An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Those Of You Who Are Curious...

Queen'sDaughter

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This topic made me curious about the timetable of my hopeful future community: St. Cecilia's Abbey, IoW[/font][/size]

[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]4.45: Rise[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]5.15: VIGILS Half and hour of private prayer follows Vigils; Angelus rung as bell for Lauds[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]LAUDS[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Breakfast (c. 7.35-7.50) Church bell for PRIME[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Lectio Divina[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]9.30: MASS with TERCE[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Novitiate: lesson then work[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Community: work[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.43: Angelus[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.50: SEXT[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Dinner[/color][color=#000000]Washing up/vegetable preparation[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Recreation[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]2.40: NONE[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Novitiate: Office preparation, work, study[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Community: work[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4.45: Tea[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5.00: VESPERS[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lesson and/or lection[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6.25: Private prayer then Angelus[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7.00: Supper[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Washing up[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Recreation[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8.00: COMPLINE followed by the Great Silence[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lectio Divina[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9.20: Curfew[/font][/size][/left]

Edited by EmilyAnn

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1326726963' post='2369953']
It's not as hard as you might think; the body gets used to it even if Brother Arse never quite enjoys it. No one's died from it yet :P There's something awe-full about rising to pray in the middle of the night. Everything's dark outside. It's like the only thing that exists at the moment is God and the others in the church praying with you, yet the reason you get up is to pray for the world and to praise God, of course.
[/quote]

Well, this is very worrying for me, as I believe I have a sleeping disability. If I haven't gotten enough sleep, you can wake me up just fine the first night, but the second night will be impossible to wake me up. People stand me up to wake me and I don't. If I remember correctly, I fell off the top of a bunk-bed on a hard wood floor and did not wake up. This causes some concern, especially since my sister told me that if I couldn't wake up the Religious Community will eventually tell me to leave.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1326729398' post='2369972']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This topic made me curious about the timetable of my hopeful future community: St. Cecilia's Abbey, IoW[/font][/size]

[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]4.45: Rise[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]5.15: VIGILS Half and hour of private prayer follows Vigils; Angelus rung as bell for Lauds[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]LAUDS[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Breakfast (c. 7.35-7.50) Church bell for PRIME[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Lectio Divina[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]9.30: MASS with TERCE[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Novitiate: lesson then work[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Community: work[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.43: Angelus[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.50: SEXT[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Dinner[/color][color=#000000]Washing up/vegetable preparation[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Recreation[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]2.40: NONE[/color][/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Novitiate: Office preparation, work, study[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Community: work[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4.45: Tea[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5.00: VESPERS[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lesson and/or lection[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6.25: Private prayer then Angelus[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7.00: Supper[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Washing up[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Recreation[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8.00: COMPLINE followed by the Great Silence[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lectio Divina[/font][/size][/left]
[left][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9.20: Curfew[/font][/size][/left]
[/quote]

Oh, how fortunate you are. Here's mine:

12:00 am: Matins
6:00 am: Exposition/Lauds/ Angelus Common Hour of Meditations in Chapel
7:20 am: Mass in the Friary Chapel/re-exposition after Mass
8:00 am: Terce/Personal Holy Hours
8:15 am: Breakfast in Community
8:45 am: Personal Holy Hours/Work/Study/Apostolate
12:00 pm: Sext/Angelus/Reposition
12:15 pm: Dinner in Community
1:00 pm: Work/Study/Apostolate
3:00 pm: None
3:10 pm: Work/Study/Apostolate
5:00 pm: Vespers/Holy Hour before the Exposed Blessed Sacrament
6:20 pm: Supper in Community
7:00 pm: Work/Study/Apostolate/Personal time/Recreation
9:00 pm: Compline/Rosary
10:00 pm: Grand Silence

Edited by FuturePriest387

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1326729398' post='2369972']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This topic made me curious about the timetable of my hopeful future community: St. Cecilia's Abbey, IoW[/font]

[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]4.45: Rise[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]5.15: VIGILS Half and hour of private prayer follows Vigils; Angelus rung as bell for Lauds[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]LAUDS[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Breakfast (c. 7.35-7.50) Church bell for PRIME[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Lectio Divina[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]9.30: MASS with TERCE[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Novitiate: lesson then work[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Community: work[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.43: Angelus[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]12.50: SEXT[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Dinner[/color][color=#000000]Washing up/vegetable preparation[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Recreation[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]2.40: NONE[/color][/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Novitiate: Office preparation, work, study[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Community: work[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4.45: Tea[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5.00: VESPERS[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lesson and/or lection[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6.25: Private prayer then Angelus[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7.00: Supper[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Washing up[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Recreation[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8.00: COMPLINE followed by the Great Silence[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lectio Divina[/font][/left]
[left][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9.20: Curfew[/font][/left]
[/quote]

