Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Little Flower' timestamp='1324105093' post='2352698']
Do you have legitimate reason to believe they have? I don't think you have the right to judge them unless you do.
[/quote]
I do. For one, we live in a very connected world. It is hard to maintain an invincible ignorance about too many things nowadays. They are not sheltered, backwoods people. They are high profile, high income individuals. They are (presumably) educated.
They are not field laborers in rural Bhutan, or air fiddler engineers, or door hinge salesmen. Religion is their trade. Presuming that Mr. Tebow the Elder went to seminary somewhere, it is completely reasonable to believe that, at some point, they discussed other religions, or at least other Christian religions.
For these reasons, I have every reason to believe that they have, at some point (and likely at many points) been exposed to the Catholic faith. If they choose to believe that it is a false religion, they are well within their rights - and may in fact be correct; who of us can know for sure? - but then that decision is on their heads.

Posted

We're not true Broncos fans, but, more and more, we have found ourselves tuned into their games, and rooting for 'em. All of which has to do with Tebow and the way in which his team has been winning. At the very least, the Broncos games have been entertaining (even if only in the 4th quarter).

Of all people, Deion Sanders, made a very level headed comment on Tebow, it went something along the lines of: Tebow has been a winner at every level of football. He played at a high level in HS, and won. And did the same in college. We have no reason to doubt Tebow until he proves to unable to win at the professional level.

It seems to me that some former players recognize something in him that many that did not play NCAA/NFL are not seeing; which is telling. I'm rooting for the guy for no other reason than what he represents; and I think I'm fond of the under dog as it's a position I can relate to.

Posted

I hope no one misunderstands my position on the Tebow family - I have a ton of respect for Tim. I think he's an astounding football player. I think he has a superior work ethic. I think it's great that there's a guy who, by all accounts, is a sincere Christian in a career field filled with (apparent) hedonism and narcissism. It's just that I do not/cannot support the mission of his familiy's ministry. It's not like there aren't countries where there is a.) a need for charitable work and b.) there are a large number of people who have never heard the Good News. There are plenty of poor Muslim countries in Africa and the Middle East and plenty more poor atheistic or eastern religion adherent countries in Asia. It just rubs me the wrong way that they have selected one of the most Catholic countries on the planet to try and "evangelize".

Little Flower
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1324140490' post='2352802']
I hope no one misunderstands my position on the Tebow family - I have a ton of respect for Tim. I think he's an astounding football player. I think he has a superior work ethic. I think it's great that there's a guy who, by all accounts, is a sincere Christian in a career field filled with (apparent) hedonism and narcissism. It's just that I do not/cannot support the mission of his familiy's ministry. It's not like there aren't countries where there is a.) a need for charitable work and b.) there are a large number of people who have never heard the Good News. There are plenty of poor Muslim countries in Africa and the Middle East and plenty more poor atheistic or eastern religion adherent countries in Asia. It just rubs me the wrong way that they have selected one of the most Catholic countries on the planet to try and "evangelize".
[/quote]
thanks for clarifying... i dont agree with their mission either, i think they're good people though!

brandelynmarie
Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1324106050' post='2352703']
They are not field laborers in rural Bhutan, or air fiddler engineers, or door hinge salesmen. [/quote]

Air fiddler engineers? :huh:

Posted

The guys that fix air drums and air guitars. It's a highly specialized and rare field

Posted

Tebow is alright.

Rodgers/Rivers/Polamalu are all better. :)

Posted

Wow, look at the debate I seemed to have started...

Posted

[quote name='XIX' timestamp='1324224691' post='2353310']
Tebow is alright.

Rodgers/Rivers/Polamalu are all better. :)
[/quote]
This from a "faith-based rooting" perspective, to be clear.

Posted (edited)

Not from this Chief. Same goes for Rivers. He may be my brother, but on the field he is my sworn enemy.

Edited by KenW
Little Flower
Posted

[quote name='KenW' timestamp='1324266679' post='2353497']
Not from this Chief. Same goes for Rivers. He may be my brother, but on the field he is my sworn enemy.
[/quote]
huh? maybe im stupid, but i didnt quite get that :)

Posted

Ima Chiefs fan, and on the field, Tim Tebow and Philip Rivers are my sworn enemies! :banana:

dominicansoul
Posted

I think Jesus took a break from helping Tebow out yesterday :hehe2:

Posted

I got to see Tebow play when he was in college when I went to a Gators v. Ole Miss game. The Gators won, of course. :P

He used to attend the pro-life meetings at UF, so my good friend who ran the pro-life group there would tell us how their quarterback used to come and it was pretty razzle dazzle. Not many people knew who he was at that time, but it was still amesome that the QB of any major college the size of UF attended the Students for Life meetings. When I was at the game I mentioned, the people in front of me were talking about how he wouldn't be a QB today if his mom had listened to the advice to abort him... I thought it was very touching how much of an impact his life was and still is having on young people.

I *hate* the philters.

Posted (edited)

For Tebow fans who like comedy (from Saturday Night Live) - a video with Tebow and Jesus

[url="http://www.cathnewsusa.com/2011/12/tim-tebow-snl-skit-saturday-night-live/"]http://www.cathnewsu...day-night-live/[/url]


or Pope Tebow??


[quote] [b]Pope Tebow? (satire)[/b]


[img]http://www.cathnewsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/tebow_pope.jpg[/img]


Pope Benedict XVI announced that he will attend the Denver Broncos game against the New England Patriots. In an announcement that shocked Christians around the world, the Pope reportedly will travel to Denver, Colorado this Sunday to watch Tim Tebow play football.

A WWN source inside the Vatican said, “The Pope feels that Tim Tebow may be an angel sent to this earth and he wants to meet him in person - and bless him.” This will be the first time in the history of the Catholic Church that a sitting Pope will attend a major U.S. sporting event. ”Pope Benedict feels that humans are living through a very difficult time and that the Lord will send signs of peace, love and understanding to help us through these times. The Pope believes that Tim Tebow may be a light sent from God, here to help heal the world.”

The New England Patriots will not be intimidated by the Pope’s presence at the game. ”Look, it’s a football game,” a source close to Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. ”They have Tebow and the Pope. We have Tom Brady. I think our chances our better in the game.” Not so fast, Bill. ”The Pope does not plan to attend his first American football game and watch the team he is rooting for lose,” said an American Cardinal that will be traveling with the Pope. ”

The Pope is predicting a 42-0 victory for the Denver Broncos. He’s almost guaranteeing it.”


more...


[url="http://www.cathnewsusa.com/2011/12/pope-tebow-satire/"]http://www.cathnewsu...e-tebow-satire/[/url]

[/quote]

Edited by nunsense
Catholictothecore
Posted

What I don't get is how he was a god when he won 3 titles in a row for Florida, then he's croutons. What did he do, have a career ending injury while filming his commercial? He's definitively a beaver dam fine, NFL-quality quarterback.

And it should be noted that, as a whole, I find football kinda overrated. That doesn't mean I don't watch or understand it. I just think the game is overly hyped up. More of a flashy, made-for-TV spectacular culminating in the most dramatic "Tribal Council" possible than any actual sport. So it doesn't really matter anyways.

Little Flower
Posted

FOOTBALL IS THE BEST THING ON THE WHOLE PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!??!?!?!?

i live and breathe football :|

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...