Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

So, What Ya Giving Up For Lent?


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='Chrysophylax' timestamp='1329435312' post='2388169']
Yeah, our whole family does. It's one of the weird things we learned from Dad and his whole family!
[/quote]

Not I.

Joan Marie Wandel
Posted

[i]i thought about fasting during Lent[/i]

Posted

Diet Coke. I'm addicted to the stuff. I was given a nice flask for Christmas and it's time to use it - I'll be guzzling water all day instead. This will be quite a stiff penance, as I drink anywhere up to six cans a day...my caffeine...

I will be getting up an hour earlier to pray each day and attending Mass in the evenings. On Fridays I will be hauling myself out of bed in time for early morning Mass (turbo-charged penance!).

I also want to use my online time more constructively. I will not be getting into any debates; I think they're bad for my humility. This Lent I'm praying to become a more gentle and loving person and I will try to use my time to this end, especially my computer time.

Posted

I want to give up video games. I need to focus my energy on life :lol:

Posted

so I think I am going to give up booze, red meat, candy, and facebook :)

Archaeology cat
Posted

Right, definitely giving up Facebook. Going to see about going to Adoration weekly with the kids. Want to read the writings of St Ignatius of Antioch (my patron for the year). Maybe I can also get up earlier and exercise and pray. We'll see.

Posted

i'm also trying not to do too much and keep it fairly simple - that way when week 2 of Lent rolls around, I'm not ridiculously stressed out and cranky because I decided to do too much. :like:

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329441082' post='2388213']
i'm also trying not to do too much and keep it fairly simple - that way when week 2 of Lent rolls around, I'm not ridiculously stressed out and cranky because I decided to do too much. :like:
[/quote]
My mom was warning me to go easy on myself this year, as I am something of a perfectionist, and she doesn't want me getting overwhelmed, since I am also a new mom.

Archaeology cat
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329441082' post='2388213']
i'm also trying not to do too much and keep it fairly simple - that way when week 2 of Lent rolls around, I'm not ridiculously stressed out and cranky because I decided to do too much. :like:
[/quote]Oh yeah. I've been wanting to read St Ignatius' writings anyway, so I figure Lent is a good time. Same with Adoration. Exercise, well, been meaning to get back into that, Lent or not. The most important thing for me is to focus more on God. Here's hoping I can do that, by His grace.

Posted

I'm giving up artificial sweetener. I know that sounds silly, but I managed to give up sugar in tea and coffee about six months ago but I substituted artificial sweetener. For Lent I am giving up even that. Every time I have a cup of tea or coffee then, my first reaction will be 'yucch, why bother' and then I will remember why I am doing this. It is a silly, small thing really but I know it will really mean something to me.

Posted

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1329441408' post='2388220']
I'm giving up artificial sweetener. I know that sounds silly, but I managed to give up sugar in tea and coffee about six months ago but I substituted artificial sweetener. For Lent I am giving up even that. Every time I have a cup of tea or coffee then, my first reaction will be 'yucch, why bother' and then I will remember why I am doing this. It is a silly, small thing really but I know it will really mean something to me.
[/quote]
oh man! no way could I give up my sugar in my coffee...and also as an act of charity to those around me, I do not give up coffee for Lent anymore. ;) :hehe:

Posted

Oh, I'll be finding some good things to give up for lent, for sure.

But for starters I'll also be needing to schedule a weekly adoration time, something I have been putting off for a very very long time.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329441507' post='2388221']
oh man! no way could I give up my sugar in my coffee...and also as an act of charity to those around me, I do not give up coffee for Lent anymore. ;) :hehe:
[/quote]

Oh well, that's why I am not giving up diet coke - must have that caffeine hit :) I gave up DC for Lent one year and it was the longest 40 days of my life! No way now. I think it will be a sufficient penance to give up anything sweet in tea or coffee.

And I don't keep the Lenten promise on Solemnities or Sundays - I'm human after all, and since they don't do it in convents, who am I to go against tradition? :P

Posted

When does Lent begin?

I would like to give up something, not sure what, however. I'll think of something :)

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1329443261' post='2388243']
When does Lent begin?

I would like to give up something, not sure what, however. I'll think of something :)
[/quote]
Next Wenesday. :)

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329441082' post='2388213'] i'm also trying not to do too much and keep it fairly simple - that way when week 2 of Lent rolls around, I'm not ridiculously stressed out and cranky because I decided to do too much. :like: [/quote]

Yeah, I think it's easier to focus on one or two things and then add on a daily basis as you feel compelled. Being a cranky Beeeep doesn't really help with my spirituality. lol

MissScripture
Posted

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1329443423' post='2388248']
Yikes!
[/quote]
Yeah, I just realized it last night. It snuck up fast!

Posted

I'm giving up not reading books like the Imitation of Christ and the [url="http://www.dwightlongenecker.com/Content/Pages/Books/TheGargoyleCode.asp"]Gargoyle Code[/url] by Fr. Longenecker

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329432065' post='2388133']
Bacon. You could give up bacon.
[/quote]

welp.. looks like I need a straight jacket too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...