An Old School Catholic Message Board

Keurig

vee

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1337372985' post='2432310']
What advantage do Keurigs have over regular coffee machines that would justify the expense if you are not using the cups?
[/quote]Consistently good coffee. My wife is from England, she grew up drinking tea. It's hard to get consistently good coffee trying to make 1 or two cups only. Then you got the fiddlers, the coffe pot, washing all that craap.

We got a $70 Keurig, that makes one cup at a time, the same way, every time. Using K-Cups, you don't have much to clean. Using the insert can be a little annoying. The one I use, you dump in your cup of water, put the cup under the spout, insert the K-cup, and press brew. Exactly the same, every time. Also, K-Cups stay fresh longer. If you buy a pound of coffee, and only make single servings, it can go stale. You can also try different flavors, etc., for the occaisonal treat.

If it was all about cheapest, people would buy only generic jelly and Milwaulkee's Best.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1337372687' post='2432305']
Average ground coffee
$8.99 per pound, the cost of a cup brewed is 25 cents if you assume 42 cups per pound and an average of 15% left over coffee in the pot that is tossed.

Single use K-cups:
Packs of 48 cups for $24 after sales and free shipping or 50 cents per cup

How much will it cost over the course of a year of drinking 2 cups each day?
Answer: $182.50 for bagged ground coffee; $365.00 for K-Cups
[/quote]

Only if you don't buy the adapter to use regular coffee. If you buy the adapter it's the same. :|

Maximilianus

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1337374218' post='2432332']
Consistently good coffee. My wife is from England, she grew up drinking tea. It's hard to get consistently good coffee trying to make 1 or two cups only. Then you got the fiddlers, the coffe pot, washing all that craap.

We got a $70 Keurig, that makes one cup at a time, the same way, every time. Using K-Cups, you don't have much to clean. Using the insert can be a little annoying. The one I use, you dump in your cup of water, put the cup under the spout, insert the K-cup, and press brew. Exactly the same, every time. Also, K-Cups stay fresh longer. If you buy a pound of coffee, and only make single servings, it can go stale. You can also try different flavors, etc., for the occaisonal treat.

If it was all about cheapest, people would buy only generic jelly and Milwaulkee's Best.
[/quote]

Okay, so get one if you are a coffee snob, got it.

(This is where I would insert a smiley to indicate jest, but I'm strying to cut down on smiley use.)

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1337374474' post='2432335']
how much is the adapter? $150??
[/quote]Recently saw it at a Bed Bath and Beyond for $14.

Maximilianus

well vee, get one. If it doesn't work out you can send it to DS.

Edited by Maximilianus

[quote name='Maximilianus' timestamp='1337374451' post='2432334']
Okay, so get one if you are a coffee snob, got it.

(This is where I would insert a smiley to indicate jest, but I'm strying to cut down on smiley use.)
[/quote]Fanshee coffee is one reason, but it's convenient for making just one cup of coffee with consistent quality. Maybe I'm brew-challenged. IDK.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1337374296' post='2432333']
Only if you don't buy the adapter to use regular coffee. If you buy the adapter it's the same. :|
[/quote]
don't sass me, lady!!!!

Thus far Ive concluded that I have to get cmaria's grandma's white cotton sock to strain the coffee into max's grandma's pot and served to me by ds' pet goat. This combined with a bowl of LPS's relatives whiskey oatmeal will cost me around $200 a day or a zillion dollars per fiscal year except leap years when it will be 50 pesos per .34 kg.

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1337374913' post='2432343']
PHATMASS PHAMILY REUNION

REGULAR COFFEE - FREE

KEURIG COFFEE - $5.00
[/quote]

sheesh next youll be charging per square of toilet paper!

dominicansoul
:blink:

If that were the case, I'd need to take out a loan....

oh wait...i'm not going!!! *whew*

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1337375149' post='2432347']
sheesh next youll be charging per square of toilet paper!
[/quote]
per square inch and per ply.

Maximilianus

Illustrating abuela's method. Not my painting

[url="http://www.artelista.com/en/artwork/3747808161922791-miviejacolandocafe.html"]http://www.artelista.com/en/artwork/3747808161922791-miviejacolandocafe.html[/url]