Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

So, What Ya Giving Up For Lent?


Recommended Posts

Groo the Wanderer
Posted

giving up LOTRO and replacing it with Lauds daily

Posted

I'm giving up facebook and saying a daily rosary.

Posted

I'm thinking about giving up my Winster subscription. I'm constantly on that website playing games to earn money but I'm spending money on a subscription so it doesn't really make sense. I cut back on the amount of times I play but I still log in to collect my daily 300 spins.

I used to give up chocolate and Coke when I was a kid, but I got so grouchy and irritable that I don't do that anymore. My mom would probably prefer that I give up all forms of caffeine, but I cannot go without caffeine at least once a day. My Coke habit has gotten MUCH better. I used to drink 6 to 7 large cups per day. Now it's down to 2 cans most days. I don't keep it in the house, either. I go out and get it each day so that it's not sitting there, tempting me.

I might start walking again. I haven't done it since my dog hurt herself before Thanksgiving, so that would be a good thing to add. :)

LinaSt.Cecilia2772
Posted

So something to know about me. I love to sleep. I am definitely not a morning person.

So i decided to give up my snooze button on my alarm clock. This will be VERY hard.

I'm also going to do a prayer thing that i heard of from a friend. She posted a note on facebook asking people if she could pray for them every day of the 40 days of Lent. She found 40 different people and prayed for one of them each day. I also want to get up early with my no snooze button rule and go to early morning mass before school a couple times a week.

Posted

I tried convincing my s.d. that I should give up watching TV. He said no.

Why? BECAUSE I DON'T REALLY WATCH IT ANYWAY. Not much of a sacrifice, he said.

So my penance is actually a behavior modification.

I made the mistake (joking -- it wasn't a mistake) of talking about my ability to be on the internet easily for hours. And how I think it is disordered and I shouldn't be doing that.

His advice -- for Lent, I need to get a big clock, and put it in front of the computer. When I get on, I pay attention to it. And every so often look at it, to become more aware of the time I'm spending on the computer. When my conscience starts bothering me ... then I'm to get off of the computer, and start doing some sort of prayer. Either spiritual reading, a conversation with God, read part of the LOTH, etc. Any prayer will do.

The one exception -- if I'm looking something up, or reading something spiritual. I don't think PhatMass or Facebook will qualify exactly. Unless I'm looking at Q&A or the apologetics or the vocations directory.

I don't know ... but I have a feeling this penance will not be easy. I think cold turkey is easier ... besides this is really a long term change.

I'm getting my internet time in while the going is good .... starting next Wednesday it starts!

Posted

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329432328' post='2388138']
Thanks to being forced to dwell on it thanks to Confession...McDonalds sweet tea. Ever since after I failed Quals the first time, I've drank it every day. I have all 9am courses...this is going to kill me, but it's at least a good sacrifice for me.
[/quote]

Guess what I am drinking RIGHT NOW. Yumm. Love it. And nope, not giving that up!

Posted

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1329454529' post='2388342']I'm also going to do a prayer thing that i heard of from a friend. She posted a note on facebook asking people if she could pray for them every day of the 40 days of Lent. She found 40 different people and prayed for one of them each day.[/quote]

that is a great idea, and i'm so doing it. :) thanks!

LinaSt.Cecilia2772
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1329454843' post='2388347']

that is a great idea, and i'm so doing it. :) thanks!
[/quote]

No problem at all!! :)

Posted

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1329454711' post='2388345']
Guess what I am drinking RIGHT NOW. Yumm. Love it. And nope, not giving that up!
[/quote]

Is it the same thing I'm drinking right now in a pre-Lent binge? :)

Posted

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1329455559' post='2388350']
Is it the same thing I'm drinking right now in a pre-Lent binge? :)
[/quote]

Well I'm binging on my fb games before they start affecting my conscience.

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329426874' post='2388098']
No worries. I'm about as bassakwards as they get. However, my feeble attempt might inspire someone else and I think that's ok.
[/quote]

Lol you took that seriously. rotfl

Posted

[quote name='mysisterisalittlesister' timestamp='1329429896' post='2388117']
Yes, I think I'll get up early too.
[/quote]

You could get up at 5:30 like me and the Little Sisters.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329483429' post='2388400']
Lol you took that seriously. rotfl
[/quote]

Not really, I just figured it was worth saying in case some bonehead thought I was serously bragging. lol

Posted

I might give up drinking alcohol for Lent. :beer:

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1329493996' post='2388463']
Not really, I just figured it was worth saying in case some bonehead thought I was serously bragging. lol
[/quote]

Me bonehead...? :dunce:

Nope, I wouldn't think anyone on here was bragging 'bout giving stuff up for Lent.

inunionwithrome
Posted

The giving up hot showers idea sounds good. I believe that would truly be a sacrifice. I may even give up "caffine" GASP!!! That would truly be a sacrifice as much as I love my coffee and tea. Although I would have to have my herbal tea because the one tea serves a medicinal purpose for me. So, all caffine but that I think would suffice. :)

Posted

Soda and snacking

Posted

[quote name='elizabeth09' timestamp='1329497351' post='2388493']
Soda and snacking
[/quote]

I think I'll give up snacking. It'll be a hard one because most of the food I eat in a day is in-between my meals.

I don't drink much soda...

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='i<3LSOP' timestamp='1329494837' post='2388471']
Me bonehead...? :dunce:

Nope, I wouldn't think anyone on here was bragging 'bout giving stuff up for Lent.
[/quote]

lol No, not you.

Posted

I really, really, really, [i]really [/i]want to give up Facebook for Lent. In fact, I've been wanting to delete my Facebook altogether because I spend so much time on it. The problem is that I am the leader of our Chi Rho Club (apologetics and Catholic culture) college group... So I need it to be able to stay in touch with everyone and keep them informed on upcoming meetings. :(

But, I am thinking of doing an old-style Lenten fast with my friend, who recently moved to Germany. A typical day in Lent would be one meal after sundown, and only small snacks during the day. I think it means no meat at all, too, and no animal products on Fridays (eggs, milk, etc). It will definitely be a huge struggle, but hopefully the suffering will draw us closer to Christ.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...