When I did my live-in they got up a little later and went to bed a little later with Matins before bed. I found it very tough going when I was there. If they offer you an early night take it. I tried to soldier on and ended up exhausted and didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I'd just taken it a little more easier.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326742071' post='2370059']
Well, this is very worrying for me, as I believe I have a sleeping disability. If I haven't gotten enough sleep, you can wake me up just fine the first night, but the second night will be impossible to wake me up. People stand me up to wake me and I don't. If I remember correctly, I fell off the top of a bunk-bed on a hard wood floor and did not wake up. This causes some concern, especially since my sister told me that if I couldn't wake up the Religious Community will eventually tell me to leave.
[/quote]

Oh dear! That's not good. I suppose all you can do is try a live-in. If its for you you'll manage somehow. Read Mother Angelica's biography if you can. She found it very difficult to kneel down for all the praying and her knees swelled up. They were about to send her away when she asked St. Therese for help and the swelling disappeared.

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1326742390' post='2370062']
When I did my live-in they got up a little later and went to bed a little later with Matins before bed. I found it very tough going when I was there. If they offer you an early night take it. I tried to soldier on and ended up exhausted and didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I'd just taken it a little more easier.
[/quote]

Thank you, I'll definitely have to consider that when I eventually (hopefully) do a live-in there. Luckily for me I'm not someone who needs massive amounts of sleep and I like getting up relatively early anyway (not 5AM but more like 7).

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1326742569' post='2370064']
Oh dear! That's not good. I suppose all you can do is try a live-in. If its for you you'll manage somehow. Read Mother Angelica's biography if you can. She found it very difficult to kneel down for all the praying and her knees swelled up. They were about to send her away when she asked St. Therese for help and the swelling disappeared.
[/quote]

I've listened to her biography by Raymond Arroyo, but that's still not helping me with this concern. The first night they will most likely wake me up just fine, but the second night they won't. My only option would be to stay up from ten to twelve, and then get only five and a half to five hours of sleep every night, which will simply make it impossible for the Brothers to wake me up[u]. [/u]

Don't worry so much! God won't call you to a community whose life you cannot lead. Maybe by the time you are ready to join, your sleep issues will be resolved or at least improved from how they are now. Maybe not. Just trust God; He knows what He's doing.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326743692' post='2370074']
I've listened to her biography by Raymond Arroyo, but that's still not helping me with this concern. The first night they will most likely wake me up just fine, but the second night they won't. My only option would be to stay up from ten to twelve, and then get only five and a half to five hours of sleep every night, which will simply make it impossible for the Brothers to wake me up[u]. [/u]
[/quote]

I apologize, I didn't mean to belittle your concerns. Have you talked to the community about this? My understanding is that most communities ease postulants into the timetable. With the grace of God I hope your difficulties will resolve themselves when it is time for you to enter. Prayers

[quote name='Aineiora' timestamp='1326509115' post='2368670']
Hello!
Mostly a "lurker" here (although I hate the term - I prefer introvert observer). My daughter is there at the Carmel and the "quiet time" is code for nap time and there is some slight flexibility in the schedule with feast days, special visitors, etc. In the years that we have gotten to know the rhythms of Carmel, we have found that there is a proper sensibility built in within the rules and care is taken to ensure that Sisters who are " under the weather" are given proper consideration. Anecdotally speaking, I can attest that they are very happy and their schedule is not too onerous.
Pax Christi!
[/quote]

What is it like to have a daughter in Carmel? Do you get to visit much?

[quote name='DameAgnes' timestamp='1326748690' post='2370108']
What is it like to have a daughter in Carmel? Do you get to visit much?
[/quote]

What is it like? Hmm...... many things come to mind. As parents, we feel privileged that God has graced us to have a daughter who is such an example of how we all should strive towards holiness. We are so very happy that she is so very happy and fulfilled (and we always know where she is and what she is doing!). We know we are blessed in that not only do we have her praying for us and all of our intentions, but all of her sister Sisters pray for us as well. Also, we know of at least two vocations (one seminarian and one postulant) that we have been told were fostered by her example and prayers. And even though she had to drag us as parents to the idea of her being a cloistered contemplative, Carmel is the perfect fit for her. The Carmel is wonderful and I can't say enough how lovely all of the Sisters and Reverend Mother and Mother Mistress are. There is a good reason why they have been bursting with vocations.

