Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1333809548' post='2413951']
What's so easy for you to say, is so easy for me to disprove.

[url="http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Jewish_Holidays/Passover/History/Medieval/Blood_Libels.shtml"]http://www.myjewishl...od_Libels.shtml[/url]

[url="http://www.iiipublishing.com/religion/catholic/popes/pius_xi_franco.html"]http://www.iiipublis..._xi_franco.html[/url]

So who is in denial now?
[/quote]
No offense but I don't even have to look at these links because the mistakes of people within the church have nothing to say about the church its self (plus my internet is really slow and it would take a while for it to load :hehe2: ). Its actually interesting the church is held to such a high standard. People in every religion do bad things but the only one who really get "punished" for it is the catholic church. The truth is You obviously have bad feelings about the church and I would encourage you to go on some catholic websites to learn the truth about Catholics instead of what other people tell you. and I am not saying the Church hasn't had it's faults but any faults were of the people and not the church itself because God doesn't make mistakes.
I hope this helps. :saint2: (unless you don't want help and just want to change my opinion which will not happen) In any case, God Bless! :)

Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333662070' post='2413456']
and how do we combat it?
[/quote]

with an iron maiden

Sister Marie
Posted

Cmotherofpirl, I probably should have quoted as I was posting so that it was clear what I was responding to. I certainly do not believe that we cannot judge actions as being sinful... but as you said, we cannot judge the person's culpability for them.

I thought it was clear (and after rereading I see that I wasn't! Sorry!) what I meant since we were not speaking about rape or theft or murder here but people who are ignorant of other religions and the things they say and think. The vehement insistence that someone was sinning by disagreeing with our religion was what I was responding to. And, no, I do not think you can call intellectual criticism of our belief system a sin. It [i]could[/i] be a sin of malice or pride... or it could just be that the person is confused... or that they experienced some very flawed member of our Church do something scandalous... or that they simply do not have the intelligence to tell truth from fiction and so promote beliefs that are incorrect because they were taught them by someone they trust.

Again, I am not saying that we cannot judge rape or theft as morally wrong - but neither of those were the topics in this thread. I apologize for not being clearer.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333810335' post='2413957']
No offense but I don't even have to look at these links because the mistakes of people within the church have nothing to say about the church its self (plus my internet is really slow and it would take a while for it to load :hehe2: ). Its actually interesting the church is held to such a high standard. People in every religion do bad things but the only one who really get "punished" for it is the catholic church.[/quote]
Right. Because no one has ever called out Islam for 9/11, or invaded Muslim countries over it, or anything like that. :|

[quote]The truth is You obviously have bad feelings about the church and I would encourage you to go on some catholic websites to learn the truth about Catholics instead of what other people tell you. and I am not saying the Church hasn't had it's faults but any faults were of the people and not the church itself because God doesn't make mistakes.[/quote]
No, I don't have bad feelings for the Catholic Church, I don't like how it inspires a victimization mentality in some people. It doesn't always happen, which is why I can't say that I have bad feelings for the Church itself, but it does happen.

As far as your matter is concerned now that you've actually provided more than a one-liner from Bob Beckel this does not appear to be you so I will let you get the guidance you need from your fellow Catholics. Peace.

Edited by r2Dtoo
Archaeology cat
Posted

Annie, my mother and sister can sometimes be anti-Catholic in that they dislike some Catholic beliefs and teachings (or their perceptions thereof). Really, I've learned that all I can do is pray, and charitably correct misunderstandings if/when they arise, and just live out my faith. They do not prevent me from living my faith, and aren't acting in hate, so in that respect aren't anti-Catholic, if I'm making sense. I find intellectual/academic discussions of my beliefs most helpful, and I also find that many simply have misunderstandings. If someone is hateful and doesn't want to listen, but just insists the Church is of Satan (like a discussion I had with someone before Lent), all I can do is walk away from the conversation and pray. That way I keep my temper in check, too. So to sum up: pray! Remember St Monica and her tireless praying and living out her faith. if the conversation can be kept charitable, speak up in charity. If it's better to address the issue later privately, which may be the case with a teacher, depending on the situation, then see about doing that. If talking to the person isn't going to go well, then don't. Preach the Gospel at all times and use words when necessary.

God bless

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333810335' post='2413957']
No offense but I don't even have to look at these links because the mistakes of people within the church have nothing to say about the church its self (plus my internet is really slow and it would take a while for it to load :hehe2: ). Its actually interesting the church is held to such a high standard. People in every religion do bad things but the only one who really get "punished" for it is the catholic church. The truth is You obviously have bad feelings about the church and I would encourage you to go on some catholic websites to learn the truth about Catholics instead of what other people tell you. and I am not saying the Church hasn't had it's faults but any faults were of the people and not the church itself because God doesn't make mistakes.
I hope this helps. :saint2: (unless you don't want help and just want to change my opinion which will not happen) In any case, God Bless! :)
[/quote]

Actually if you had bothered to read the links your response would be different....

Posted

I'm not 100% trying to be rude, but Annie12 is demonstrating she's well on her way to being the typical "good" Catholic. In fact, she's quite precocious in her pious unreasonableness.

Posted

Well, I am resigned to the fact that every one of my posts is going to offend Annie12, wish i could feel sad about that.

Posted

[quote name='r2Dtoo' timestamp='1333811287' post='2413971']
Right. Because no one has ever called out Islam for 9/11, or invaded Muslim countries over it, or anything like that. :|


No, I don't have bad feelings for the Catholic Church, I don't like how it inspires a victimization mentality in some people. It doesn't always happen, which is why I can't say that I have bad feelings for the Church itself, but it does happen.

