Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

How is anti-Catholicism defined and how do we combat it? Do misconceptions about the faith count as anti-Catholicism? For example, I was just watching fox news and Bob Beckle just said "I think Catholicism is the biggest disruption to Christianity." Does this count??? I am always confronting things blatantly false about the faith and I'm never sure how to react.

Posted

I think you made a McDomble post here.

Of course, you could stop watching Fox News for starters. TV is nothing but poison these days anyways, and you can watch EWTN online anyhow.

eagle_eye222001
Posted

[b]Anti-Catholicism[/b][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] is a generic term for [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination"]discrimination[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3], hostility or [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudice"]prejudice[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] directed against [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicism"]Catholicism[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3], and especially against the [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church"]Catholic Church[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3], its [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clergy"]clergy[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3] or its adherents. The term also applies to the [/size][/font][/color][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_persecution"]religious persecution[/url][color=#000000][font=sans-serif][size=3]of Catholics or to a "religious orientation opposed to Catholicism."[/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism[/url]


Seems to capture the meaning very well.

We combat it by discussing it with those who listen, praying for those who don't, and living out our faith in our daily lives. :crusader2:

No sense it getting worked up by Bob what'shisname.

Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333662070' post='2413456']
How is anti-Catholicism defined and how do we combat it? Do misconceptions about the faith count as anti-Catholicism? [/quote]

Define= Hates Catholics on the grounds of misconceptions or not grounded at all.

Combat- Expaine clearly and calmlly the misconceptions away.

Misconceptions are not Anti-Catolic but can lead to those notions.

Posted

You watch "The Five," too? Greg Gutfeld is humorous.

Posted

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333689697' post='2413562']
You watch "The Five," too? Greg Gutfeld is humorous.
[/quote]

His show Red Eye is the poo. It comes on at 3:00am. I watch it almost every night. It was better earlier on. Back before he was tyring to put on a more respectable face. But still funny.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333689896' post='2413563']
His show Red Eye is the poo. It comes on at 3:00am. I watch it almost every night. It was better earlier on. Back before he was tyring to put on a more respectable face. But still funny.
[/quote]

I LOVE THAT SHOW... seriously.

Posted

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjUKwoHUyw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjUKwoHUyw[/url]

Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333662070' post='2413456']
How is anti-Catholicism defined and how do we combat it? Do misconceptions about the faith count as anti-Catholicism? For example, I was just watching fox news and Bob Beckle just said "I think Catholicism is the biggest disruption to Christianity." Does this count??? I am always confronting things blatantly false about the faith and I'm never sure how to react.
[/quote]

Serbs blowing up Catholic Churches in the Balkans is anti-Catholicism. Laws in the American South which banned Catholics from voting on the grounds that they weren't Christian is anti-Catholicism. Making an intellectual criticism of Catholicism or Catholic policies (like the affinity between the Church and Churchmen with fascism and fascist parties in Europe and South America throughout much of the 20th century) is not.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333690233' post='2413565']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOjUKwoHUyw[/media]
[/quote]

You know the only thing Chris Brown is guilt of?

A felony.

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1333690625' post='2413569']
You know the only thing Chris Brown is guilt of?

A felony.
[/quote]

GUILTY... not guilt. POO

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333690374' post='2413566']
Serbs blowing up Catholic Churches in the Balkans is anti-Catholicism. Laws in the American South which banned Catholics from voting on the grounds that they weren't Christian is anti-Catholicism. Making an intellectual criticism of Catholicism or Catholic policies (like the affinity between the Church and Churchmen with fascism and fascist parties in Europe and South America throughout much of the 20th century) is not.
[/quote]
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1333690374' post='2413566']
Serbs blowing up Catholic Churches in the Balkans is anti-Catholicism. Laws in the American South which banned Catholics from voting on the grounds that they weren't Christian is anti-Catholicism. Making an intellectual criticism of Catholicism or Catholic policies (like the affinity between the Church and Churchmen with fascism and fascist parties in Europe and South America throughout much of the 20th century) is not.
[/quote]

Intellectual. You're too funny.

Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333711830' post='2413606']
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.
[/quote]

This what I do, or try my best to. That is explain my faith and why I believe/do such. I do not go on how another's faith/beliefs are wrong, much less say they are condemned to hell, which I have gotten. I have met many here in the South that I know more what they don't believe(i.e. Catholic "stuff") than what they do believe. I have found the best way to combat anti-Catholicism is talk to the person and ask questions as if you are wanting to get to know them. I mean seriously, wouldn't you want to know the cause of their hatred.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333711830' post='2413606']
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.
[/quote]

Hm, I might disagree a little, if "intellectual criticism" is used in the way it should be. There are events in the Church's history that should be criticized. Even if they hurt, they are true. Only the truth will help us address these changes (as many of them have!). For instance, when people bring up the sexual abuse crisis in a challenging but respectful way- not making sweeping generalizations or punitive remarks about all priests, but rather, asking because they believe what happened was a violation of those people's God-given dignity by those that should have been there to lead them closer to heaven- I think it's our duty to address those calmly and prayerfully. That's not anti-Catholicism. It's a criticism that hurts, but it's something that needs to be talked about.

Fr. Ron Rolheiser came to our parish last year and talked a little bit about this. Sometimes we're so sick of hearing about it that every comment feels more like a jab, but this has and continues to purify our Church. Hopefully this situation never happens again, but sadly, if that exterior criticism wasn't there, the disgusting behavior may have continued.

So, long rambling paragraph to say that a criticism (especially ones that are still respectful) isn't necessarily anti-Catholic. Even if it hurts, we shouldn't cry "discrimination." Now, when someone generalizes the whole Church as pedophiles, that's anti-Catholicism... which should still be addressed prayerfully and calmly.

Edit: sorry about the massive run-on sentences. Don't have time to fix them. Got to go!

Edited by Lisa
Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333711830' post='2413606']
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.
[/quote]
Using your logic we also shouldn't talk about radical Islam inspiring 9/11 because that would clearly hurt the Muslims who want peace.

Hasan did not make any statement that his faith--if he has one--is better or more true than Catholicism, he merely pointed out past faults among the Catholic clergy that have been threats, or have been used to further advance threats to our society. Why is trying to learn from history anti-Catholic?

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1333719119' post='2413634']
Using your logic we also shouldn't talk about radical Islam inspiring 9/11 because that would clearly hurt the Muslims who want peace.

Hasan did not make any statement that his faith--if he has one--is better or more true than Catholicism, he merely pointed out past faults among the Catholic clergy that have been threats, or have been used to further advance threats to our society. Why is trying to learn from history anti-Catholic?
[/quote]

I actually think that we shouldn't rip into anyones faith. It's just wrong. radical [u]I[/u]slam however wants to physically injure people in a very destructive way.If it didn't aim to hurt anyone I would say it was fine. Catholicism is about faith, love and charity; very different from radicle islam. And Islam is a fine religion, its just that the [b]extremists[/b] want to blow everyone up. Also, the church isn't defined by the people like may other denominations. [u]The Church[/u] is the teachings and doctrines inspired by the Holy Spirit and passed down to the faithful from the apostle who Jesus christ taught Himself. People make mistakes. God doesn't so to insult or "critique" his church is very offensive to him and those who love him. You can learn about history all you want, but to take history and morph it into a politically charged argument against a given religion is just WRONG!! Didn't yo mama teach you manners!!!!!

Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333711830' post='2413606']
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.
[/quote]

so then, is the intellectual criticism of protestants, gay issues, islam, liberals here, actually Anti-(all those things?) because most people here say other wise.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

I generally don't see "intellectual criticism" of the Church as anti-Catholic, since most of the people posting it usually just lack factual information as what we believe, its not personal. Saying your position on angels is wrong according to Church teaching is not the same as saying you are an idiot for believing in angels. Now that is personal. See the difference?

Posted (edited)

I disagree that islam is a fine religion. Just like I disagree mormonism is a fine religion. The people may be good hearted people but the religion itself is full of lies and half truths that only confuses people.

Edited by Guest
Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333711830' post='2413606']
I find it interesting you as a non catholic make that distinction. All the Catholics here, agree that "intellectual criticisms" are indeed anti-catholic. The thing is that I don't think people know half the time that they are deeply hurting people by their comments or "intellectual criticisms". I think that weather or not they realize they are hurting people, the "intellectual criticism" is actually anti-catholic. For instance I never talk openly about how much one faith is wrong or could be better because I know it would hurt someone. I do talk openly about my faith, though. I suppose there is so much to talk about in Catholicism that I don't need to bash someone else' faith.
[/quote]

Well I was raised Catholic and intended to be a monk through High School and I would have made the same distinction then.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...