An Old School Catholic Message Board

Introduction And Question

AuthorOfMyLife

As a writer, you probably need to investigate the Daughters of St. Paul (FSP). Their charism is use of the media to spread the gospel, and they do that a number of ways. Most people know them from their stores, but they also write (and edit, I presume) and publish their own titles.

It may not be the kind of writing you're interested in, but I had to give them a shout out anyway.

Hello, AuthorOfMyLife! Welcome to the phorum!

Just to say, I second Luigi's recommendation. I, too, love to write. I looked into the Daughters of Saint Paul (FSPs) and made many friends with Sisters who are authors, editors, artists, illustrators, etc. It is a wonderful Order!

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1330992781' post='2396683']
Hello, AuthorOfMyLife! Welcome to the phorum!

Just to say, I second Luigi's recommendation. I, too, love to write. I looked into the Daughters of Saint Paul (FSPs) and made many friends with Sisters who are authors, editors, artists, illustrators, etc. It is a wonderful Order!
[/quote]

I've heard about them and when AuthorOfMyLife posted about writing, editing etc. I thought of them... but couldn't remember the name. Thanks Luigi! :)

AuthorOfMyLife

Yes, I have looked in the Daughters of St. Paul. I definitely respect them and their work. I'm afraid that my enthusiasm for them is rather dimmed by the modern-ness or secular-ness (to me) of their habits. Also, I don't think they are very interested in the Latin/Roman Mass (I could be wrong).

This is where one of my problems comes in, though! I am drawn to more traditional orders that are interested in Traditional Latin Mass, but many of these orders don't have a place for writing in their charism! I feel like I'll have to be forced to give up writing, but it doesn't make sense to me that God would want me to give up something I am good at and that I want to use to help other people. So I am trusting that He will send me to the order where my writing can be used at least a little--even for just writing poems or hymn lyrics or something similar. I had thought that perhaps in some teaching / retreat-running orders there might be a place for this kind of work--but I am still investigating what is out there.

Edit to add what I forgot, namely: sometimes a particular order will have a place for this kind of work when you don't expect it, so I am really taking each order at a time. An example of this would be the Poor Clares of Roswell, NM. Writing is not in their charism, but their much loved Mother Mary Francis seems to have, throughout her life, written quite a number of books--some devotional and at least one simply about their convent life (it is: "A Right To Be Merry" and it is wonderful!).

I should add, perhaps, that God has also allowed me to be an artist. My art is also centered on religion--I especially love designing and painting Easter and Christmas cards--so this is another skill that might be used by an order. My seminarian brother says that the right place will take everything I am and bring it to its brightest, and I am trying to remember that! But as I noted in my first post, I still worry about the future.

Again, thank you all so much!

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Yay another discerner!!! Wooooo hoooooo this is great!! :w00t: :yahoo:

First off welcome to the Pham. And I must inform you even more, the phorum is a crazy, amesome, intense, funny, spiritual, and great place to come to discern.

I'm praying for ya sister!

somethingfishy

I find writing important for me as well. I have kept journals since I was in primary school and it's a vital part of my spiritual life and of my prayer. When I was first discerning I spent a lot of time looking for congregations that would value/support this, but I sort of missed the point. I found congregations that looked perfect for me on paper, and are clearly good for a lot of women, but just weren't right once I made contact or visited. I was focusing a lot on my own skills/attributes, and matching those up with congregations. Which isn't a bad starting point when you're feeling overwhelmed with all the possible congregations out there, but it's not really sufficient. I hope you will soon be able to contact and visit different congregations -- it's so helpful to have those concrete examples of women living religious life. No one would try and date someone without ever seeing them or giving them a phone call, but lots of people approach discernment that way (and then wonder why they're having difficulty).

Writing and artistic skills are ones that most contemplative orders and many active orders would be happy to embrace, so on the whole I really wouldn't worry too much about that. It sounds like the practical aspects are the ones to focus on for you right now -- it sounds like you have an attraction and willingness toward religious life, but the biggest question would be fitness for the life (whether you are physically able to live in that way). Some of that would be determined by you and some by the congregation, as different ones have different standards for what they consider physical/mental fitness. Perhaps St Gemma Galgani would be a good friend for you right now, as she struggled mightily with poor health.

I'm not discerning with the Passionists, but here's a quote from a [url="http://www.passionistnuns.org/blog/2009/07/17/a-simple-kind-of-life/"]post[/url] on their website I found helpful: "The most important work done in the monastery is the work of our hearts in remaining prayerfully attentive to the presence of the Lord, no matter what we do." Good advice for discernment as well.

Edited to add: Welcome to Phatmass! :)

Edited by somethingfishy

TheresaThoma

I for the longest time struggled with how my skills could be used with in a community. My major is Aerospace Physics which I love. I couldn't understand why I could love Physics so much but also feel called to religious life. To me they seemed incompatible. I slowly learned just to trust that God would bring me to a community where those talents could be used even if it was in ways that I didn't expect. This brought me a lot of peace and has helped me to move forward in my discernment.

[quote name='AuthorOfMyLife' timestamp='1331004624' post='2396724']
Yes, I have looked in the Daughters of St. Paul. I definitely respect them and their work. I'm afraid that my enthusiasm for them is rather dimmed by the modern-ness or secular-ness (to me) of their habits. Also, I don't think they are very interested in the Latin/Roman Mass (I could be wrong).
[/quote]

I would still give them some consideration -- they are a wonderful group of religious. You could always do a week-long visit (they have a Holy Week vocational retreat every year). That would give you a really good feel for who they are.

Welcome to the Pham!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1331050475' post='2396884']
I for the longest time struggled with how my skills could be used with in a community. My major is Aerospace Physics which I love. I couldn't understand why I could love Physics so much but also feel called to religious life. To me they seemed incompatible. I slowly learned just to trust that God would bring me to a community where those talents could be used even if it was in ways that I didn't expect. This brought me a lot of peace and has helped me to move forward in my discernment.
[/quote]

Aerospace physics, huh? Flying nuns, anyone? [just kidding]

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1331057276' post='2396919']
Aerospace physics, huh? Flying nuns, anyone? [just kidding]
[/quote]
You have no idea how many time I get that joke...

MessorCarus

Welcome!

I've struggled many times wondering how God could use my gifts within different communities. There have been times I was sure I was called to teach (my degree is in English), but as I've grown in my discernment I've realized that I must be willing to let go of all my desires to use whatever gifts God has given me, in the way I would like. God alone knows all these gifts and how He wants to use them. I could teach someday or I may never use my degree. I must be willing to place it all in His hands. It's one of the most beautiful parts of discernment, trusting the God that knows what He has truly created us for.

You'll find plenty of support around here and many prayerful people ready to walk with you in your discernment. You'll find many surprises along the way as well! We are a phamily around here, we laugh and cry together and tease each other like crazy. Prepare to have tons of fun.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1331076408' post='2397018']
You have no idea how many time I get that joke...
[/quote]

Sorry! You must be sick of it by now...

But seriously, in this hi-tech age, I wonder if it might be possible to do what some kibbutzim have done in Israel. A kibbutz is a communal settlement, often agricultural, sometimes industrial. More and more, members who have professions or skills which can be used, via computer, to work "at home" for Israeli or even international industries, are encouraged to do so as it brings an income to the kibbutz by way of their salary. It is a waste for such a person to work in the fields or factory. Many kibbutzim are sufficiently rural that it doesn't make sense for a member to commute to work. Since a monastery or convent has to have some income, after all, might you find a way to be employed "virtually" while remaining inside? Just a thought.

AuthorOfMyLife, from reading your posts it does seem as though you are a bit too centred on your own requirements. Joining a religious community is not like accepting a new job, so it's not about looking at your skills and then deciding where to go. Once you enter the monastery or convent, you could be given the task of laundry or gardening or teaching for years, with no time to write (except perhaps in a personal journal). The religious life doesn't deny people's talents, but it also fosters humility, and working under obedience in jobs that they might not ordinarily choose is one way of doing this. It is also essential to the community's spirit (and a good way of discovering gifts that you didn't know you had!).

When you enter religious life, you have to be prepared to sacrifice everything. Remember Jesus and the rich young man. Maybe you will write in the religious life, maybe you won't, but you can't enter with the expectation that you will have a career as a writer.

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1331104521' post='2397142']
Sorry! You must be sick of it by now...

But seriously, in this hi-tech age, I wonder if it might be possible to do what some kibbutzim have done in Israel. A kibbutz is a communal settlement, often agricultural, sometimes industrial. More and more, members who have professions or skills which can be used, via computer, to work "at home" for Israeli or even international industries, are encouraged to do so as it brings an income to the kibbutz by way of their salary. It is a waste for such a person to work in the fields or factory. Many kibbutzim are sufficiently rural that it doesn't make sense for a member to commute to work. Since a monastery or convent has to have some income, after all, might you find a way to be employed "virtually" while remaining inside? Just a thought.
[/quote]
I honestly don't know. But I am just trusting that God will take care of that. An analogy I can think of is a toolbox. My vocation itself is the actual box and all my skills are the different tools inside. Some of them are very general and "basic", things that help me get through the day to day of life. Where others are highly specialized so I don't need them that often. Yet my toolbox/vocation is able to contain them all. I just have to find the right "toolbox" and everything will fit in it just right!