An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Old Were You/ Will You Be?

Annie12

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334604166' post='2418872']
See, when you get past controversial issues like cohabitation, I can scare you with some good advice. :P
[/quote]

The C-word! :paperbag:

Very good question . . . I don't know. I'm 21 now, I won't graduate until I'm 22. After that, who knows? God willing it will be by the time I am 25.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1334615123' post='2418996']
Very good question . . . I don't know. I'm 21 now, I won't graduate until I'm 22. After that, who knows? God willing it will be by the time I am 25.
[/quote]

Why do you say that? Do you have those mental 'milestone' ages as well? :bounce: I randomly have certain ages marked off in my head for certain things - not in a 'have to do this by a certain age' way, just random 'markers', probably based on people I knew growing up.

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1334615296' post='2418998']
Why do you say that? Do you have those mental 'milestone' ages as well? :bounce: I randomly have certain ages marked off in my head for certain things - not in a 'have to do this by a certain age' way, just random 'markers', probably based on people I knew growing up.
[/quote]

I think it's because that was the age I always wanted to get married. I wanted 3 kids and I wanted to have them before I was 30 so if I was married at 25 I could have my kids at 26, 28 and 30.

Welll... I think sometimes God surprises us. As I noted on a different thread, I THOUGHT God wanted me to be a nun, and I planned that way all through high school. Lived as if I was already one (too much so, I think now....). You wouldn't have been able to convince me of that at that point, however...

I started attending Secular Order meetings in mid-high-school but I always thought God wanted me to be a nun. (If someone came to us now and said that, we'd tell them to slow down, because they are different vocations). However, I attended the formation program for 2 years rather than the usual-at-that-time six months, and was received as a novice in the Secular Order at age 18 and one month (not eligible until I had completed 18 years -- that pesky Canon Law again....). The legislation for our Secular Order at that point had us make our final profession immediately after two years novitiate, so I made my Promise at the grand old age of 20 years and 2 months.

I think it was WAY too early in retrospect, but God must have known what He was doing!

I was unable to enter the cloistered community I had dreamed of for health reasons, but I did enter an active semi-contemplative community at 26 (and was the ELDEST by far in my class....) but discerned within 6 months that that was not what God wanted from me.... and the Sisters agreed. Glad I went; glad I came home. Was a life changing experience for me.

Discerned the cloister again in my late 20's; my mother got ill, and those plans didn't happen.... God's beautiful will intervened.....

Discerned a vocation to several active communities for about 3 years and nearly entered into one.... until once again, God made it VERY clear that while I might want that, He had other plans.... and I fell further in love with my God and with His plans for me....

I've spent the last 20 years or so doing formation work with our Secular Order.... and helping many people discern vocations. If we let Him, God will definitely let us know his plans -- but he often has big surprises in store for us... I certainly never would have thought my way of living out a spousal relationship with my God would include having a human husband as well... but it does....

19 years ago (in my mid 30's) those plans included marriage for me.... and I am grateful, grateful, grateful to my God for the wonderful vocation He has given me.... and now that includes sharing PHATmass with all of you!

God is good... always!

If the application process goes smoothly and if God wills it, 17. But you never know! A lot of surprises have come along already. Many still wait.

I'm 19 and the reason I started this post was to see if the age I think I may enter at is normal. I am going to a four year college in the fall to begin my freshman year. This college pays off the debt of anyone who wants to peruse a religious vocation. I feel so blessed because not only do I believe God is calling me to religious life but he seems to be clearing a path for me to be able to enter. If I enter when I think I will, it will be when I am 23 or 24ish. :saint2:
p.s. I hate it when I second guess my vocation because of trivial matters like leaving home and giving up my stuff. Does this happen to anyone else? :unsure:

LaPetiteSoeur

Will be 23/24. I won't have any debt once I finish university, thanks to a scholarship and the generosity of a grandmother. Also, the school is a state school, so it's not awfully expensive!

But really, whenever God wills it will be fine with me!

