An Old School Catholic Message Board

Oooh, This Is Going To Be A Good Thing!

Lisa

For everyone getting up in arms about the habit comments: come on! :)

For the most part, habit-wearing orders ARE more faithful to the Magisterium. People will say that's not true, but then we can play the numbers game and that will be fun! Of course, on the flip side, there are MANY orders who don't wear a habit and are also completely faithful to Rome. However, I would argue that religious wearing habits inspire more vocations in young people. I know for me, the intensity and passion I gained for my vocation after meeting a School Sister of Notre Dame was dim compared to when I met a Carmelite nun!

I love this movement--too bad I don't have a Facebook to like them :(

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1338073373' post='2435240'][size=4]Maybe the same thing could be done for each vocation! Have a "Couples night" and have a married couple come and talk about the joys and challenges of married life, etc. Single life, priesthood, etc.[/size][/color][/indent]
[/quote]

While I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the sacrament and vocation of marriage , I don't think time and effort needs to be put in to convincing people to get married! They will do plenty of that themselves. Now, if we are talking about evangelizing marriage to the secular world, that would be fantastic! With all the cohabitation occurring, I think young unchurched people do need to be ministered to about marriage.

BarbTherese

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1338099340' post='2435672']

For the most part, habit-wearing orders ARE more faithful to the Magisterium. People will say that's not true, but then we can play the numbers game and that will be fun! Of course, on the flip side, there are MANY orders who don't wear a habit and are also completely faithful to Rome. However, I would argue that religious wearing habits inspire more vocations in young people. I know for me, the intensity and passion I gained for my vocation after meeting a School Sister of Notre Dame was dim compared to when I met a Carmelite nun!

[/quote]

Your personal experience and entirely valid as your personal experience. Others may have different personal experiences.

A vocation to religious life is a call from God and a response to God of selfless giving of one's entire life to Him.............was it the habit of the Carmelite nun that motivated you, or was it the person wearing the Carmelite habit? Not unusual for a candidate for religious life and accepted into postulancy to have romantic notions about religious life and related matters, which gradually give way as the postulant lives the actual life. Such a disillusioned candidate in the early stages of religious life may well persevere despite loss of illusions and persevere to final vows or she may decide to leave. The Lord disperses His Graces as He May.

As to the 'numbers game' obviously and quite apparent (due to the numbers) it is God's Will/Divine Providence at this point in time that habited religious outweigh those in secular clothing in numbers of religious - as simple as that. And I am not suggesting nor even remotely hinting that His Will may change. Who can know The Mind of God and scrutinize His Ways.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

maximillion

Where is the Imagine Sister programme for the UK? We want one! (Well, I do).

Praying for the success of this programme, which sounds avvsome.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1338105699' post='2435696']
Where is the Imagine Sister programme for the UK? We want one! (Well, I do).

Praying for the success of this programme, which sounds avvsome.
[/quote]

I agree. One of the reasons I didn't discern earlier was that I felt called to religious life but didn't realise it was still an option.

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1338101405' post='2435682']
While I really appreciate your enthusiasm for the sacrament and vocation of marriage , I don't think time and effort needs to be put in to convincing people to get married! They will do plenty of that themselves. Now, if we are talking about evangelizing marriage to the secular world, that would be fantastic! With all the cohabitation occurring, I think young unchurched people do need to be ministered to about marriage.
[/quote]

Sorry to bring this further off topic. We have 3 conversations going on in this thread! Can't find the exact stat right now, but sadly the majority of Catholic couples co-habitate before (or in avoidance of) marriage.

[b]Edited: [/b] I found numbers ranging from 50-80% of Catholic couples. I guess I wasn't quite thinking of it as a "convincing people to get married" but more to get married [b]and [/b]live as the Church teaches.

Edited by Lisa

[/quote]

That is exactly my point. I am not judging those who don't wear the habit. Merely making the observations that I have experienced in my own life. I simply pointed that out because it is becoming more common place in universities for not only religious sisters, but priests as well to wear more secular clothing...which I personally do not like. Doesn't make them any less holy or good and I never implied that. I simply suggested that some of the more progressive nuns (those who go against the Church) tend to be ones not wearing the habit. The habit does not make the person. I simply made an observation.

