An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Dicernment Ups And Downs

Annie12

I have noticed that my discernment has ups and downs. For example, I will passionately want to be a nun "NOW!!!" one day but won't feel called for a few seconds another. I don't know whether this is because I need to pray more regularly or it's just normal. What do others think when it comes to your own discernment? I really don't have any hobbies and I just like to be with my family and read stuff about Catholicism. I do need to pray more regularly though. I have a hard time with motivating myself. I will really want to pray but the motivation will not be there. It's weird because I went through this time when it was spiritually painful to go to school where I would have to be distracted from prayer. I couldn't possibly not pray just last year. Am I being lazy or is this a trial God has sent me? If it's a trial how to I get through it? Should I schedule time to pray? I fell like I am so busy. I don't like this and what to overcome it. Thanks for your replys in advance!

Divine Mercy 9999

I've noticed that I have the ups and downs, too. For me, it just seems to be more a part of life. Some days are good ones and some are a bit more trying. When I have a time that is kind of trying, it is easier to lose focus on discerning.

I glad to know it's not just me! Does anyone else think a schedule could help with my prayers like the rosary for instance?

I think a schedule could help. I'm trying to make a schedule for myself, just to help me get into the habit of routine prayer.

I hate it when I get crushes on Guys! I know it's okay but I feel like it distracts me from my discernment. It's not a huge problem but it does happen. It's also kind of weird when my non catholic friend starts talking about guys because I just try to stay of the topic because I am head over heals in love with Christ ... I just get distracted sometimes! Discernment is so confusing though! I second guess myself a lot!

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1332544070' post='2406638']
I have noticed that my discernment has ups and downs. For example, I will passionately want to be a nun "NOW!!!" one day but won't feel called for a few seconds another. I don't know whether this is because I need to pray more regularly or it's just normal. What do others think when it comes to your own discernment? I really don't have any hobbies and I just like to be with my family and read stuff about Catholicism. I do need to pray more regularly though. I have a hard time with motivating myself. I will really want to pray but the motivation will not be there. It's weird because I went through this time when it was spiritually painful to go to school where I would have to be distracted from prayer. I couldn't possibly not pray just last year. Am I being lazy or is this a trial God has sent me? If it's a trial how to I get through it? Should I schedule time to pray? I fell like I am so busy. I don't like this and what to overcome it. Thanks for your replys in advance!
[/quote]

Passionately wanting to be a nun, and wanting to do other things, comes and goes. Not 'feeling it' for a short while, or even a long while, isn't a sign that you're not called. In fact (providing you're not in a situation where you're blindly ignoring all the glaring evidence that this life is totally wrong for you) sticking with your decision even when you don't feel it can be a very strong sign that you [i]are[/i] cut out to be a nun. Every single nun I know experiences this.

(But also, yay nuns! :dance2: )

edited to get rid of the patronising bit.

Edited by marigold

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1332547268' post='2406688']
I hate it when I get crushes on Guys! I know it's okay but I feel like it distracts me from my discernment. It's not a huge problem but it does happen. It's also kind of weird when my non catholic friend starts talking about guys because I just try to stay of the topic because I am head over heals in love with Christ ... I just get distracted sometimes! Discernment is so confusing though! I second guess myself a lot!
[/quote]

It's okay to have a crush on someone! You can't help it. Becoming a religious doesn't turn of that part of yourself, it's something you have to accept and learn to develop in a chaste way. I still talk about guys with my friends, the only difference is they talk about current boyfriends and future stuff whereas I have my past. And even though I'm head over heels for Christ too, I can still appreciate the beauty of God's creation in Robert Downey Jr. :hehe2:

But on a more serious note, it is something you have to be careful of. When I was like 17 I fell completely in love with one of my friends. He is truly a wonderful person and exactly the sort of man I would hope to marry if that were my vocation. I haven't seen him in years and we live in different countries now but we're still friends. Until recently I couldn't honestly say that if he appeared on my entrance day and wanted to be with me I wouldn't leave for him. It took me a long time to get to the stage where I can say I would say no to him. While we are human and have normal emotions, we must be more guarded so that we do not get distracted or pulled away.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332548405' post='2406696']
[color=#ff0000][b]I can still appreciate the beauty of God's creation in Robert Downey Jr. :hehe2:[/b][/color]

[/quote]

I've gotta say, that's really funny! but I think you whole post was really great! Thank you for it!

MonjaFutura

I think that ups and downs actually make you stronger in your resolution to pursue religious life! I'm just coming out of a major down and it only made me realize that I truly desire that spousal relationship with Christ and no other. One of the causes of this "down" was a crush that I've had since 7th grade... crushes are kind of confusing in discernment but I think it gives much glory to God when we say that we will stay strong and prove our special love for Him by not dating any guys unless we really feel called to after searching our hearts!

Strictlyinkblot

Feelings are pretty fickle. It seems to me that what you're describing is a normal part of discernment. I felt torn apart by the idea I might have a vocation for years. In fact my life would make a good case study on how not to discern a vocation. Don't be too hard on yourself.

And, I agree about Robert Downey Jr. and a few others I can think of.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

While my discernment is towards the seminary and priesthood, I also have had my doubts and struggles (as has every Priest and Seminarian I've talked to) What has pulled me out of doubts and down moments has been honest and frank discussions about where you are at and what you are felling. Consider finding a Spiritual Director if you don't already have one. As well I dedicate myself to a prayer cause like a novena for XXX or special intentions for my Liturgy of the Hours... Since Religious life and the Priesthood are about Serving God's church these prayer intentions keep me focused and when I don't "feel" like praying I promised to do so...so I do.

I have had these problems in the past too and have found St. Ignatius of Loyola to be extremely helpful. Try this link. Fr. Timothy Gallagher is an amazing priest. Discerning the Spirits is essential, I think, in discerning the religious life or any vocation for that matter.

[url="http://www.discerninghearts.com/?page_id=1146"]http://www.discerninghearts.com/?page_id=1146[/url]

PhuturePriest

Everybody has these feelings at one point or another. I don't have them all that much now, but I used to quite a bit. I've focused myself more on the Religious life and Priesthood, and I have discovered that the further you go into discernment, the easier it gets to discern. I don't have any attractions to marriage anymore. Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of getting married at all. Not that I'm afraid of commitment, it simply doesn't appeal to me.

As for praying, I completely understand. Everyone faces this. Right now I pray an hour a day minimum, and I read the Bible half an hour a day. Sometimes I just wish I didn't have to pray at all. But I do. No relationship can grow without communication. The more you pray the easier it will be to understand what God wants you to do as well. I've found that I feel more confident in the Priesthood and Religious life now that I pray so much.

If you'll excuse me, I have to do the rest of my prayers for the night before I am accused of being a hypocrite. :P

I always have ups and downs. I call it ping ponging. Sometimes it is worse than others.
Screwtape called it undulations, I think....