The flip (selfish) side of course is the constant reminder of our final embrace moments before she entered, when I said through my tears, "This is the last time I will ever get to hug you." Her reply was, "I'll hug you forever in Heaven, Momma." So, that is hard. Holidays are hard. Observing through the years how so much more settled and detached (in a good way) she is tugs on our hearts. And when we do visit, the separation reopens the wounds of when we left her that very first time. We both tend to go through another mourning period after our visits, but I think it gets a bit easier each time.

As far as visiting her, we are allowed a 2-3 day visit once a year and a 30 minute phone call on or about her birthday. Our phone call was actually yesterday and it was so lovely to talk to her! We also write each other once a month (except during Lent and Advent). Thank you for asking!

Pax Christi!

[quote name='Aineiora' timestamp='1326754497' post='2370146']
What is it like? Hmm...... many things come to mind. As parents, we feel privileged that God has graced us to have a daughter who is such an example of how we all should strive towards holiness. We are so very happy that she is so very happy and fulfilled (and we always know where she is and what she is doing!). We know we are blessed in that not only do we have her praying for us and all of our intentions, but all of her sister Sisters pray for us as well. Also, we know of at least two vocations (one seminarian and one postulant) that we have been told were fostered by her example and prayers. And even though she had to drag us as parents to the idea of her being a cloistered contemplative, Carmel is the perfect fit for her. The Carmel is wonderful and I can't say enough how lovely all of the Sisters and Reverend Mother and Mother Mistress are. There is a good reason why they have been bursting with vocations.

The flip (selfish) side of course is the constant reminder of our final embrace moments before she entered, when I said through my tears, "This is the last time I will ever get to hug you." Her reply was, "I'll hug you forever in Heaven, Momma." So, that is hard. Holidays are hard. Observing through the years how so much more settled and detached (in a good way) she is tugs on our hearts. And when we do visit, the separation reopens the wounds of when we left her that very first time. We both tend to go through another mourning period after our visits, but I think it gets a bit easier each time.

As far as visiting her, we are allowed a 2-3 day visit once a year and a 30 minute phone call on or about her birthday. Our phone call was actually yesterday and it was so lovely to talk to her! We also write each other once a month (except during Lent and Advent). Thank you for asking!

Pax Christi!
[/quote]

I am always so moved to read posts from parents of priests and religious (especially moms) like you and NunMother and Tradmom. It's the support of parents that really help to grow vocations.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1326746402' post='2370091']
I apologize, I didn't mean to belittle your concerns. Have you talked to the community about this? My understanding is that most communities ease postulants into the timetable. With the grace of God I hope your difficulties will resolve themselves when it is time for you to enter. Prayers
[/quote]

Well, I've decided to start going to bed by eleven and wake up at seven. Then, in about two months, I'll start going to bed at ten, and start waking up at six, and eventually I'll start waking up at twelve and do the schedule the Brothers do. That way, when I join them, there will be no problem. I do apologize for blowing my concerns out of proportion. I was simply in despair. Yes, it's hard to wake me up, but that's simply because I haven't had enough sleep, and it's because I stay up late. And all of that is because I let my body get all of the sleep it can get. Why, I can sleep for eleven hours and still feel tired. All I need to do is discipline my body's schedule, and it will fall in line. I think I read somewhere that teens require eight hours of sleep, and that if I go twenty four days having lost one hour of sleep each day, I'll feel like I've been up an entire day, but that shouldn't be a problem if I discipline my body to take less. If I change my sleeping habits I can do the Brothers' schedule just fine.

Thank you for your prayers. I'll send some back at you. Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to pray for?

Edited by FuturePriest387

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1326814062' post='2370483']
Well, I've decided to start going to bed by eleven and wake up at seven. Then, in about two months, I'll start going to bed at ten, and start waking up at six, and eventually I'll start waking up at twelve and do the schedule the Brothers do. That way, when I join them, there will be no problem. I do apologize for blowing my concerns out of proportion. I was simply in despair. Yes, it's hard to wake me up, but that's simply because I haven't had enough sleep, and it's because I stay up late. And all of that is because I let my body get all of the sleep it can get. Why, I can sleep for eleven hours and still feel tired. All I need to do is discipline my body's schedule, and it will fall in line. I think I read somewhere that teens require eight hours of sleep, and that if I go twenty four days having lost one hour of sleep each day, I'll feel like I've been up an entire day, but that shouldn't be a problem if I discipline my body to take less. If I change my sleeping habits I can do the Brothers' schedule just fine.

Thank you for your prayers. I'll send some back at you. Is there anything in particular that you'd like me to pray for?
[/quote]

Hopefully you'll be able to adjust your body clock. I would be grateful if you could pray for my discernment and to pay off my debts so I can enter religious life if that's what the Lord wishes of me.