But to the content of this post let me AGAIN say...these women seem solid. amesome stuff.

Sister Marie

[/quote]

I also love this movement however I would like to address the numbers game really quickly. The purpose of religious life has NEVER been and hopefully NEVER will be to get vocations. The purpose of a vocation to religious life is to get yourself to Heaven and through your work to bring as many others with you as you can. This might mean you inspire others to follow your way of life and it might mean that through your prayer and good works you save a lot of souls. The only study you could do to see if a community was really great was to take a poll on how many people got to Heaven because of them - I don't think anyone is eager to do that study! :)

This idea that the more vocations you have the better you are is really misplaced because it isn't the point of religious life at all. As a young sister, I've had to look at this more and more because I love working for vocations but it isn't my only work and while that used to be a huge inspiration to me to see young women discerning and young religious living the life - my inspiration now comes more from working with the poor and uneducated in my apostolate and learning from the older and very holy sisters with whom I live.

One of the things sister pointed out in the video was the diversity present at the gathering. There is room for everyone in our Church regardless of how they are dressed and we should be eager to embrace this authentic diversity so that we can learn and grow from all.

I'm glad that habits inspire and that those sisters are good holy examples to you! Nothing wrong with that at all!

Are you (not you emma, you in general :) ) truly taking their loving example to heart though if you have to put others down in the process of saying what good they have done for you?

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1338119593' post='2435719']
One of the things sister pointed out in the video was the diversity present at the gathering. There is room for everyone in our Church regardless of how they are dressed and we should be eager to embrace this authentic diversity so that we can learn and grow from all.

I'm glad that habits inspire and that those sisters are good holy examples to you! Nothing wrong with that at all!

Are you (not you emma, you in general :) ) truly taking their loving example to heart though if you have to put others down in the process of saying what good they have done for you?
[/quote]

Thats actually a really great point-im sorry if it sounded like i was putting siste in secular clothing down. I am sure that a woman called to be a School Sister would feel more impassioned at meeting a Notre Dame Sister wearing normal clothes than she would when meeting a habited nun.

On the note of the numbers game, i didnt mean how many members an order had, but i can see where my wording may have left room for that reading! i meant if we compared the number of communities faithful to Rome and those that are not, i think we would find that thise communities that are habited are generally more faithful. BUT, as so many pointed out, playing those number games isnt really uplifting to sisters wearing secular clothing who ARE faithful. Sorry if i stepped on any toes!

[quote name='Odin' timestamp='1338068358' post='2435219']
Now these are REAL religious. So great to see orders that still use the habit. Solid stuff.
[/quote]

It's cloth. Cloth can't make anyone holy.

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1338154084' post='2435899']
It's cloth. Cloth can't make anyone holy.
[/quote]

Please see other posts I have made. AGAIN I say the clothes do not make the person. BUT in my experience those wearing the habit usually are a part of an order that follows Church teaching. The whole point of the progressive movement away from the Church consists of shedding away "old" or "outdated" customs (which for many nuns who are progressives include not wearing the habit.) There are MANY who do not wear the habit who are still devout members of the Church.

Let me put it more pointedly. In COLLEGE and in THEOLOGICAL studies there are MANY nuns who DO NOT wear the habit AND do NOT follow the teachings of the Church (they preach a very separate message.....Fordham University.....the college I went to is a prime example). It is within this academic progressive religious society that I point my criticism.

For the last time....I KNOW the habit does not make the person...I am merely making observations and connections that I believe are worth looking at.

Anybody reading this post....please do not misinterpret what I have said....I really do not like repeating myself. Thanks!!! God bless!

Lil'Monster

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1338055359' post='2435164']
[url="http://imaginesisters.org/comingsoon/"]http://imaginesisters.org/comingsoon/[/url]
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x6sge19dMVw&noredirect=1[/media]
[/quote]

I heard about it at the Retreat!! :)