An Old School Catholic Message Board

Newt Gingrich Controversies

PhuturePriest

[quote name='GregorMendel' timestamp='1328301482' post='2380503']
One Word: Integrity.

I dont see it in that man.
[/quote]

Agreed. You either have honor, or you don't. And if you're a serial adulterer, you do not.

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1328366088' post='2380830']

Agreed. You either have honor, or you don't. And if you're a serial adulterer, you do not.
[/quote]Just to play devil's advocate here, what would you say about Mary Magdalene?

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328386592' post='2380984']
Just to play devil's advocate here, what would you say about Mary Magdalene?
[/quote]

the woman who was never actually a prostitute?

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1328124701' post='2379054']
I don't even know if that was in this thread or on facebooks. I am entirely too popular.
[/quote]

That should be your custom title.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1328395306' post='2381046']
[/quote]

She was an adulteress.

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1328396142' post='2381054']
She was an adulteress.
[/quote]
I don't see what age has to do with it.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1328395306' post='2381046']

[/quote]I realized this evening that the woman at the well might have been a better choice for this question. Danke!

I believe that people can have remarkable conversions that change them from the inside out. I am a living witness to that. However, usually when one has lived a life of sin and they have that conversion, they are painfully aware of all their failings and offenses against God and the people in their lives. When Newt was questioned about his adultery and divorces, his reply was,
[i]“There’s no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate.[/i]
He didn't say, yes, I was a sinner and I am horrifed I regret all my sins and I thank God for coming into my life. No, Newt blames his actions on the passion he felt for our country, his hard work drove him to what??? Sleeping with his aids? Betraying his marriage vows? No personal blame here. He did it for the good U.S. of A. I know that I have to sort of judge someone if I am considering him as a candidate for President. Newt may have found God, in some context, but I think he is the same arrogant, power hungry, narcissist that he has always shown himself to be. Santorum is a man who knows God. Him I could vote for without fear of vomiting in the voting booth. If my choice is Newt or Obama, I have to vote for Newt. I think Newt is a weasel, but I know Obama is pure evil. Sometimes the weasel is the best choice.

[quote name='Deb' timestamp='1328456219' post='2381468']
I believe that people can have remarkable conversions that change them from the inside out. I am a living witness to that. However, usually when one has lived a life of sin and they have that conversion, they are painfully aware of all their failings and offenses against God and the people in their lives. When Newt was questioned about his adultery and divorces, his reply was,
[i]“There’s no question at times of my life, partially driven by how passionately I felt about this country, that I worked far too hard and things happened in my life that were not appropriate.[/i]
He didn't say, yes, I was a sinner and I am horrifed I regret all my sins and I thank God for coming into my life. No, Newt blames his actions on the passion he felt for our country, his hard work drove him to what??? Sleeping with his aids? Betraying his marriage vows? No personal blame here. He did it for the good U.S. of A. I know that I have to sort of judge someone if I am considering him as a candidate for President. Newt may have found God, in some context, but I think he is the same arrogant, power hungry, narcissist that he has always shown himself to be. Santorum is a man who knows God. Him I could vote for without fear of vomiting in the voting booth. If my choice is Newt or Obama, I have to vote for Newt. I think Newt is a weasel, but I know Obama is pure evil. Sometimes the weasel is the best choice.
[/quote]This is probably the best response I have ever heard to Newt. I don't think we'll have to worry about him vs. Obama at this point, especially after Nevada last night, but this was a great response to him.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/409405_3134744008731_1268733572_3270455_1261864708_n.jpg[/img]

185 Reasons Newt Gingrich is right about a permanent lunar presence.

[url="http://io9.com/5879639/here-are-185-reasons-a-permanent-moon-base-is-a-great-idea"]http://io9.com/58796...is-a-great-idea[/url]

Edited by qfnol31

Was talking to my pops about Newt. He agrees with me--his marital transgressions would fall under the "private" sphere if he were anything but a "public" figure. But because he's running for elected office, his cheating ways are fair game.

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1328467458' post='2381560']
185 Reasons Newt Gingrich is right about a permanent lunar presence.

[url="http://io9.com/5879639/here-are-185-reasons-a-permanent-moon-base-is-a-great-idea"]http://io9.com/58796...is-a-great-idea[/url]
[/quote]
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over your war drum.

I will have you know, that website is about as far from a Newt Gingrich supporting website as I have seen. I can't believe you'd deny me my opportunity to escape this world and live on the moon. :(

Wow, I stopped reading this thread after the first page so excuse me if somebody else already made these points, but as for Newts ethical problems while speaker, all 83 charges were dropped, he resigned under pressure from his republican party cohorts after a poor republican showing in the 1998 congressional elections, he was not censored as some have claimed here. Newts personal life carries more weight than Clintons, who was convicted for perjury under oath before a grand jury and actually the ONLY President to ever have been impeached? Most either are too young to remember this but Clinton was impeached, the senate decided to not prosecute the impeachment, (removing him from office) to save the country further embarrassment as he was in the last term of office. By the way Andrew Johnson was impeached by the house of reps but beat the impeachment in the senate making it null, a fact that the left seems to either ignore or just lie about to lessen the shame of the Clinton presidency.

Christians are not perfect just forgiven, I read this on a bumper sticker once, I, nor any here know the truths of what went wrong with Newts personal life and marriages, his wife that leveled the allegations against him is however publicly known to be mentally unstable. I hope as a converted catholic that he is right with God and that when he reaches purgatory my prayers for him may get him to heaven and that he may pray for me when its my turn to suffer.

If one wants a true moral, conservative and pro-life candidate waste your vote on Rick Santorum, I wish he were the front runner with all the money, but its Mitt Romney. Mitt is about as pro-life as Obama is. His healthcare plan for N.H. was the model for Obama-care and is bankrupting the state and is a failure, Mitt was quoted as saying his healthcare plan provides for abortions to minors with one parents consent, BUT, if the minor wanted an abortion he had provisions for her to seek a judges approval to supercede the wishes of the parent(s).

Saint paul was a patriotic persecutor of christians, a womanizer and sinner by his own accounts, yet he was chosen as a disciple. I wonder if Newt is ready at this juncture in his life to readiliy admit he was a sinner, many non catholics do not even beleive in confessing their sins to a priest, many catholics have at times in their lives been hesistant or ashamed to admit their sins to a priest despite being formed in the faith knowing of the seal of confession and that the priest is acting in the personna of Christ while forgiving their sins, I know this as I was one of those catholics in my youth. My point, how can anyone begin to judge Newts catholicity by whether or not he wants to [u]publicly[/u] announce he was wrong or a sinner, which by the way is not part of our catholic faith.

ed

Edited by Ed Normile