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1334709103' post='2419878']
I'm 19 and the reason I started this post was to see if the age I think I may enter at is normal. I am going to a four year college in the fall to begin my freshman year. This college pays off the debt of anyone who wants to peruse a religious vocation. I feel so blessed because not only do I believe God is calling me to religious life but he seems to be clearing a path for me to be able to enter. If I enter when I think I will, it will be when I am 23 or 24ish. :saint2:
p.s. I hate it when I second guess my vocation because of trivial matters like leaving home and giving up my stuff. Does this happen to anyone else? :unsure:
[/quote]
That's so razzle dazzle that your college pays off their debt. Do you mind sharing where you're going next year? I'll be a freshman at college next year as well; I don't think my college does that, but it should!
I said I was hoping for 19, but if my dad gets his way, I'll be 20 because he wants me to get an associates degree which I don't care about. Actually, if my dad got his way, I would never enter... :rolleyes:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1334720418' post='2420013']
That's so razzle dazzle that your college pays off their debt. Do you mind sharing where you're going next year? I'll be a freshman at college next year as well; I don't think my college does that, but it should!
I said I was hoping for 19, but if my dad gets his way, I'll be 20 because he wants me to get an associates degree which I don't care about. Actually, if my dad got his way, I would never enter... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I don't know if this is the college that Annie12 is talking about, but I know Christendom College assists students who enter the seminary or religious life if they have student debt.

[quote]We loan at 10 percent interest with a six-year repayment period which usually begins one year after you leave Christendom. However, there are deferments available for students who continue their schooling elsewhere, or go on to graduate school, [b]enter the seminary or religious life[/b], or are working for a Catholic apostolate. There is no accrued interest from the time the loan is taken out to the time of repayment, which begins one year (the grace year) after the student ceases enrollment at the College. Students who repay their loan during the grace year can, in effect, receive an interest free loan on any portion of the principal paid by the student during the grace year. [/quote]

[/quote]

Absolutely. I've travelled at lot in my life, I've been very lucky and I have some amesome things I've collected from the places I've been. A lot of them are quite sentimental and some are very unique. It does kind of break my heart that I'd have to give up those things because they are very special to me. That's the biggest obstacle for me really, I do get too attached to my possessions. But I guess it's a learning experience whether I enter or not.

[/quote]

I wouldn't say it is trivial.... the life IS a radical life and a radical choice and one needs grace along the way. Your reactions simply prove that you are normal. It just means, that when (if) you go, you will be giving Jesus a sacrificial gift. What I find wonderful to focus on during such trials (I have a beautiful niece and nephew who have stolen my heart.... not seeing them on a regular basis is going to be a HUGE sacrifice) is that God [b]cannot[/b] be outdone in generosity.... and the fact that my God will be close, close, close with me during the hard times..... even if I cannot feel his presence. Just knowing my Spouse is with me (even in Faith) is a huge consolation.

.... but it doesn't mean that I find leaving people (and stuff) easy.

On the more trivial side of things... I will miss cute shoes. They are not worth my vocation (by far) but the earthly part of me still likes such things. :sweat:

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1334720418' post='2420013']
[/quote]
I am going to Thoma More College of Liberal Arts in the Fall. I'm not going there for the scholarship though. I'm going because I believe God has called me there. Even without the scholarship, I would go if God wants me to because as long as I follow the path Christ has planned for me, I can trust that he will lead me to happiness! I did so much praying to find where God was leading me. Now all I have to do is trust! :hehe2:

Edited by Annie12

[quote name='mantellata' timestamp='1334745454' post='2420106']
On the more trivial side of things... I will miss cute shoes.[/quote]

Oh goodness yes. I'm happy to admit that I believed I was 'not that vain' until I had to spend 3 months (dv) in postulant clothes while still living in the 3rd most expensive city on the face of the earth. Let that be a lesson to you, ladies - don't get rid of all your gladrags until you absolutely have to! :pinch: