other than that to marriage without the marital embrace? Sex within marriage is an inherently GOOD thing!

I don't have any problems with sexual relations. My focus has been more about the children part. But I think fears and uncertainty, and never babysitting are a part of that.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Peace and Good Will to you, [b]Joyful Life[/b]!

I think that you should focus on discerning with the two orders you are in communication with. Knowing that you have a 'backup plan' to consider marriage or the single life is fine, but I don't think you need actively discern either of those at the moment.

Also...as for a Josephite marriage...I really think that is something that needs to be discerned [i]with[/i] a partner. The two of you would have to discern it together. It's an unusual situation, so not usually something that is sought out.

And...to be blunt....if you wait another 10 years or so to get married, you are unlikely to have the option to bear children, so perhaps that is a question to save for if/when the possibility of marrying a man arises!

FutureSister2009

I never heard of Josephite before. Interesting. Probably not something I would consider for myself. But praying for you

Well, I'm a few years older than you, and single, so....it's a reality I have to be aware of. I mean, there's always the opportunity to foster children who are in need of a temporary home and such, so I don't think that biological clocks have to determine parenthood options...but they do tick.

A lot can happen in a year, though, let alone 10, so it's not exactly something you have to worry about!

Having children, especially for women, is an issue that they have to take a strong good look at in whatever vocation they follow. In religious life there always comes a time when the baby thing starts nagging at you and you have to come to peace with it. It's good to be aware of that feeling.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1323571602' post='2348873']
I never heard of Josephite before. Interesting. Probably not something I would consider for myself. But praying for you
[/quote]

I think finding a 'Josephite spouse' would be a very difficult thing to do and as someone else has said here, it is something that BOTH parties need to discern. I think it would be more likely to occur with two friends who have both decided to live celibate lives and known each other for a long time and decided that sharing their lives would be of more service to God than living apart, rather than actively seeking out another person who wants to do this.

I also don't think it would be easy and would require the help of a spiritual director or priest to determine if this is indeed a calling from God because the main purpose of marriage is procreation. Even the Martins, who wanted to live a Josephite marriage were counselled by their priest to have children. The reason that Joseph and Mary didn't have relations is a little different - she already had a spouse, the Holy Spirit and was going to give birth to the Son of God.

Be sure to have a SD in on this discernment!!!

Edited by nunsense

I guess my main question and reason for this thread is how to discern between single VS marriage in general, if it comes to be that I'm not called to RL? Where would I begin?

Edited by JoyfulLife