An Old School Catholic Message Board

Introduction And Question

AuthorOfMyLife

AuthorOfMyLife

Thank you, all of you who have shared your experiences of discerning a vocation while trying to figure out what to do about a particular craft/skill that you love.

And of course, you are all right!

I shouldn't focus so much on finding a "writing" friendly community. In the right community (which may be the one which will surprise me) ALL that I am and can do will be made use of.

(@somethingfishy, thank you for the St. Gemma Galgani suggestion--I do remember that she suffered many health problems, as have many of the saints. Also, thank you for the Passionists quote! I do think their spirit seems beautiful, so I will remember them.).

I would like to mention, in regard to beatitude's post, that I am not trying to make religious life a career. I don't care about a career as a writer. I would be happy to write a poem or short story and have as the author simply, "A Dominican/Benedition/etc. sister." I have many flaws, but I don't think looking at religious life as merely an occupation is one of them (thank God). In fact, one of the reasons why I am attracted to religious life is the obedience. I want to be more sure that how I am using my skills is how God wants me to use them. Yes, I'm writing truth-full stories and yes, I'm creating good-quality Easter/Christmas cards now--but could I be doing more? Could I be doing something entirely different that would be better for my souls and the souls of others? I have a hope that in religious life, where everything I do (even gardening or washing dishes, as you point out) will be done, by virtue of my intentions and vows, for Christ, I will really be doing all I can do--and being all I can be.

(Also, when I say my work is "good," I don't mean to sound arrogant, I'm just trying to state what seems to be an objective truth about my work, though only because God has given the grace for the work to be good.)

But I know that my attitude needs work!

I would like to be able to say: "I can write, sew, paint, draw, cook, teach, sing, and play the piano, but I am NOT merely what I can do. Will you (insert community) accept me for who I am? Will you help me to offer myself to Christ?"

I guess I can't say that yet. I still need to let go of what I can do. I apologize for the soul-searching, but I suppose that I have, through much of my life, defined myself by what I can do (especially the things, like writing, that I can do well). That's why I'm a perfectionist--if the work has flaws, so, I fear, do I (and who doesn't? :paperbag: ). But I will have to let go of that fixation and that fear.

At any rate, the main thing for me to focus on right now is becoming healthy enough to actually contact any orders. I will indeed be making this the priority.

Thank you for the prayers! I'm praying for you all! Again, I apologize for being a :spike:

Edited to add: TheresaThoma--I love your analogy! That seems very true to me.

Edited by AuthorOfMyLife

Keep in ming, too, that writing is a skill that will be valued in [i]any[/i] community. Benedictines, Cistercians, Trappistines, Carmelites, and all sorts of cloistered orders publish various kinds of writings. Many active communities do, too.

You might do some creative writing, but you'd also have the skills to proofread, edit, prepare manuscripts by other writers, and so forth. You might be the secretary for all the order's meetings & minutes. You might write the monthly/quarterly newsletter. You might be Sister Mary Blogger (see [url="http://www.monialesop.org"]www.monialesop.org[/url], for just one example).

If you can write, you can write anything anywhere.