An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Music, So Far Away...

Sarah147

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1326028544' post='2364948']
For me, I've noticed I've far less of a need to listen to secular music. Don't get me wrong, I love a good beat. I used to do a lot of ballroom, latin and swing dancing and my ipod is full of the music. But... I haven't actually listened to my ipod for several months. I find I prefer to be in silence.

Also, I've noticed my reading tastes have really changed. I used to love historical romances (don't judge me!). In the past year I've no desire what so ever to start reading one of them. I think God is gradually filtering my tastes so they're more in line with what will help me in my vocation, rather than disturb me. Does that make sense?
[/quote]

Definitely :)

(I like historical romances too :hehe2: but I just don't seem to have the headspace for them these days.)

Edited by marigold

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this some more and realised it's [i]recorded[/i] music I don't like as much. It just seems to grate really quickly. Whereas live music is great still. I don't know why this might be?

I listen to a 50/50 mix of Christian rock/worship music, and "secular" rock.

I enjoy a lot of classic rock, "oldies" and modern indie/alternative rock. I'm a huge fan of Irish folk-rock stuff. Bands like Flogging Molly, The Pogues, or Scythian.

Does it hinder my spiritual life? Not at all! In a way it almost enhances it. I'm not a monk locked up in some monastery. God allows me to enjoy life, and good music. Mostly because I have self control. Sure, some of the songs I listen to have cussing in them or some sort of "secularistic" theme, but I don't allow it to influence me in any way.

I am a drummer, and I get sick of drumming to Hillsong United, Matt Maher, or the David Crowder Band, and have to pop on some Skynard, or Coldplay.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

My favorite kinds of music are Catholic hip-hop and Gregorian Chant! :) I do enjoy some kinds of secular music and I agree with MargaretTeresa when she said that it reminds us of how the world needs Christ.