An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Can A Faithful Catholic Be A Democrat?

Groo the Wanderer

And belonging to a party doesn't necessarily mean you'll vote that way. Voting is where culpability comes into play.

cmotherofpirl

I would never defend the democratic party :) and I would never vote for Obama, but when it comes to offices like local magistrate or dogcatcher etc half the time its only a democrat on the slate. There are pro-life Democrats in Pa, so I vote for those when I find them. If both candidates are pro-abortion I simply skip that particular race.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1336745744' post='2429762']
please actually read the question. this is not a D or R thing. i have a legitimate question about something that seriously confounds me. all you yahoos want to do is turn it into a dem/rep thing.
[/quote]

I gottcha. It's not a partisan thing. It's just the one party serves the devil and the other is an acceptable option[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1336761623' post='2429844']
No i did not. I specifically mention it WAS NOT an R/D thing. I also stated I am neither.

I singled out the Dems because to me they seem more reprehensible as a party than the GOP. GOP smells of elderberries the big one too as far as I am concerned. But I am strongly pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-family, pro-Catholic and it seems to me that the Dems are anti all of that. That is why I framed my thread in this way.

This ain't an either or. There are many many choices other than GOP if you are not a Dem. Your statement is fallacious and smacks of partisanship. Report to the IAABC thread immediately.
[/quote]

Oh. Ok. So numerous faithful Catholic who are pro-life and do not defend the national democrat party have all read this as a partisan thread but they are all wrong. That beaver dam mass delusion. I wonder why this seems like a partisan thread. I mean you said that you are neither a democrat or a republican. What could give people the impression. Hmmmm..... Curiouser and curiouser....

LaPetiteSoeur

http://www.democratsforlife.org/

There are Democrats who are pro-life, just an FYI.

havok579257

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1336761623' post='2429844']
No i did not. I specifically mention it WAS NOT an R/D thing. I also stated I am neither.

I singled out the Dems because to me they seem more reprehensible as a party than the GOP. GOP smells of elderberries the big one too as far as I am concerned. But I am strongly pro-life, pro-marriage, pro-family, pro-Catholic and it seems to me that the Dems are anti all of that. That is why I framed my thread in this way.

This ain't an either or. There are many many choices other than GOP if you are not a Dem. Your statement is fallacious and smacks of partisanship. Report to the IAABC thread immediately.
[/quote]

trust me, the last party i would vote for in this day and age is the democratic party. they are for abortion, end of story.

i was simply letting you know why you are getting these responses and will continue to get these responses.

havok579257

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1336763942' post='2429857']
We all know that politicians often say one thing and do another. I personally find it hilarious that Catholics will defend a political party that specifically says it is pro-abortion when the alternate party has anti-abortion as part of it's platform.

Makes perfect Catholic sense to say it's more likely to get a political party to do the [b]opposite[/b] of what it says it wants to do instead of getting the opposing party to [b]actually do [/b]what it says it wants to do regarding the Catholic non-negotiables of abortion, same sex marriage, etc. The dead horse debate of the morality of a Catholic voting for an imperfect candidate to justify voting for Obama who is pro-abortion and pro-same sex marriage is also ridiculous since most Catholics voted for Obama and Democrats. I guess it's just natural for the majority of Catholics to prefer being told what's nicer and 'gooder' then reasoning it out for themselves.
[/quote]

im not a democrat, i would NEVER vote for Obama and I will not vote democrat. So why was this directed towards me?

ardillacid

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1336745563' post='2429760']
stop trying to put Jesus in a box, with either a "D" or an "R" on it.
[/quote]That's a cute lil bumper sticker if I've ever seen one ^_^

Norseman82

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1336737907' post='2429733']
So with all that - please please please tell me how in good conscience a faithful, practicing Catholic can be a member of the Democrat Party? (the same argument can likely be said of the Republican Party, but that is another thread for another time)
[/quote]

Two words - "seamless garment". By expanding "pro-life" to encompass other issues, 'seamless garment" has had the impact (even if it was unintentional) of distracting us from abortion. People now excuse themselves from voting for pro-abortion candidates by saying candidate X may be pro-abortion rights and pro-gay marriage, but he is "pro-working people" (meaning against tax and spending cuts), against restrictions on illegal immigration, against capital punishment, against pollution, etc.

thessalonian

"You can "belong" to a party and still not agree with everything they stand for"

Yes, like the Nazi party in Germany in the 1930's. I am sure that will offend some here but I don't see alot of difference. I agree with this statement but 50 million abortions and counting is beyond what this statement can reasonably apply to.

thessalonian

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1336745563' post='2429760']
stop trying to put Jesus in a box, with either a "D" or an "R" on it.
[/quote]

Not being a democrat does not mean you have to be a republican. I am neither though I vote mostly for republicans.

havok579257

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1336856389' post='2430092']
"You can "belong" to a party and still not agree with everything they stand for"

Yes, like the Nazi party in Germany in the 1930's. I am sure that will offend some here but I don't see alot of difference. I agree with this statement but 50 million abortions and counting is beyond what this statement can reasonably apply to.
[/quote]

i am not a democra tbut your statement is ridiculous. i guess the repbulican party is also similar to the nazi party because they push for the death penalty and how many INNOCENT people are executed since its been around in america.

plus your statement does nothing to further the debate. its only going to incite anger.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1336856389' post='2430092']

[/quote]
wat

P.S., even if you're comparing being a pro-life Democrat with being a member of the Nazi party, don't forget that there was a fairly high profile Catholic who was a member of the Nazi youth, obviously proving that to be a member of a party, one must assent to every stance of that party.

Norseman82

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1336868277' post='2430111']
how many INNOCENT people are executed since its been around in america.
[/quote]

Possibly less than have been killed by abortion in a single day.