An Old School Catholic Message Board

Introduction And Question

AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife

Dear fellow vocation-discerners!

I don't know if this is the proper etiquette on this forum, but I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Andrea, but my user-name is "AuthorOfMyLife" because of the conflict I have between my personal love for writing (and, others have said, true ability) and my uncertainty of how God wishes this ability to fit into my possible vocation. I trust that He knows best. But I worry!

I am twenty-four years old, and I live in the South, in a small town, where there are no religious to be seen at all (except the parish priests in the area). I have been discerning for about a year now (my first idea that I could have a vocation was like this :cupid: very sudden!).

At the moment, I am held back from true discerning (in the sense of being able to contact various orders and visit them) because of health problems--chiefly asthma triggered by exposure to chemicals such as fabric softener and air fresheners. I cannot travel at this time, and I am working on solving these health issues, with I hope and pray will not keep me from being a sister someday.

Again, I am so grateful for this forum, and I'm overjoyed to see so many young women (and men) who are discerning as I am. It is wonderful to see people succeeding in their searches, but it is also consoling to see that other people have challenges, too.

Thank you in advance for all the kindness and advice I feel sure I will receive through this forum!

I would like to start by asking a question:

I notice that some posters describe their spirituality as "Dominican" or "Ignatian" or the like. How can you tell what your spirituality is?

Thank you!

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1330908761' post='2396268']

I don't know if this is the proper etiquette on this forum, but I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Andrea, but my user-name is "AuthorOfMyLife" because of the conflict I have between my personal love for writing (and, others have said, true ability) and my uncertainty of how God wishes this ability to fit into my possible vocation. I trust that He knows best. But I worry!

I am twenty-four years old, and I live in the South, in a small town, where there are no religious to be seen at all (except the parish priests in the area). I have been discerning for about a year now (my first idea that I could have a vocation was like this :cupid: very sudden!).

At the moment, I am held back from true discerning (in the sense of being able to contact various orders and visit them) because of health problems--chiefly asthma triggered by exposure to chemicals such as fabric softener and air fresheners. I cannot travel at this time, and I am working on solving these health issues, with I hope and pray will not keep me from being a sister someday.

Again, I am so grateful for this forum, and I'm overjoyed to see so many young women (and men) who are discerning as I am. It is wonderful to see people succeeding in their searches, but it is also consoling to see that other people have challenges, too.

Thank you in advance for all the kindness and advice I feel sure I will receive through this forum!

I notice that some posters describe their spirituality as "Dominican" or "Ignatian" or the like. How can you tell what your spirituality is?

Thank you!
[/quote]

That is the proper etiquette. Welcome to the Pham!

This is a wonderful place to get advice, not just on spiritual things either (seriously, you can ask people on here about cars and stuff too).

I suppose you can tell your spirituality by seeing which one really resonates with you.

PS Don't necessarily trust the Greek Catholic who could be way out of his element here :)

Thank you!
[/quote]

Hi and :welcome: !

When it comes to spirituality, I would say research different orders and learn a little about their spirituality. Often you just know - I read the Rule of St Benedict and just felt an instant connection. I can't explain it, it's one of those things you do just know. [url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/differences_religious_orders.html"]This[/url] is a really good site on the differences between religious orders.

HopefulBride

Welcome!

Honestly when I began discerning I wasn't so much focused on my spirituality but rather which charism the Lord was calling me to. However, as I started looking at different communities and looking looking at their spiritualities, I came to understand in addition to the charism what was attracting me.

For example, I felt a strong attraction to the NDs, DSMMEs, SVs, and the Justice OPs. It really wasn't until I found the community I'm to enter that I realized that it was the rule and the way they lived the rule that I was partial to (and believe me each community lives the rule differently but of course there are underlying similarities) If I kept focusing on other things I might have thought I was called t the Dominican way of life but what attracted me about the Dominican way of life was the Rule of St. Augustine (and I do love St. Augustine as well as his mother...)

Ok I just rambled, anyways :welcome:

MargaretTeresa

Hello!!!
First, can I say YAY!!! A FELLOW SOUTHERNER! I, too, live in a small(ish) southern town with only a priest as an example of religious life. :hehe: I have to drive to New Orleans or St Louis or maybe see a couple in Memphrika on occasion, but those are mostly pantaloons suit nuns...
Anyway! I am really drawn to Vincentian and Bosco-esque and Franciscan spirituality. But that's just me. :P I've been discerning religious life officially for 1 year, 2 months, a week and a day. Yep. Lol. Although I had been thinking of it before (or at least missionary work).
God bless you!

