An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Waiting A Legit Cross?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Claire,
Please try to live in the present moment. You can learn much about yourself, God, and others in doing so. You have so much in store for you as a teen if you just get yourself off the cross you have put yourself on. That's not to say you should push your desire to enter religious life into a closet and lock it away, but rather to take that desire and do good with it. There are so many opportunities out there to volunteer -- not just in the "world" but in the church as well. Get involved, get to know other people, get to know yourself better You might be surprised to see what you discover if you keep pineing away for something that's just not possible at the present time.

FutureSister2009

Another thing that's helping me is that this Christmas, I'm not going to be focusing on what I don't have and instead I'm going to focus on what I do have. I am so blessed and I know that there are so many people in this world who don't have what I have. Times are really rough right now, especially this time of year. So instead of being depressed and thinking about all this stuff that I want and can't have, I'm going to be happy because God has filled me with so many blessings this year.

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1324608497' post='2356164']
Hi Pham,

So... Something that I have been struggling with beyond belief lately is waiting. Waiting to enter and be in solitude with my Beloved, you guys know what I am talking about. It used to be that I couldn't go a day not wishing I were at the convent, but now it's worse. Every day I want it more and more and more and more. EVERY DAY. I have been struggling with this for weeks.
This is not a joke, even thought some people think so. I could not make up a calling like this... I obviously know I can't go now, but it is harder and harder each day. I know I am not ready, but I feel as though I need it...
Anywho, to my question. Could this be one of my crosses??? It certainly feels like a big one for me, and maybe it is. I feel like God wants me to carry this for Him, because His call is something I will have to wait for, if you know what I am saying...

FCC
[/quote]

You have to accept that you can't live that vocation now and that for now it is God's will for you to live in the vocation you have now. I know it's not always as simple as that but it's an important realisation to come to. Whatever life you are in, you are called to holiness and to the Love of Christ. And you can be holy and you can have that relationship with God whether you are in the world or in the convent. For now, you have to focus on living that call to holiness and love in your life as it is now. Perhaps that is part of what your soul is crying for at this time. I wonder if maybe you equate holiness too much with the convent and as now your soul longs for holiness (as it does for us all) you interpret that as a longing for the convent. That is not to say that your longing for the convent is not a true one, but that maybe you are overlooking that call to holiness. Christ is present in all our moments in all walks of life, we just have to open our eyes and acknowledge Him.

Also try not to get swept up in the romanticism and idealisation that can happen. I know that I am very prone to this. We have to remember to be realistic. Entering will not sweep away all your flaws and imperfections and suddenly everything will be perfect. There will be down days and up days, like any form of life. The important thing is that whatever vocation you are living, you are working for the praise and glory of God and living as He wills you to do. That is important, to focus on what is God's will, not what is your desire.

I know it is difficult and in that sense yes it is a cross to bear. But it is, like all crosses, one that can be overcome with the grace of God.

Emily, very good post. :) I think Mother Angelica said that the desire for holiness can be confused with a desire for religious life, I forget which way that goes, but often it's actually a desire for holiness misunderstood.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Thanks everybody. I'm not sure I'll be able to get to all these right now, but I will! I really, really liked BarbaraTherese's replies. It's my "over-coming of self" that is my cross. And St. Therese said that when her final profession was delayed and she was upset it was because of her own selfishness and un-willingness to wait that she felt these feelings, and that meant a lot. So, I have other crosses that I can easily identify as crosses, but this one was hard, and I get it now. Saint Therese said that she realized that suffering was the way that Jesus would bring her souls, I am feeling the same way. The more things I am suffering, the more God puts a soul in my life that needs help spiritually, asks for advice, etc. God is trying to make me a mother of souls before I enter the convent, and I know that as of recently. The keep coming to me, and it is actually a little strange how the harder things get, the more souls start coming to me for help.
Back to BarbaraTherese, yes, I am a weak, weak creature, and that is why this is so hard, and I totally get what you are saying at that was super helpful, and I will treat my impatience as a cross from now on.
I promise to get to the rest of you later on.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1324681077' post='2356542'] You have to accept that you can't live that vocation now and that for now it is God's will for you to live in the vocation you have now. I know it's not always as simple as that but it's an important realisation to come to. Whatever life you are in, you are called to holiness and to the Love of Christ. And you can be holy and you can have that relationship with God whether you are in the world or in the convent. For now, you have to focus on living that call to holiness and love in your life as it is now. Perhaps that is part of what your soul is crying for at this time. I wonder if maybe you equate holiness too much with the convent and as now your soul longs for holiness (as it does for us all) you interpret that as a longing for the convent. That is not to say that your longing for the convent is not a true one, but that maybe you are overlooking that call to holiness. Christ is present in all our moments in all walks of life, we just have to open our eyes and acknowledge Him. Also try not to get swept up in the romanticism and idealisation that can happen. I know that I am very prone to this. We have to remember to be realistic. Entering will not sweep away all your flaws and imperfections and suddenly everything will be perfect. There will be down days and up days, like any form of life. The important thing is that whatever vocation you are living, you are working for the praise and glory of God and living as He wills you to do. That is important, to focus on what is God's will, not what is your desire. I know it is difficult and in that sense yes it is a cross to bear. But it is, like all crosses, one that can be overcome with the grace of God. [/quote]

No, I know perfectly well that the religious life will be hard, but the world is hard too, so neither is perfect, and I get that. Trust me, I am not the one to over-romanticize the religious life, I am telling people all the time who think how nice it must be about how it's not all rainbows and daisies, but if it's your calling, that's where God wants you and my will is His Will even though it's hard sometimes. That brings me back to my original problem, I need to recognize that God's will is for me to become a mother of souls NOW and to help those in the world NOW, and to enter the convent later. I get that, it is just hard.

I do not HATE childhood and nor am I wishing it away, I just feel as though the call is so strong, and it is over-coming me, but it's not. The call is strong and I am dwelling on something I can't have.
Just to remind everyone, this is not something new or has changed. I have wanted to be a Carmelite since I was 7, this is not new.

[quote]I have wanted to be a Carmelite since I was 7, this is not new. [/quote]

Perhaps, this yearning could be a call to deepen your prayer life, because regardless of what state in life we choose, we have to pray.

FutureSisterClaire: [quote]Thanks everybody. I'm not sure I'll be able to get to all these right now, but I will! I really, really liked BarbaraTherese's replies. It's my "over-coming of self" that is my cross. And St. Therese said that when her final profession was delayed and she was upset it was because of her own selfishness and un-willingness to wait that she felt these feelings, and that meant a lot. So, I have other crosses that I can easily identify as crosses, but this one was hard, and I get it now. Saint Therese said that she realized that suffering was the way that Jesus would bring her souls, I am feeling the same way. The more things I am suffering, the more God puts a soul in my life that needs help spiritually, asks for advice, etc. God is trying to make me a mother of souls before I enter the convent, and I know that as of recently. The keep coming to me, and it is actually a little strange how the harder things get, the more souls start coming to me for help. Back to BarbaraTherese, yes, I am a weak, weak creature, and that is why this is so hard, and I totally get what you are saying at that was super helpful, and I will treat my impatience as a cross from now on. I promise to get to the rest of you later on. [/quote] :like2: Praise The Lord for His Many Gifts to us! Sometimes through the most unlikely of vessels which makes His Gifts shine the more! I had a peek at your profile thinking that perhaps you were still only in your teens - but your birthdate says you have travelled beyond those years. God bless and ever hold you close. Just as well I looked again at your profile just now after first looking last night. I can't count! You are indeed very young and displaying signs of spiritual maturing - Gift of God! At 16yrs I was accepted to enter Carmel at 21. I had no idea back then the most amazing and often painful journey I was to travel. I desired Carmel, God had other plans and plans for my fulfillment in ways I could never ever imagine. I remember reading in the midst of pain in Scripture "To The Lord I went on your message. If you will be content to remain in this land of yours, all will be rebuilding now not destroying".

Edited by BarbaraTherese

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1324688264' post='2356606']
I have this theory that waiting is a vocation.
[/quote]
That is a great theory and I think so too!! What a great thing to say.

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1324687814' post='2356598']
FutureSisterClaire:

:like2: Praise The Lord for His Many Gifts to us! Sometimes through the most unlikely of vessels which makes His Gifts shine the more!

I had a peek at your profile thinking that perhaps you were still only in your teens - but your birthdate says you have travelled beyond those years. God bless and ever hold you close. Just as well I looked again at your profile just now after first looking last night. I can't count! You are indeed very young and displaying signs of spiritual maturing - Gift of God!
At 16yrs I was accepted to enter Carmel at 21. I had no idea back then the most amazing and often painful journey I was to travel. I desired Carmel, God had other plans and plans for my fulfillment in ways I could never ever imagine. I remember reading in the midst of pain in Scripture "If you will be content to remain in this land of yours for all will be rebuilding now not destroying".
[/quote]

Thank you so much and you have been very helpful for me today. :) That scripture quote was beautiful. :love:

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1324688264' post='2356606']
I have this theory that waiting is a vocation.
[/quote]

Well said. Perspective and Attitude!

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1324688723' post='2356610']
That is a great theory and I think so too!! What a great thing to say.

Thank you so much and you have been very helpful for me today. :) That scripture quote was beautiful. :love:
[/quote]

Perspective and attitude - you are in the noviciate of The Lord.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1324688958' post='2356616']
[/quote]
Thank you :)

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' timestamp='1324688958' post='2356616']
[/quote]

What a lovely way of putting it! I want to be there too