An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Dicernment Ups And Downs

Annie12

Carmelshrimp

Ups and downs are normal. No relationships are static and our relationship with God and how we feel about that will vary too. The point isn't so much how we feel as what we do about it. To take a really mundane example, I might really enjoy cooking a lovely receipe and spend hours putting together the perfect dinner, but that doesn't mean I should only cook when I'm being creative and having fun. My family need feeding whether I'm having a great time or not and a pie and mash supper is as much part of my responsibility as haute cuisine. Prayer's the same. It doesn't matter how we feel about it - in fact if we put too much stress on that aspect prayer becomes little more than a self-indulgent pursuit of the feel-good factor - but it does matter that we're faithful to it and keep going even if we feel bored, disinclined, or that we're talking to ourselves. The point is to have faith that we're not alone and that God is there because God is faithful and he has promised. I'd say don't fret about feelings and just do it regardless. Feelings are pretty superficial and the real work of God is done at a much deeper level.

FiatVoluntasTua

@Carmelshrimp:
Amen!

@Annie:
What do you enjoy? Athletics? Art? Music? Poetry? It is great to pour out our love for God in different avenues. What are talents that could be used to praise Him?

Prayer should not be a "chore." Why don't you try praying for smaller increments of time (ie. 10-15 minutes) throughout the day? For example, you could pray 10 minutes in the morning, 10 minutes in the afternoon, and 10 minutes in the evening. When you begin to feel more comfortable with a prayer schedule, you can increase the amount of time (ie. 20+ minutes).

Crushes just are proof that you are a woman. Even as a Sister you don't suddenly loose your vision. Main thing is not to get too preoccupied with it. If you let it fluster you (instead of just shrugging your shoulders and acknowledging you are normal) then the attempt to "directly fight" a romantic feeling or passion actually works against you. Acknowledge the passion, involve your energy in something constructive and just move on.

Distractions remain all through religious life. As you grow in prayer you learn to pay less attention to them... but sometimes prayer is a battle. That's just life. :proud:

Edited by mantellata

PhuturePriest

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1332684913' post='2407873']
Crushes just are proof that you are a woman. Even as a Sister you don't suddenly loose your vision. Main thing is not to get too preoccupied with it. If you let it fluster you (instead of just shrugging your shoulders and acknowledging you are normal) then the attempt to "directly fight" a romantic feeling or passion actually works against you. Acknowledge the passion, involve your energy in something constructive and just move on.

Distractions remain all through religious life. As you grow in prayer you learn to pay less attention to them... but sometimes prayer is a battle. That's just life. :proud:
[/quote]

Precisely. Though I'm slow to admit it, I do indeed find girls attractive. Just last night I was watching Clueless and realized Alicia Silverstone was very attractive, though I would've appreciated it if her clothes were just a little more modest.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332560747' post='2406898']
Everybody has these feelings at one point or another. I don't have them all that much now, but I used to quite a bit. I've focused myself more on the Religious life and Priesthood, and I have discovered that the further you go into discernment, the easier it gets to discern. I don't have any attractions to marriage anymore. Quite frankly, I don't like the idea of getting married at all. Not that I'm afraid of commitment, it simply doesn't appeal to me.

As for praying, I completely understand. Everyone faces this. Right now I pray an hour a day minimum, and I read the Bible half an hour a day. Sometimes I just wish I didn't have to pray at all. But I do. No relationship can grow without communication. The more you pray the easier it will be to understand what God wants you to do as well. I've found that I feel more confident in the Priesthood and Religious life now that I pray so much.

If you'll excuse me, I have to do the rest of my prayers for the night before I am accused of being a hypocrite. :P
[/quote]
I just have to say, after reading this post, it was the only one that stuck in my mind for some reason and this morning I said my rosary AND read my bible!!!! I just want to thank you so much for posting this! It really made a difference! thanks! :winner: the funny thing is your post gave me the motivation I needed!!! I'm so happy now!! :banana: :paco: :dancer2: :dancer1: :w00t: :bravo: :yahoo: :muffin: :dance: :like3: :nun2: :dance5: (sorry, I went overboard with the smileys. I just can't contain my joy!!)

Edited by Annie12

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1332693934' post='2408004']
I just have to say, after reading this post, it was the only one that stuck in my mind for some reason and this morning I said my rosary AND read my bible!!!! I just want to thank you so much for posting this! It really made a difference! thanks! :winner: the funny thing is your post gave me the motivation I needed!!! I'm so happy now!! :banana: :paco: :dancer2: :dancer1: :w00t: :bravo: :yahoo: :muffin: :dance: :like3: :nun2: :dance5: (sorry, I went overboard with the smileys. I just can't contain my joy!!)
[/quote]

You are most welcome. Feel free to message me privately if you ever need help with anything. I am the psychiatrist that all of my friends flock to, so I won't mind. I enjoy helping people anyway.

In the meantime, you've made me feel guilty, so I'll be sure to pray the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy today. :P

One important thing to remember about prayer is that there are many kinds and you dont have to be quiet and alone to pray. I pray some set prayers as I get ready in the morning, like an Our Father and some Hail Marys while I wait for my brain to kick in more. Then I pray more casually such as thank you God for this coffee, please be with me on my way to work and be with my family and friends as well, or something like that. If it is the feast of a partiular saint like St Joseph or Bl Miguel Pro for example Ill ask them to be with me in particular that day. While Im at work I really only have time for litle aspriations of prayer like the more formal "Jesus, Mary I love you save souls" or the less formal "dear God I [u]really[/u] want to strangle this person who is getting on my nerves!" At night is vocal prayer with ds such as the Rosary or chaplet of divine mercy or whatever novena happens to be on the calendar. Even that doesnt always happen though but because I have a friend for accountability in prayer, I just blame her when it doesnt!!! :P

As for ups and downs, they are part of life, part of any vocation.

And for guys thinking of the priesthood Id hope marriage would have some appeal to you since youll be married to the Church as your bride and love her as such, as well as having to counsel couples wisihng to get married and those who are already wed so a great understanding and appreiation of marriage is needed. Start by loving Mary more.

edited for typos

Edited by vee8

PhuturePriest

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1332695007' post='2408021']
One important thing to remember about prayer is that there are many kinds and you dont have to be quiet and alone to pray. I pray some set prayers as I get ready in the morning, like an Our Father and some Hail Marys while I wait for my brain to kick in more. Then I pray more casually such as thank you God for this coffee, please be with me on my way to work and be with my family and friends as well, or something like that. If it is the feast of a partiular saint like St Joseph or Bl Miguel Pro for example Ill ask them to be with me in particular that day. While Im at work I really only have time for litle aspriations of prayer like the more formal "Jesus, Mary I love you save souls" or the less formal "dear God I [u]really[/u] want to strangle this person who is getting on my nerves!" At night is vocal prayer with ds such as the Rosary or chaplet of divine mercy or whatever novena happens to be on the calendar. Even that doesnt always happen though but because I have a friend for accountability in prayer, I just blame her when it doesnt!!! :P

As for ups and downs, they are part of life, part of any vocation.

And for guys thinking of the priesthood Id hope marriage would have some appeal to you since youll be married to the Church as your bride and love her as such, as well as having to counsel couples wisihng to get married and those who are already wed so a great understanding and appreiation of marriage is needed. Start by loving Mary more.

edited for typos
[/quote]

Well, there's a difference between being married to the Church and being married to a woman. I'm not interested in the married life of a woman. The day-to-day life of it simply doesn't appeal to me. I've observed marriages and I am simply not interested in it. Mother Angelica is just the same way, actually. She wasn't interested in marriage at all. I am interested in being married to the Church. There is a vast difference between the two. Of course I find women attractive and I like the idea of romance, but this is not what marriage is about. I don't think it is possible to have a better life than a Priest leads. It simply appeals to me so much, while marriage appeals to me the way monastic life appeals to me: It's interesting, but I would shoot myself if I did it myself. I'm simply not compatible for the married life, it seems. My wife would probably kill me. Though all of this is quite ironic since according to my mother women flock to me and I have a natural way with them. Perhaps I can use this in order to convert the souls of women?

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1332708418' post='2408158']
good. grief.
[/quote]

I know, right? I mean, it's so exhausting having to read posts that nobody is forcing you to read, and it's so exhausting having to comment on them and convey the message that I'm such a hardheaded moron that doesn't deserve to be within a thousand miles of a Seminary, or any civilization, for that matter.

