An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Waiting A Legit Cross?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Totus Tuus' timestamp='1324688264' post='2356606']
I have this theory that waiting is a vocation.
[/quote]\
Let's make it a Phatmass law! It was upgraded from theory to law! :)

Because I love Him

Hi Clare,

I totally get where you are coming from, I new about my vocation since I was thirteen (I am now 15) and that first year was the hardest of my life. I wanted so bad to be a religious and for a while I thought about going to the Pope to pull a Saint Theresa. But then through prayer and thought I realized that I still need to grow alot more and that this waiting is meant to help me. I'll post later all the things that been helping me cope with waiting but right now I need to get ready for Christmas!!!

Because I love Him

Hi Clare,

I totally get where you are coming from, I new about my vocation since I was thirteen (I am now 15) and that first year was the hardest of my life. I wanted so bad to be a religious and for a while I thought about going to the Pope to pull a Saint Theresa. But then through prayer and thought I realized that I still need to grow alot more and that this waiting is meant to help me. I'll post later all the things that been helping me cope with waiting but right now I need to get ready for Christmas!!!

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='Because I love Him' timestamp='1324750475' post='2357021']
Hi Clare,

[/quote]
Thanks, and yes it is hard...

Clare-

It seems like at 17 I'm older than you, though please correct me if I'm wrong. Waiting is indeed tough (seminary for me). But, think about it: you have this time to make yourself useful. Learn what the Church needs from its nuns. Prepare for it. For example, I know that one of my first assignments when I'm a priest will probably be Texas, far away from my own Pittsburgh. Therefore, I'm going to learn Spanish in college. I believe that the current war for America can only be won by taking the internet. Therefore, I'm probably going to major in communications with a multimedia focus. See where I'm going? You have time; use it wisely. Make yourself someone with something special to offer. Look around and see what you'll need in the convent. Then go and acquire it.

[quote name='Because I love Him' timestamp='1324752996' post='2357036']
Hi Clare,

[/quote]

Before I entered religious life at 18, I didn't really think this, but now I do: the more life experience you have before going into religious life, the better, for some people. That's not to say you need to date as many guys as possible or anything, but definitely finishing high school, having had some kind of job in the world, and -depending on how you feel God is pulling you- maybe having had a relationship first, is a good idea. I'm not saying you should go out and date just FOR the experience. That would be wrong, obviously, but the more experiences we bring to religious life, sometimes the more mature we are when we get there. I think of myself when I entered after high school, and myself after college, and there's a huge difference in my perspective of the world and how I perceive my own challenges and difficulties. Granted, one of the major formative experiences in my life was the year between leaving the monastery and trying to discover where God wanted me. But I do think there is a very good reason why some communities don't accept candidates unless they have 2+ years of work or college experience. If I were to start a community, I would probably have that same rule.