An Old School Catholic Message Board

Qd's Countdown Thread

Queen'sDaughter

What's a petition? And is my naivety showing? :P QD: As happy as you are to have that solved, there must be so much rejoicing at the Benedictines of Mary house!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341428338' post='2452366']
Wow, they probably thought you didn't want to enter there anymore! Glad to know that you made contact! :hehe2:
[/quote]

This!

Edited by emmaberry

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1341437996' post='2452385']
What's a petition? And is my naivety showing? :P QD: As happy as you are to have that solved, there must be so much rejoicing at the Benedictines of Mary house!

This!
[/quote]

A petition is a letter requesting entrance which states the reasons why you feel God is calling you to the particular community. Many communities request them. It's been around for a long time. I remember when my friend had to petition the Carmelite community she was entering. She had already been admitted for entrance, but this was simply a formality that showed that she was entering of her own free will and wasn't being coerced. :)

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1341247586' post='2451491']
I realize that in my frustration I may have painted a poor picture of Father. He has been so sweet, but he is terribly busy. On top of that, writing is hard for him, so he tends to put it off as much as possible! But I would not want any other priest to write my recommendation. Father is my SD, and he is my pastor, and he is my number-one cheerleader. He really didn't realize that I need the letter BEFORE I enter!
[/quote]

You might try writing a draft example for him and asking him to personalise it for you. One priest actually asked me to do this first. He totally changed what I had written but I think it gave him ideas about what to write and made it easier for him. Not all priests know what a convent is looking for in a reference letter. Keep it simple and let him add anything he wants. Or just ask him if it would help him if you drew up a draft first to give him some idea. It might sound strange, but I have even had employers ask me to draft up a reference for them to polish off and sign.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1341489665' post='2452482']
You might try writing a draft example for him and asking him to personalise it for you. One priest actually asked me to do this first. He totally changed what I had written but I think it gave him ideas about what to write and made it easier for him. Not all priests know what a convent is looking for in a reference letter. Keep it simple and let him add anything he wants. Or just ask him if it would help him if you drew up a draft first to give him some idea. It might sound strange, but I have even had employers ask me to draft up a reference for them to polish off and sign.
[/quote]

That's a great idea! :)

Mary's Margaret

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1341489665' post='2452482']
[/quote]

I did this when I was approaching communities and it worked very well. The priest appreciated having something to start from.

• 2 weeks later...
Queen'sDaughter

Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!!!

I got the list, and the official letter of acceptance from Mother Cecilia today!!!!!!!!!! I am still trying to grasp that everything has been "officialized"! Everything has been rather abstract so far, and it is still sinking in that I really, truly, AM GOING TO THE CONVENT!!!!!!!!

No more of this "I am accepted, but it is still unofficial" stuff. I am accepted, full stop now!

Queen'sDaughter

Yes, September 15th. The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows.

It seems to me that some of you wanted me to post the list once I got it. Here goes (slightly edited):

Documentation:

Driver's License
Social Security Card
Valid passport
Batismal certificate signed by pastor in the last six months

Clothing and Footwear:

4-6 pairs of white, cotton briefs and dark, waterproof work boots, sturdy on the ankles
Warm, black gloves or mittens and scarf
Quiet black shoes and sandals (low heels)
Long, dark, hooded robe
Sneakers
4-6 pairs of black knee high socks

Other:

Hair brush and/or comb, toothbrush, deodorant
Wooden-bead, cord rosary and St. Benedict medal attached
For the cell: 1 crucifix with which to be buried, a picture or statue of Our Lady, a 2nd picture of a saint, if desired
1 small, unframed family photograph
Address book, if desired
Douay-Rheims Bible
1962 Latin/English Daily Missal
1962 Diurnal
Second pair of glasses
Sunglasses, if desired
Hobby or instument, if desired.

There you go! I love the "Long, dark, hooded robe." "Bagginssesss"

I am so happy for you!!

Question, what is a diurnal as compared to a typical breviary and where does one find one?? I love the part about being buried with the crucifix and the fact that you can bring your own. I have one that is very special to me but it is a wall crucifix and probably 2.5 feet long so I would assume a wee bit too large to bring lol!

Continued prayers for you in this most graced time!!

When they say "long, dark hooded robe," are they talking about a bathrobe with a hood, or are they talking about a cape/tunic thing (very bagginnssesss)... By the way, are you a slight bit bummed that [i]the Hobbit[/i] is coming out after entrance?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1342287392' post='2455630']
Yes, September 15th. The Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows.

It seems to me that some of you wanted me to post the list once I got it. Here goes (slightly edited):

Documentation:

Driver's License
Social Security Card
Valid passport
Batismal certificate signed by pastor in the last six months

Clothing and Footwear:

4-6 pairs of white, cotton briefs and dark, waterproof work boots, sturdy on the ankles
Warm, black gloves or mittens and scarf
Quiet black shoes and sandals (low heels)
Long, dark, hooded robe
Sneakers
4-6 pairs of black knee high socks

Other:

Hair brush and/or comb, toothbrush, deodorant
Wooden-bead, cord rosary and St. Benedict medal attached
For the cell: 1 crucifix with which to be buried, a picture or statue of Our Lady, a 2nd picture of a saint, if desired
1 small, unframed family photograph
Address book, if desired
Douay-Rheims Bible
1962 Latin/English Daily Missal
1962 Diurnal
Second pair of glasses
Sunglasses, if desired
Hobby or instument, if desired.

There you go! I love the "Long, dark, hooded robe." "Bagginssesss"
[/quote]

How wonderful! I am so glad everything is official! :yahoo:

Would you like help looking for any of these items online like the 1962 Diurnal or the Bible? I love researching things. :)

Queen'sDaughter

Piobaire: Here is a link that explains the difference: [url="http://www.saintlaurenceosb.org/documents/diurnaltutorial.pdf"]http://www.saintlaurenceosb.org/documents/diurnaltutorial.pdf[/url] And I think that 2.5 ft long might be a bit big! "Mother, what will we do? We can't close the coffin!" Haha. Mine is tiny, only about 5-6 inches. But it is so stark and plain that I can't help loving it. It is beautifuly detailed, and my favorite devotional.

Lisa: I don't know, but I assumed something like a bathrobe. And yes, I am bummed. I finally reconciled to it by deciding that not entering the convent because I wanted to watch a movie was a VERY stupid reason to not enter the convent!

Mater: My birthday is Wednesday, so my family took my list! We'll have to see what happens. There are 3 Catholic stores and a very good shoe store in town, so I will probably be okay. But thank you anyway!

Thanks for the prayers, y'all! I need them!

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1342381660' post='2455874']

Lisa: I don't know, but I assumed something like a bathrobe. And yes, I am bummed. I finally reconciled to it by deciding that not entering the convent because I wanted to watch a movie was a VERY stupid reason to not enter the convent!

Thanks for the prayers, y'all! I need them!
[/quote]

bahahah!!! so true!