An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Can A Faithful Catholic Be A Democrat?

Groo the Wanderer

:crazy: <--- This is grok when he opened this thread. See, he's thinking and wants people to think with him.

:hijack: <--- This is what happened to him.

:knight: <--- This is what I wish I could be for this thread, but

:closed: <--- This is the only way I can see this thing getting resolved.

havok579257

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1336872120' post='2430121']
Possibly less than have been killed by abortion in a single day.
[/quote]

absolutly true. although just because of that does that make the republican party the moral party? no, both parties tow anti-life lines. democrats are for abortion, which is a great offense against innocent life. although the republicans are not the moral party who is pro life. don't fool yourself into thinking the republican party is pro-life. they are anti abortion, although they are not pro life.

Lol @ Groo's trollbait. Nice one Groo.

Personally I'm debating whether I should even bother voting for one of the various puppets running around when we could just focus on rebuilding the republic and replacing our current mess with a legitimate governing authority.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1336885980' post='2430167']
Lol @ Groo's trollbait. Nice one Groo.

Personally I'm debating whether I should even bother voting for one of the various puppets running around when we could just focus on rebuilding the republic and replacing our current mess with a legitimate governing authority.
[/quote]
Because as long as you don't vote, [i]they[/i] stay in power.

I think you can certainly be a pro-life Democrat. It's pretty obvious that the platforms are irrelevant and not binding on anyone. Right now I am an independent. At one time I registered as a Democrat, and then later I switched to the Republican party. But on neither occasion did anyone ask me to take an oath to uphold the party platform or even show me a copy. Both parties espouse the "big tent" idea. In short, they want as many members as possible without regard to their views. Unless of course, you are peddling racist stuff, etc. But even then they make no effort to screen anyone up front.

S.

Edited by Skinzo

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1336877995' post='2430141']
who's grok?
[/quote]

Oops... Possible that my finger slipped and missed the second "o." Or maybe my spellcheck took over.

thessalonian

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1336871498' post='2430119']
wat

P.S., even if you're comparing being a pro-life Democrat with being a member of the Nazi party, don't forget that there was a fairly high profile Catholic who was a member of the Nazi youth, obviously proving that to be a member of a party, one must assent to every stance of that party.
[/quote]

A false comparison since he had no choice in the matter. Every 14 year old HAD to be a member of the Hitler youth. Fact. Further he deserted it like a good Catholic should desert the Democratic party. Further there is a big difference between a 14 year old boy and the courage expected of an adult! Nope I stand by my post.

thessalonian

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1336868277' post='2430111']
i am not a democra tbut your statement is ridiculous. i guess the repbulican party is also similar to the nazi party because they push for the death penalty and how many INNOCENT people are executed since its been around in america.

plus your statement does nothing to further the debate. its only going to incite anger.
[/quote]

Gee I guess spades shouldn't have been called spades in Germany in the 1930's. No Catholic should have condemned him or called him on his atrocities as it would not of furthered the conversation. Just act as if the gas chambers weren't killing every day and have a nice civil discussion about them. Abortion is what it is. As for your claims about the death penalty there is room for disagreement on that one in the Church. The Church does recognize the right of governments to keep order. There has been no infallible statement that has come out concerning implementation of the death penalty. I personally am in agreement with JPII that it is not needed in most modern societies but do not quible with Catholics who think it is still needed. You really shouldn't speak for Catholicism if you don't understand it.

Abortion mills are killing every day. MILLIONS!! People are not being executed nearly as often. Further the executions are not of the innocent. It is really apples and oranges.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1336872120' post='2430121']
Possibly less than have been killed by abortion in a single day.
[/quote]

That's interesting. I think that Bentham and MIll will be excited to learn that the Catholic Church has adopted utilitarianism.

havok579257

[quote name='thessalonian' timestamp='1336940421' post='2430253']
Gee I guess spades shouldn't have been called spades in Germany in the 1930's. No Catholic should have condemned him or called him on his atrocities as it would not of furthered the conversation. Just act as if the gas chambers weren't killing every day and have a nice civil discussion about them. Abortion is what it is. As for your claims about the death penalty there is room for disagreement on that one in the Church. The Church does recognize the right of governments to keep order. There has been no infallible statement that has come out concerning implementation of the death penalty. I personally am in agreement with JPII that it is not needed in most modern societies but do not quible with Catholics who think it is still needed. You really shouldn't speak for Catholicism if you don't understand it.

Abortion mills are killing every day. MILLIONS!! People are not being executed nearly as often. Further the executions are not of the innocent. It is really apples and oranges.
[/quote]
your really comparing catholic democrats on THIS site with Hitler? Czause your talking to people online on Phatmass,not the entire world. Do you think anyone on here will actually listen to your arguements or consider your points on here when you compare them to Hitler? You just trying to start something and obviously have no intention of trying to change minds and hearts here on phatmass.

Oh and now personal attacks on my knowledge of catholic faith. Grow up, seriously. Your acting childish. Don't agree with what I say and you figure best route is personal attacks. :frown: :frown:

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1336796332' post='2429985']

im not a democrat, i would NEVER vote for Obama and I will not vote democrat. So why was this directed towards me?
[/quote]Because you cried like a little girl in a knee jerk reaction, questioning why no mean things were said also about them meanie Republicans. Groo was examining the published platform of a specific political prty that states it is For Anortion, For Same Sec Marrige, etc . that is directly and clearly against what Catholic Church has identified as mon-negotiables.

I apologize if you're 16 and haven't hAd the chance to develop maturity to see I didn't intimate you voted for or will vote for Obama.

It seems Groo's question is how can a Catholic identify as being a member of a political party whose express principles include goals that conflict with Catholic non-negotiables.

Some answered there are practical reasons to identify as a member and where willing to discuss the validity of these practical reasons.

Others, whined why is Groo picking on just one party and are getting their panties wadded up. That plays off as being overly defensive, especially considering that of the two major political parties, only one had published clear statements defending abortion.

havok579257

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1336947367' post='2430285']
Because you cried like a little girl in a knee jerk reaction, questioning why no mean things were said also about them meanie Republicans. Groo was examining the published platform of a specific political prty that states it is For Anortion, For Same Sec Marrige, etc . that is directly and clearly against what Catholic Church has identified as mon-negotiables.

I apologize if you're 16 and haven't hAd the chance to develop maturity to see I didn't intimate you voted for or will vote for Obama.

It seems Groo's question is how can a Catholic identify as being a member of a political party whose express principles include goals that conflict with Catholic non-negotiables.

Some answered there are practical reasons to identify as a member and where willing to discuss the validity of these practical reasons.

Others, whined why is Groo picking on just one party and are getting their panties wadded up. That plays off as being overly defensive, especially considering that of the two major political parties, only one had published clear statements defending abortion.
[/quote]

So i'm 16 an immature but personal attacks are mature? You resort to personal attacks and name calling. When people do this it shows theyhave no leg to stand on and can not offer up anything worth while and so there only response is to name call and try personal attacks. I never attacked you and called you names. Cause its something a catholic website should notstand for. Although you are not catholic, so maybe you don't understand how a catholic and a catholic website should act. Love thy neighbor. Not insult them and try personal attacks against them.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1336943495' post='2430270']
Do you think anyone on here will actually listen to your arguements or consider your points on here when you compare them to Hitler?
[/quote]

I thought drawing correlations between the things I disagree with and Hitler/Nazism was kinda the whole purpose of Phatmass?

:huh:

Edited by kujo