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you, Byzantine! I find it very interesting that there are many different types of Catholicism and many nationalities represented on this forum.

Thank you, EmilyAnn--I have seen the website you linked and it is terrific. I'll read over it again. I do think the Benedictines are amazing (love the work ethic).

Oh, that has been my approach, HopefulBride--look at the charism first (and the habits and the type of Mass) and then everything else. I understand what you are saying about the real life and the rule, too. I never considered investigating particular rules!

(On a side note, how wonderful that you are entering a community! I'll be praying for you.)

Hi, Fellow Southerner! :hehe2: Ooo...I didn't mention the "suit nuns"...although I have only met that kind of nun basically (and ex-nuns). I have a relative (elderly) who is a nun, but she lives too far away for me to really know her.

Oh, I dearly love St. John Bosco! I don't know as much about his particular spirituality as I should, but he has always been my "writing" patron. His "dreams" always seemed like Divinely written stories to me (conveying truth through a story medium), and I have always wanted to be a missionary (of sorts) by giving truth-themed books to our confused world. Consequently, I am attracted to kinds of preaching/teaching a sister is allowed to do (although, unfortunately, I'm not that drawn to teaching in classrooms).

I can see that one good thing to do would be to study particular saints (St. Dominic, etc.).

Actually, I have been discerning for about 1 year, 3 months, and 4 days--if I take it from first "panic" moment to where I am now. I'm so glad to see I'm in good company keeping track like this.

Again, thank you all!

[/quote]

We don't know the meaning of "Etiquette" around here.

So, compared to others, -- myself included-- that was a totally amesome post.

Edited by BigJon16

MargaretTeresa

The only reason I know when I actually started officially discerning is because it was Christmas Day 2010... Yep. I was sitting at Gma's Christmas dinner using my iPhone to take a Vision Vocation Network quiz and getting weird looks for being on my phone so much. Oh well.

TheresaThoma

First off welcome!
As far as spiritualities for me it is kind of trial and error. I would read about and explore different spiritualities and just see if something resonated with me.

Welcome to the "phamily "..............I'm sure that you will enjoy the fellowship and I sincerely hope that your health will improve.

:welcome: Wonderful post. You will love this place and learn so much. I certainly have and the support of so many Catholics is truely amesome.

Here's a briefing of the phorum:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/17-vocation-station/"]Vocation Station[/url] is amazing full of discerning people and holiness, [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/12-transmundane-lane/"]Transmundane Lane[/url] [color=#575757]is full of serious and non debating discussions, [/color][url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/8-prayer-room-pray-in-silence/"]Prayer Room (pray in silence)[/url] is a lovely place where you can post prayer intentions and you are unable to answer on there so don't worry you weren't banned, [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/2-open-mic-be-dont-lame/"]Open Mic (be don't lame)[/url] is full of a bunch of holy, serious, sarcastic, and nice peeps, [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/3-debate-table/"]Debate Table[/url] if you are good at debating it's great but once you post something on there... you're sucked right in! [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/forum/54-the-special-boards/"]The "Special" Boards[/url] [color=#575757]are full of people who are over-run with tiredness and at first it seems scary but when you step in you're at home... ;)[/color]

[color=#575757]I'm joking... (for the most part) Welcome to the phorums! It's so nice to have another discerner and thank you for introducing yourself! :wave:[/color]

[b][color=#575757]Edited because one of the links wasn't working.[/color][/b]

Edited by i<3LSOP

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you all! It is very humbling and lovely to be feel so welcome.

@ MargaretTeresa:
Christmas Day is a wonderful day to begin discerning. I remember the day for me because it was St. Cecilia's Feast-Day.

Thank you for the health prayers, Jennirom!

Oh, thank you for the phorum briefing, i<3LSOP. I will definitely be looking into the Prayer Room. The other rooms sound...interesting!

By the way, what beautiful Signatures quotes many of you have--just like small (but rich) gifts of spiritual direction!

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1330989235' post='2396663']
Oh, thank you for the phorum briefing, i<3LSOP. I will definitely be looking into the Prayer Room. The other rooms sound...interesting!
[/quote]

Hahaha. You'll get used to my foolishness. (Well I'm 12 so if I come across as immature...)

Prayers for you in your discernment. :)