An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Music, So Far Away...

Sarah147

Hello,

As I've been discerning RL these past few years and started to live a more contemplative/Sisterly life, it came natural after awhile to discontinue most listening to secular music (except jazz, classical, etc.)

I used to be an avid listener to the popular pop/rock music on the radio most of my childhood/teenage years, and most of it made me kind of miserable.

Anyway, there is something about most secular music that I find is a downer. What is it? Maybe because they are living such a different life than Catholics and lack a spiritual view of life, so their message and melody/music is kind of shallow/bleak. Something about listening to secular music just seems to remind me of my days before my conversion, and brings me down. It also seems to bring down my mood and prayer at that time.

Anyone else like this?

I've found that as I discern, my music taste has changed. Not on purpose but I find myself listening to Gregorian Chants and religious-themed classical music. When I listen to my old music, I often end up turning it off and being in silence. I still enjoy it sometimes but my taste is overwhelmingly changing.

MarysLittleFlower

I find this too.. I listened to secular music before but now I'm more drawn to classical or Gregorian chant or Christian music.

MargaretTeresa

I listen to a lot of secular music still - mostly because I don't have that much jazz and classical. While a lot of it makes me sad, it reminds me that there will always be need for people who want to help others out of the bleakness of today's society.

But that's just me.

I seem to be the odd one out. :)

I can listen to, and enjoy, most secular music. Many of the love songs make me think of my relationship with my Lord. :nun1:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGS263lGsQ[/media]

Although, some secular music is a little spiritual...

Edited by JoyfulLife

Pax_et bonum

I disagree. I went to a workshop at NCYC about music, and the lady was talking about how most of the music today does send a good message. Though, in my opinion, you have to take it with a grain of salt. She gave the example of Firework by Katy Perry; the message is be yourself, you're special sort of line. Though as Christians we need to make the distinction between be yourself and be the you God made you to be. We see in the music video with the two guys kissing why the distinction needs to be made. You can pray with some secular songs. I generally don't, but I have friends that do.
I mostly listen to Christian music, classic Disney (I'm talking Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Little Mermaid, the good stuff!), wrock (aka wizard rock or Harry Potter music), and I don't even know how to classify the last small category I listen to. I pray more with the Christian music I listen to, but I still try to give God glory when listening/singing/playing secular music for the beautiful work He's done in the artists and thanking Him that I can sing and play even if it's mediocre :hehe2: Just my humble thoughts.

Music is interesting in what types of effects it can have on people. My favorite type of music is 70s rock, and obviously most of that was not exactly *trying* to be godly (with some exceptions). So, I find that part of me has to rebel against the music, in that while listening to it, part of me says 'no' and disagrees with the message (even if I like the song).

I liken this to the [i]carpe diem[/i] poem by Christopher Marlowe: [url=http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/passionateshepherd.htm]The Passionate Shepherd to his Love[/url]....and the retort by Sir Walter Raleigh: [url=http://www.luminarium.org/renlit/nymphsreply.htm]The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd[/url].

In similar manner, one has to do 'The Catholic's Reply to Billy Joel' while listening to 'Only the Good Die Young.'

Eventually....that can become tiresome. My solution for quite some time has been to flip back and forth between classic rock stations and contemporary Christian music stations when I'm driving. Because...the Christian music is positive and upbeat, and I don't feel I need to challenge it.

And keeping the classic rock around can be good. Sometimes a phrase of the music can remind you of something holy, even if the artist didn't intend that. For instance, Elton John's 'Tiny Dancer' (with the line 'tiny dancer in my mind) makes me picture a little ballerina you could hold in your hand...but reminds me that my outward posture does not have to reflect my inward posture. So, if I want to kneel to pray 'in my mind' I can just picture the tiny dancer, and she can be on her knees praying...even if I am not. This is particularly useful for praying when one is out and about - sitting on a bus might not be the best time to kneel, but it is a good chance to pray. I'm not saying this is a reason to listen to classic rock, of course.

Sometimes....I *am* angry. And frustrated. And I see nothing wrong with listening to music that is angry, too. It's not quite like blowing off steam, but, it can help, in a way, I guess. My roommate and I dubbed this song 'Physics Music' during college - because it expressed our emotions while doing physics homework so well. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lg2AAXaWCU[/media]

This isn't even my favorite song by this group; I much prefer [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix_mG-ETPFo]Sacred[/url] or [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eBL8GhvQnk]Time Stands Still[/url]

And other times, I like to listen to bluegrass or Irish music. It's fun dancing music :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TezgCpPuys[/media]

It doesn't surprise me that musical taste is something that changes and grows as we do.

InPersonaChriste

I listen to calmer music now.. Like the Head and the Heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jFyOsY54M&list=PL202797BA821A11B1&feature=mh_lolz

I still like upbeat music, but I prefer more calm.

faithcecelia

I still listen to secular music and did during my time at Q also. I have rather eclectic tastes and enjoy most types. In some cases I am blown away by the talent that God has given the artist (whether they acknowledge it as from God or not!) and other times I find he music brings me closer to God, even though it was almost certainly not the aim of the song.

For me it's a question of whether it's good art. I listen to a lot of secular music and find that if it's really, really well made and the lyrics are like poetry, then it transcends the purpose it might have been made for. I hate 'Christian music', not because I have anything against listening to something a Catholic or Protestant created, but because it tends to be terrible art!

mysisterisalittlesister

It depends on the type of secular music. the night before my sister entered an order, we just listened to fun secular music. I find some upbeat songs with a good message a lot of fun to listen to, but I LOVE good Christian music! I love Toby Mac :love: I suggest listening to [i]some [/i]good fun secular music once in a while :)

brandelynmarie

I am very eclectic in my musical tatses. :stereo: But what I find funny is that in the car I'd rather be in silence or pray the rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy or the Jesus Prayer. I started listening to contemporary Christian rock again as well. :cans: :dj: And occasionally I listen to 70's or 80's rock, jazz, chant...I very rarely listen to any current music. I actually watched a music vid by Paramore recently & I was appalled at the message that I obtained from it. :(

Oh & just remember, there are even "cursing" Psalms when one does get in a mood. :hehe2: So yes, I believe music can be cathartic...can be healing.

Possibly the mistake we make (I include myself) is in thinking that music has to have a 'message' or even 'positive message'. It sort of shows that we don't trust the music itself to be iconic. Flannery O'Connor talks about this in her very amusing and thought-provoking essays. There was a movement to improve the moral standards of the laity by infiltrating popular novels etc. with pious themes ... but due to the limited creativity of the priests etc. who were writing these books, it ended up backfiring. She basically slams art that are 'pious trash', i.e. poorly written, only ever set in a Catholic family within a fictional Catholic world with lots of references to church-going, and a predictable 'positive message'!!! She argued that an excellent piece of 'secular' art would lead people to know God better than pious bad art. From my own experience I think I agree.

Don't get me wrong, JoyfulLife, like you I've been listening to more religious music as this whole nun thing has progressed, but generally just liturgical music, and also in an effort to learn how to sing the services. And I'm not positing myself as having the right answer, this is just how I think about it :)