Lilllabettt

you're right. pointless to groan without being constructive. As a teenager I too was often embarrassing myself without realizing it. Maybe would never have improved the smidge that i have if people had not been constructive with me. So, just for future reference, this:

[quote]Though all of this is quite ironic since according to my mother women flock to me and I have a natural way with them. Perhaps I can use this in order to convert the souls of women?[/quote]
[color=#282828]reads like arrogance. [/color]

[color=#282828]sometimes I wonder if you don't have a little bit of autism. In all seriousness, and no unkindness meant. I have known people with aspergers who had trouble empathizing, taking social cues, etc. Have you ever looked into that at all? Probably not the case, probably just need more growing. But it did strike me all of a sudden, that's all. [/color]

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332709691' post='2408179']
I know, right? I mean, it's so exhausting having to read posts that nobody is forcing you to read, and it's so exhausting having to comment on them and convey the message that I'm such a hardheaded moron that doesn't deserve to be within a thousand miles of a Seminary, or any civilization, for that matter.
[/quote]

That was a lot of implication from just a couple of words, Miles! (BTW is it ok if I call you that? I do like it - well it's nicer than FP all the time. But some people, like me, are funny about their name being online.)

It's just a little weird when you talk about 'Women' in that abstract way, especially since most of your friends on here [i]are[/i] women. We're not a detached Other, like the lovely Alicia Silverstone in her immodest clothes! :)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1332694135' post='2408009']
You are most welcome. Feel free to message me privately if you ever need help with anything. I am the psychiatrist that all of my friends flock to, so I won't mind. I enjoy helping people anyway.

In the meantime, you've made me feel guilty, so I'll be sure to pray the Rosary and Chaplet of Divine Mercy today. :P
[/quote]

You give your friends prescriptions? :P
I think you mean therapist - as a psychology student I can tell you there is a big difference.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1332711172' post='2408220']
you're right. pointless to groan without being constructive. As a teenager I too was often embarrassing myself without realizing it. Maybe would never have improved the smidge that i have if people had not been constructive with me. So, just for future reference, this:

[color=#282828]reads like arrogance. [/color]

[color=#282828]sometimes I wonder if you don't have a little bit of autism. In all seriousness, and no unkindness meant. I have known people with aspergers who had trouble empathizing, taking social cues, etc. Have you ever looked into that at all? Probably not the case, probably just need more growing. But it did strike me all of a sudden, that's all. [/color]
[/quote]

This is simply what my mother told me. I do indeed attract women. Not that I want to, but I do. I'm not being arrogant. I do sometimes struggle with pride since I believe I have natural good looks, but most of this was destroyed when I learned women don't think men are attractive the way men think women are.

Actually, I do very well with picking up cues and such. I do not take any offense, but I certainly do not have any of these issues in which you state. I know it might be hard to believe, but most of the time I'm simply being sarcastic. My last post was brimming with sarcasm. I didn't mean for it to sound as angry as it did, but every time we speak you have something to critique me on and it gets on my nerves a bit. I have no problem with critiquing, but I honestly cannot remember one time when we spoke that you didn't critique me. I'm not angry, I simply want to clarify why I seemed so angry with my last post.

The problem I have is some people such as yourself can't understand what I'm trying to say. I don't have any problem anywhere else but here. But I'll try my best again. Basically, the married life does not appeal to me. I'm not interested in getting married one bit. It used to be the only thing I wanted to do, and if anyone mentioned the Priesthood I would get really angry. However, I realized I may have a vocation and looked into it. Now there's nothing that could possibly appeal to me after learning about the wonders of Priesthood.

Is this clear enough? I really did try. :P

Edited by FuturePriest387

PhuturePriest

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1332711639' post='2408235']
That was a lot of implication from just a couple of words, Miles! (BTW is it ok if I call you that? I do like it - well it's nicer than FP all the time. But some people, like me, are funny about their name being online.)

It's just a little weird when you talk about 'Women' in that abstract way, especially since most of your friends on here [i]are[/i] women. We're not a detached Other, like the lovely Alicia Silverstone in her immodest clothes! :)
[/quote]

As stated, I didn't mean for it to sound that harsh. I am simply a little tired of everyone critiquing me. I do realize all you women are used to changing people to fit in with your personality as shown so plainly in the film Clueless, but sometimes it's okay to tone it down just a bit. :P

And yes, it is most certainly okay to call me Miles. I would prefer Miles over FP any day. I hate abbreviations. Plus, it makes me feel more... I don't know. It simply makes me feel more comfortable, I guess.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1332711970' post='2408243']
You give your friends prescriptions? :P
I think you mean therapist - as a psychology student I can tell you there is a big difference.
[/quote]

Therapist, psychiatrist, potato, potato. They're all overly confident with their knowledge and they think anything can be fixed by delving deeper into one's past. :P

But really, I don't know why, but everyone flocks to me. I guess they like my analogies I come up with or something.