An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Habit Thread

the171

Alright, there is another thread about this, but I couldn't find it. I'll be dressing as St.Edith Stein for a youth rally. Somehow, Sr.MJ gave me permission to borrow one of the old habits for this. SO EXCITED! Big problem though: Sr.MJ and all of them being cloistered and me not being at the monastery, no one can explain to me how to get the habit on. I'll have one explination and I'll be on my own from there. So I wanted to start this thread so that 1) a better understanding of the habit could be formed; 2) so that I could figure out how to get that dang thing on and have something I could refer back to. So all you former religious who wore the full habit: how do you pin that veil? The wimple, how to get it on? What are the layers of the habit? What other things should I be aware of? I need all the help I can get here, bruh! Lol!!!

PhuturePriest

I'd love to help, but unfortunately, I'm a man, and men's Habits are no-brainers when putting on, especially since I'm a Franciscan man. But, I think I might be able to help a bit. What Order is this?

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1328070779' post='2378793']
Alright, there is another thread about this, but I couldn't find it. I'll be dressing as St.Edith Stein for a youth rally. Somehow, Sr.MJ gave me permission to borrow one of the old habits for this. SO EXCITED! Big problem though: Sr.MJ and all of them being cloistered and me not being at the monastery, no one can explain to me how to get the habit on. I'll have one explination and I'll be on my own from there. So I wanted to start this thread so that 1) a better understanding of the habit could be formed; 2) so that I could figure out how to get that dang thing on and have something I could refer back to. So all you former religious who wore the full habit: how do you pin that veil? The wimple, how to get it on? What are the layers of the habit? What other things should I be aware of? I need all the help I can get here, bruh! Lol!!!
[/quote]

Even though I never wore a habit, I have seen pictures of your Carmelites and I think it's probably fairly easy to figure out. I'll list each item piece by piece with a description:

[b]White long undergarment[/b] -- one piece dress underwear that you wear under the habit; not all Carmelites wear this as some orders choose to wear t-shirts instead.

[b]Brown Tunic[/b] -- this is the full dress part of the habit; they usually have snaps or zippers

[b]Wimple[/b] -- the Carmelite version is a soft cloth version instead of the hard plastic; you should be able to slip in on over your head and this covers all your hair leaving your face uncovered (this is the piece that the veil is pinned to)

[b]Brown Scapular[/b] -- just slip over head ;)

[b]Veil[/b] -- most Carmelite orders that use the old veils instead of the modified, form-fitting ones use straight pins (without the colored ball at one end) to pin the veil to the wimple

[b]White/cream mantle [/b]-- goes over the habit and has a toggle loop

[b]Black belt or Cincture[/b] -- wear under scapular and around tunic

[b]Rosary[/b] -- hangs from cincture on left side (like a sword)

Definitely wear [b]sandals[/b] with the habit if you want to be a true Discalced Carmelite! ;)

I have not worn a habit either but I think Mater did a pretty good job explaining it. I'm guess that you will have a black veil so if you have straight pins with black heads on them you should be ok.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaBlVtZY3U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBaBlVtZY3U&feature=related[/url] This is from a movie about St Therese it shows her taking off the habit starting about 2:13. I'm not sure if that would help at all.

How do you pin the veil? Like, where do the pins go? How do I pin them where they don't stab me? hahaha And the wimple, does it tie in the back? How does it tie? What little things should I keep in mind? What can I NOT DO in the habit? (like activities in which the habit will get in the way. A good game of ninja? Climbing over chair mountains? Building mattress forts? hahaha)

As far as the pins. I have been told "Very carefully". It looks like there is only one pin in the Carmelite habit but there could be as many as three (one on top and one on each side). I asked a novice once and she said even after over a year of wearing the veil she still stabs herself sometimes.
The wimples that I was shown buttoned in the back. so I think just a simple knot will do.

Any other things I need to know? Secret compartments? Invisible mantle? Veil pin tricks? Can I pull a bunny from under the scapular?

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1328160595' post='2379485']
Let's play a fun game of "Pin the Veil on the Novice!" The less pins you use, the more points!
[/quote]
rotfl

I am soo suggesting that as a retreat game....

Faith Cecilia once posted an in depth guide to how all the habit pieces fit together and I have looked for it but can't find it. Maybe someone else remembers. It may have been in among all the posts we wrote about nunny underwear and personal requirements.....just danged if I can't remember what that thread was called! (It's worth a read!).

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1328175901' post='2379519']
Faith Cecilia once posted an in depth guide to how all the habit pieces fit together and I have looked for it but can't find it. Maybe someone else remembers. It may have been in among all the posts we wrote about nunny underwear and personal requirements.....just danged if I can't remember what that thread was called! (It's worth a read!).
[/quote]
I think I found the thread that you are talking about.
It was originally titled "Bathing Customs In Communities"
After searching through the thread I found this post by Faith

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Obviously, you hav[/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]e [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]under[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]wear, and in winter some sisters would have thermals or wear leggings - I had taken some but never once wore then, it was just too hot for me.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Then you have the cotte ([/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]under[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]skirt, shorte[/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]r than the habit) and a top - at Q we wore 'normal' tops, like a t-shirt or jumper in winter, NH have tunics in either white or beige.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Over that goes the habit. This is usually fairly shapeless, though that does vary again, and does up the front with poppers or a zip. Then the belt and the collar (this is Carmel, or course) or tocque depending which they wear. Then the scapular over that. Cardigans on top when cold - I found these better than m[/font][/color][color=#000000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ore [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]under[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]c[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]lothes as they were far easier to add and remove when necessary![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As we had old style veils but without tocques, we had to have something to pin them to, so had a choice of fabric bands, triangles or caps, then the veil on top."[/font][/color]

The layers is not something I'm super worrried about. Thanks though! What rreallyworries me is the pin thing. Hahhaha! I'll be the one to pin the veil to my scalp. What's the best method of pinning? Where should I pin the veil? And, already asked, can I climb chairs in that thing? When we stack those chairs, sometimes you get stuck in a valley below chair mountains.. hahah! The hotel gets mad sometimes...

The layers is not something I'm super worrried about. Thanks though! What rreallyworries me is the pin thing. Hahhaha! I'll be the one to pin the veil to my scalp. What's the best method of pinning? Where should I pin the veil? And, already asked, can I climb chairs in that thing? When we stack those chairs, sometimes you get stuck in a valley below chair mountains.. hahah! The hotel gets mad sometimes...