[quote name='the171' timestamp='1328659510' post='2383272']
I'm a G. LOL
[/quote]
You might be a G, but I'm an H. :|

rotfl

Edited by FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1328667441' post='2383372']
I'm uch a G that I went around the alphabet. Twicee.
[/quote]
Sorry, no come back for that. :|

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1328936106' post='2385297']
Little over 5 days till I see my Carmies again... :)

Oh, and get the habit
[/quote]

You must be very excited.!! God Bless. :nun2:

I can't link any images of this congregation...
anyway you can see their website:

[url="http://www.suorecistercensi.org"]www.suorecistercensi.org[/url]

They are a cistercian congregation with an apostolic work. They are in Italy, Uganda and Brasil.

Edited by organwerke

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1328510709' post='2382161']
Oh, what a loss to the community. I remember seeing her investiture pictures that she posted and thought she looked so happy. I hope she finds the vocation God is calling her to.
[/quote]

Would like to just point out that it wouldn't be a loss to the community. I will try to remember to keep her in my prayers today.

[quote name='InPersonaChriste' timestamp='1329061754' post='2385916']
Would like to just point out that it wouldn't be a loss to the community. I will try to remember to keep her in my prayers today.
[/quote]

That's not really what I meant. I know that if you don't have a vocation to the community that it's best that you leave and find what God is truly calling you to. I shouldn't have written that. That's not what I think at all. ;)

Kind of off topic, but..... I watched the Nun's Story on Turner Classic Movies last night. I've seen it many, many times and it never ceases to touch my heart. Not just because it is an extremely gripping story, but also because of what might have been in my life. While I was watching, I began thinking about all of you who are discerning and wondering how alike or dissimilar you are to the soon to be Sr. Luke. It's a wonderful story that can be transposed into the locus of our world in 2012 simply by chaning names, events, dates, etc. I believe it's as relevant today as it was when it was written and for the time-frame in history in which the story was told. I had tears in my eyes during several parts of the movie ---- interesting that I cried at some parts this time that I've never cried at before. I think it's due to listening to your stories, your struggles, your joys, your sorrows as you travel through discernment and beyond. You all have touched my life deeply with your courage, strength, determination, and desire to find God's true will for your lives. You are all a blessing!

Bear in mind that there are some very large differences between the period of "The Nun's Story" [1927 to 1943, approx.] and now.
1] In Europe of the time, particularly Catholic countries like Belgium, there were almost no professional nurses who were not nuns. Even the government hospital in the [then] Belgian Congo was staffed with nursing sisters. Today, a very devout Catholic could easily train for nursing without becoming a nun, and even work in missionary work [as Mithluin is doing] without becoming a nun. Lay nurses became common only during the War years.
2] There was much less discernment; postulant groups were quite large, and there was a considerable stigma to leaving a convent. It was also quite difficult to do so. Vatican II changed a great deal [the order the real Sister Luke belonged to gave up the classic habit some years ago].
3] The whole issue of "singularization" is approached differently now. I doubt that Sister Luke's innovations would have brought her into difficulties with her superiors during the past couple of decades in the way they did prior to V2. The huge emphasis on detachment from everything [including her sisters in religion: "We never touch another sister, of course", etc.] seems to have been toned down a bit.
4] Lastly, reading a review of the book written by a priest [on Amazon], I was struck by his comment that "today, Sister Luke would not have lasted even a year" in a convent because she was so obviously "not the right personality for religious life". Apparently, back then, virtually anyone who applied to enter was allowed to do so.

I agree that both the book and the film are very inspiring; but IMHO one has to be a bit cautious--it was such a different time.

Oh! Is that what Francis Clare meant? I just took it to be generally about young women entering convents and that she is inspired by them (us?!)

Edited by marigold