An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Old Were You/ Will You Be?

Annie12

I was just wondering, how were/will you be when you (enter) religious life? It's a good fur or more years until I do and I was just wondering when God called everyone. :saint2:

Just a gentle reminder to let God show you His plan ... which means in all honesty no one really knows (well, except those who are about to enter) what age you will be [s]when[/s] if you enter.

Now those who have entered ... that's a different story :).

Edited by cmariadiaz

PhuturePriest

This depends. If I join the Franciscan Brothers Minor I will be seventeen, which is in less than two years. If not and I'm maybe called to the Franciscan Brothers of Peace, I must be eighteen. However, if I join the Diocesan Priesthood or the FSSP, I will enroll when I am eighteen and will be ordained when I am twenty-five for the FSSP and twenty-six for the Diocese. The reason for this is the FSSP only have a seven year long program while the Diocese has an eight year long one. And finally, if I become a Dominican, I must be twenty, which is sad since I do not agree with this, but I can see why they do it. Guys are getting dumber and and more immature as time goes by, it seems. However, I think this should be on a person to person basis, rather than a rule for everyone despite their upbringing.

Strictlyinkblot

Probably forty. Realistically its going to take 2-3 years to clear my debts and then I have to get my mortgage down to a level where I can sell my apartment for enough to cover it.

OnlySunshine

The order I'm discerning has a cut-off of 35 years old. I'm hoping and praying that, if I do have a vocation with them, that I will be able to enter before I'm 31. I'll be 29 this year so 2 years from now.

maximillion

I was 23 (in 1972), having done double nursing qualifications and stayed on as a Staff nurse for a year to sort finances, save a little etc.
Fortunately being in the UK I didn't have any debts, and the community I entered had just reduced the amount needed for Dowry and only required us to cover the amount needed for National Insurance contributions for the first two years, and of course, health insurance, since I entered in France where there is no NHS.

she_who_is_not

Hopefully, if God wills it, sometime before fifty. My goal is before 35. However, I have debts to the moon and I'm barely paying my bills. My SD said this is a trial and not sign that I do not have a vocation, but sometimes I wonder.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1334510996' post='2418197']
My SD said this is a trial and not sign that I do not have a vocation, but sometimes I wonder.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean

Lilllabettt

Went in at 21. Out at 23. Will be 27 at the end of the month. My goal I guess is to have a direction before 30. hmm, ageing.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

It truly depends how the rest of God's Plan unfolds, but I am hoping for 18 or 19.