As far as your matter is concerned now that you've actually provided more than a one-liner from Bob Beckel this does not appear to be you so I will let you get the guidance you need from your fellow Catholics. Peace.
[/quote]
I really don't want to debate this issue anymore so lets both stop. I disagree with you and and you with me and we are going nowhere on this topic so just lets leave it alone. Personally, I think you are making no sense. I don't want to have bad feeling towards anyone so lets top before I do. Thanks! ;)

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1333818820' post='2414006']
Well, I am resigned to the fact that every one of my posts is going to offend Annie12, wish i could feel sad about that.
[/quote]
You really just want to hurt people. Don't you? I wouldn't do that. Any way my post to r2Dtoo goes for you too. Just stop. This has turned into arguing and it's not constructive.

Posted

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1333814096' post='2413989']
I'm not 100% trying to be rude, but Annie12 is demonstrating she's well on her way to being the typical "good" Catholic. In fact, she's quite precocious in her pious unreasonableness.
[/quote]
I think I see what is happening here, all the non-Catholics are ganging up on me to hurt me. well congratulation because you did. I actually am serious and all you guys want to do is hurt me. Shows what kind of people you are. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you have to insult me. Just stop!

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1333813197' post='2413981']
Actually if you had bothered to read the links your response would be different....
[/quote]
My internet doesn't work today. sorry. :bomb:

cmotherofpirl
Posted

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1333822135' post='2414025']
I think I see what is happening here, all the non-Catholics are ganging up on me to hurt me. well congratulation because you did. I actually am serious and all you guys want to do is hurt me. Shows what kind of people you are. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you have to insult me. Just stop!
[/quote]

I happen to be catholic and I would like to point out to you that no one has ganged up on you, they simply disagree with you. So do I.
Victimhood is not pretty.

Archaeology cat
Posted

Annie, for what it's worth, I know what it's like living in an area that is very secular,and being around people who aren't exactly fond of your beliefs. I'm a convert. My mother and sister aren't always happy about that. Wile I know many practising Catholics here, that wasn't the case in Liverpool, where I may have had more pagan friends than Catholic ones. I know it can be hard. Just keep praying and living your faith. :)

Posted

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1333823028' post='2414034']
Annie, for what it's worth, I know what it's like living in an area that is very secular,and being around people who aren't exactly fond of your beliefs. I'm a convert. My mother and sister aren't always happy about that. Wile I know many practising Catholics here, that wasn't the case in Liverpool, where I may have had more pagan friends than Catholic ones. I know it can be hard. Just keep praying and living your faith. :)
[/quote]
Thank you :)

Posted

Annie
Your probably a nice girl and all, people aren't ganging up on you just because. We're calling out b.s. when it's obvious. Just because you claim hurt feelings first, doesn't make us monsters. Learn to agree to disagree AND let others have their say. Being overly sensitive is very similar to passive aggressive.

cmotherofpirl
Posted

Annie the first way to combat real anti-Catholicism is to pray from them. The second thing is to arm yourself with the facts about Catholic teaching so you are always ready to peacefully explain them. If they ask questions you cannot answer, say so honestly and go look it up, and talk again. If someone is not interested in the facts, simply wish them well and go again pray for them. If its on a website, respond to them kindly with the facts. Many people haven't a clue how prejudiced they really are.

Basilisa Marie
Posted

I grew up in an area where everything from ignorant misconceptions from other Christians to "intellectual criticisms" from agnostics/atheists was the norm. People tended to listen to me more when I told them why I wanted to stay in the Church despite the terrible things people have done, and acknowledged that those things were indeed terrible. I personally feel that talking too much about "anti-Catholicism" in places like America only cheapens the experiences of people who actually have to deal with the possibility of martyrdom on a daily basis. Christ told us that the world will hate us...so the whole spectrum from blind ignorance to martyrdom is par for the course.

Sure, all that doesn't change that it can totally smell of elderberries to be surrounded by people who don't understand or are even antagonistic. I've been there, it really bites. But like others have said, prayer definitely helps. Read up on different kinds of apologetics, and try to patiently explain things to people. I eventually got out of the habit of engaging with people who aren't interested in honest discussion and mutual understanding, because it was too much for me to handle.

Posted

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1333823802' post='2414041']
Annie the first way to combat real anti-Catholicism is to pray from them. The second thing is to arm yourself with the facts about Catholic teaching so you are always ready to peacefully explain them. If they ask questions you cannot answer, say so honestly and go look it up, and talk again. If someone is not interested in the facts, simply wish them well and go again pray for them. If its on a website, respond to them kindly with the facts. Many people haven't a clue how prejudiced they really are.
[/quote]
Okay so [b]I completely agree with you[/b] but I feel you hinting that I was not kind in this thread so I will direct you to some of the post above where people where basically saying they can't feel bad about hurting me. Hmmmmm... that sounds like a double standard to me. I can't help but be hurt by that. I'm pretty sure Jesus wouldn't treat people like that. I also think I should be able to defend my self and not be labeled as "pretentious" and "unreasonable". I already said I was sorry for any hurt feelings I may have caused. I don't know why no one has accepted my apology. And even if I am making no sense It doesn't call for insults. Disagreeing is okay.

[b]TO ALL OF PHATMASS I OFFICIALLY APOLOGIZE FOR THE AGONY I MAY HAVE CAUSED YOU BY READING MY NONSENSICAL, UNREASONABLE POSTS (and having such a painfully different view than you).[/b] :cry:

can this be the end. please, please, please! :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg: :beg:

Brother Adam
Posted

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1333814096' post='2413989']
I'm not 100% trying to be rude, but Annie12 is demonstrating she's well on her way to being the typical "good" Catholic. In fact, she's quite precocious in her pious unreasonableness.
[/quote]

Wanna wrestle?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...