An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1334513730' post='2418217']
thats st paul speaking, not me, and thats one report for a personal attack
[/quote]lulz. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, but if the shoe fits, I didn't force it on your foot, LOL. I recognized biblical quote markers and didn't think it was your words for a nano-second. I think we just differ on the interpretation of the passage about changing attitudes. w'eves...

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334514205' post='2418221']
lulz. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, but if the shoe fits, I didn't force it on your foot, LOL. I recognized biblical quote markers and didn't think it was your words for a nano-second. I think we just differ on the interpretation of the passage about changing attitudes. w'eves...
[/quote]
Which brings up high heels. Good Christian women don't go over 2 1/2" inch ones, and anything over 4" is a mortal sin.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1334514431' post='2418222']
Which brings up high heels. Good Christian women don't go over 2 1/2" inch ones, and anything over 4" is a mortal sin.
[/quote]Sarcasm in your hands is sometimes as clumsy as a three handled shovel. Mary was always dignified in flats, even as a teenager.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1334514431' post='2418222']
[/quote]

oh poo. i'm totally hell-bound then! :pinch:

cmotherofpirl

I am working on the family tree using the 1940 census. Household after household had lodgers, roomers, boarders whatever of the opposite sex. The % of people attending church back then was extremely high, are you gonna assume ALL these people were giving scandal??

A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. At one point, they came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they could help her.
The senior monk carried this woman on his shoulder, forded the river and let her down on the other bank. The junior monk was very upset, but said nothing.
They both were walking and senior monk noticed that his junior was suddenly silent and enquired “Is something the matter, you seem very upset?”
The junior monk replied, “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”
The senior monk replied, “I left the woman a long time ago at the bank, however, you seem to be carrying her still.”

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1334514747' post='2418226']
How do you walk in 4 inch heels???
[/quote]
very sexily :|

cmotherofpirl

lol I have enough trouble walking on the ground, heels would be an accident waiting to happen.
But of course at 5'?" I don't have far to fall. :)

I am simply saying that when Christ draws us closer to Him and makes Himself ever more known to us we must make choices that will change our lives. Conversion is a daily process yet there are days when the conversion is bigger than others. For example Protestant minsters whom God's grace has called them to Him more fully to come to the Catholic Church, have to change many things about their lives such as no longer being a pastor but just an ordinary parishioner, so there is a huge job change for one. St Paul himself had to change drastically as did St Augustine, the apostles and even us mere parishioners must continually change as well. I say this thinking of my own process of ongoing conversion and what has happened in my life, especially on this feast of Divine Mercy. It is encountering the love of Christ in His mercy that made me face and make difficult choices in life, to leave people and places and sins. Im not better or worse etc Ive just been there thats all.

Anyway Ive said all I have to for this thread. God Bless.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1334514747' post='2418226']
How do you walk in 4 inch heels???
[/quote]
I don't. But my wife is quite up to the task.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1334515133' post='2418231']
I am simply saying that when Christ draws us closer to Him and makes Himself ever more known to us we must make choices that will change our lives. Conversion is a daily process yet there are days when the conversion is bigger than others. For example Protestant minsters whom God's grace has called them to Him more fully to come to the Catholic Church, have to change many things about their lives such as no longer being a pastor but just an ordinary parishioner, so there is a huge job change for one. St Paul himself had to change drastically as did St Augustine, the apostles and even us mere parishioners must continually change as well. I say this thinking of my own process of ongoing conversion and what has happened in my life, especially on this feast of Divine Mercy. It is encountering the love of Christ in His mercy that made me face and make difficult choices in life, to leave people and places and sins. Im not better or worse etc Ive just been there thats all.

Anyway Ive said all I have to for this thread. God Bless.
[/quote]Just can't help but think about being the yeast in the dough, or being the yeast in the jar; burying the talents so you don't lose them; swallowing the camel or choking on the gnat. We made the point about being mature enough, being cautious, and accepting responsibility of your actions. I think charity of thought when judging others was added into the mix. Maybe it isn't a good idea, but not neccessarily a sin waiting to happen seemed to be the nuanced general conclusion.

A couple points/questions/additions:

1. I'm assuming most people don't view this living arrangement as a first choice, correct? That seems to be the consensus that I see.

2. Are we talking about just a guy and girl living together, or are we talking about multiple guys and/or multiple girls? Because, for me, that changes things quite a lot.

3. As a late teen guy (O MY GOSH I'M 20!?!?!?! I feel old.), I understand what FP is saying. Temptation is a powerful thing, and that is situation is certainly not devoid of temptation. However I can see a certain blame (note i'm [b]not[/b] accusing you of this, but this is something that I myself did when I had this mindset) that is being placed on others. The thought I'm seeing is that "YOU are tempting ME" and blaming the other person. Instead, a more mature response is to be cautious, know your limits, and, above all pray and frequent the sacraments. This obviously goes for everyone, guys and girls. Now obviously, I'm not saying "don't worry about avoiding temptation", avoiding temptation is a big part of the overall strategy. But its not the only part.

[quote name='StClare_OraProNobis' timestamp='1334495982' post='2418125']
This is actually why the pope speaks out against moral relativism. The culture should not define our moral life, Christ needs to define our moral life. I happen to think the Holy Father is a great authority regarding the moral life whether or not you think he is from a generation too old-fashioned to speak relevantly.
[/quote]

Again, this is where people get mixed up... living arrangements in general are not part of our moral life.

Notice that regardless of what his preferences may be the Holy Father has never said zilch about boys living with girls.

That's because living arrangements (and the assumptions you make about them) are culturally-conditioned. He comes from a culture (and a generation) for whom single women generally went from the protection of their father to the protection of their husbands. He knows I'm sure that this is a living pattern specific to his culture and would never think of proposing "rules" for all the Catholics of the world in that regard.

This doesn't stop the "more Catholic than the pope" impulse that sometimes drives the devout to lay down laws that don't exist.

While it should be carefully weighed, where you take up residence, on its own, has no bearing on your relationship with God.

There is no approved "Catholic housing set-up" that everyone has to follow, in all times, across all cultures, or be damned.

Now "shacking up" i.e. having premarital sex IS relevant to the moral life and the Church speaks on that all the time.

At one time when single men and women lived together, it was safe to assume they were having a sexual relationship. Nowadays men and women live together all the time without there being a sexual element to their relationship. So you can't assume. And most people don't assume.

You know what happens when you assume!

dominicansoul

[b] [size=8][b]“We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires... The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties.... We must become mature in this adult faith, we must guide the flock of Christ to this faith.”---Pope Benedict[/b][/size][/b]

I'm pretty sure Pope Benny isn't speaking from his own perspective and his own background or about the times he grew up in when he states things like this...

[size="3"][b]Catholic culture is dead, some of you don't even know how to define it. Catholic culture has to do with our beliefs and how we live/behave in regards to those beliefs. It used to be that people in our nation could tell who was Catholic and who was not. We had the whole "no eating meat on friday" thing going, and even our public schools used to reflect the Catholic culture by serving fish on Fridays. Hollywood used to make money off the Catholic culture by making movies that reflected Catholic beliefs... People outside the Faith knew when we celebrated our solemnities... On Sunday, shopping malls closed and grocery stores were only opened from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and even then, aisles were blocked off with blue tape and only those aisles that served essentials were left opened. Politicians knew they couldn't insult our beliefs without getting a whipping at the polls. Today that is all but disappeared. We used to have respect. The Catholic Identity was so strong in this nation... but now we have meshed with teh secular crowd, we've gotten used to thinking in secular ways instead of in our Faith... [/b][/size]

[size="3"][b]...in our sexually saturated society, where morality takes a beating (especially on college campuses,) I hope we Catholics can stand out as being counter-cultural to the[/b][/size][b] worldly trends ... [/b]

[size="3"][b]I am pretty sure this is the point Vee was trying to make... [/b][/size]

[size="3"][b]Oh, and Winnie, in those cultures where nudity is the norm, even then, the priests make the women cover their breasts at Mass, and the men must cover their privates... in the convent, I knew a Bishop who visited and he served in a very remote island... he showed us a video of the Mass there, and everyone was covered (this bishop made it mandatory during the Mass.) I guess he crapped in his pantaloons, and that's why he made them cover up? or maybe, anomaly, the priest is twisted for thinking they should be covered during Holy mass?? iono, if I go by some of the counter-arguments on this board, I'm the most twisted, old-fashioned, impure dirty thinker, gossipy individual ever because I worry about the sin of scandal... :P [/b][/size]

[size="3"][b]Okay, let your mocking commence... I'm out of this thread as well... bye :wave:[/b][/size]