An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opposite Sex Housemates

EmilyAnn

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' timestamp='1334338738' post='2417092']

The difference I'm trying to make is between ROOMmates (which would be scandouls) and HOUSEmates which is the norm for singles these days.
[/quote]
[quote name='Autumn Dusk' timestamp='1334338738' post='2417092']

People are getting married older, and it's no longer respectable to live at home till marriage..
[/quote]
What people? Where? Ethopians? Mexicans? Japanese? Polish? Hindus? Muslims? Atheists?

We are all from different cultures etc but as Catholics we are to follow the Church and the Pope first. We are to be in the world but not of the world. We are to be fully Catholic first and an excellent model to follow is Mary. Would Our Lady put herself in such a situation etc?

We have here no lasting home. We are merely passing through on our way to heaven (hopefully) and what we do in our lives must lead ourselves and others there. Be perfect as your heavenly father is perfect.

PhuturePriest

Here's my question: Could you see Blessed John Paul the Great cohabitating with a girl before he was ordained? If your answer is no, why is that? It seems okay for us, but if it is a Saint, suddenly everything changes. Saints were like us and we should expect the same from us that we would expect from them. I would never in a hundred years cohabitate with a girl (Yes, even if we had different rooms) because, although I am doing great with self-control, I wouldn't trust myself. If you're a woman and you trust the man you're living with you're kidding yourself. You have no idea just how powerful our urges can be. I do realize women have the same urges, but they usually aren't as strong and women have more self-control, as is proven with science. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter cohabitating and I would drag my son by the ear back home if he told me he was cohabitating. Call me old-fashioned, but I simply do not think this is moral.

Im pretty sure Jesus slept in the same house, possibly room as other women that he was obviously not married to.

i will certainly do better (than my parents did) explaining to my children why you should not cohabitate with your spouse before marriage, but I'm not sure what I would say to them about rooming with opposite sex roommates.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1334361342' post='2417403']
:o heresy!!!!
[/quote]

Obviously, all of my posts are heresy, eh DS? lol

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1334316179' post='2416919']
Children will think the two are married. Then I have to explain they are not. The children get real confused. I say this from experience. Does it scandalize children? I don't know, but I do know they are puzzled. I believe if they witness it enough, they will come to think that it is no big deal to live[or shack up] with someone of opposite gender.
[/quote]
[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1334321981' post='2416939']
What you said above, a child hears as blah, blah, blah... You are speaking as an adult processing the situation. Children don't process the same as mature adults. You can tell them all you want, but there is still a good chance that all they still understand is that their older cousin Bubba is living with a girl.
[/quote]

I agree with Papist. :|

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334359869' post='2417393'] I would never in a hundred years cohabitate with a girl (Yes, even if we had different rooms) because, although I am doing great with self-control, I wouldn't trust myself. If you're a woman and you trust the man you're living with you're kidding yourself. You have no idea just how powerful our urges can be.
[/quote]Just curious, who are you telling they have no idea about powerful urges? Are you a different species?

Unless you're defective, you do have control over your urges. It's a matter choosing to maintain control. It's highly unlikely you'll succumb to your urges and commit rape.

You might mean succumbing to your weakness if the opportunity arose, but I think you'll talk your way out of it. (teasing a bit). But seriously, I think that's an important distinction.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1334364712' post='2417426']
Just curious, who are you telling they have no idea about powerful urges? Are you a different species?

Unless you're defective, you do have control over your urges. It's a matter choosing to maintain control. It's highly unlikely you'll succumb to your urges and commit rape.

You might mean succumbing to your weakness if the opportunity arose, but I think you'll talk your way out of it. (teasing a bit). But seriously, I think that's an important distinction.
[/quote]

I expected I might have someone critique that comment just a little bit.

I'm not saying you have absolutely no control over yourself. But I would certainly never trust a man and his alleged "self-control" to live with my daughter. I'm not doubting that it is possible to decline your temptation, but I am not trusting a man whose hormones are going off like fireworks to protect my daughter's innocence. I am not saying he will rape her, but I do believe women also have times of weakness, especially if the man is Sean Connery.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334366551' post='2417446']
I expected I might have someone critique that comment just a little bit.

I'm not saying you have absolutely no control over yourself. But I would certainly never trust a man and his alleged "self-control" to live with my daughter. I'm not doubting that it is possible to decline your temptation, but I am not trusting a man whose hormones are going off like fireworks to protect my daughter's innocence. I am not saying he will rape her, but I do believe women also have times of weakness, especially if the man is Sean Connery.
[/quote]

You realize he's over eighty years old. :|

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1334367332' post='2417460']

[/quote]The hell I am!

PhuturePriest

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1334367332' post='2417460']
[/quote]

You do realize he is James Bond. :|

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334359869' post='2417393']
Here's my question: Could you see Blessed John Paul the Great cohabitating with a girl before he was ordained? If your answer is no, why is that? It seems okay for us, but if it is a Saint, suddenly everything changes. Saints were like us and we should expect the same from us that we would expect from them. I would never in a hundred years cohabitate with a girl (Yes, even if we had different rooms) because, although I am doing great with self-control, I wouldn't trust myself. If you're a woman and you trust the man you're living with you're kidding yourself. You have no idea just how powerful our urges can be. I do realize women have the same urges, but they usually aren't as strong and women have more self-control, as is proven with science. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter cohabitating and I would drag my son by the ear back home if he told me he was cohabitating. Call me old-fashioned, but I simply do not think this is moral.
[/quote]

rotfl :lol4: