An Old School Catholic Message Board

Im New Here

srmariam

As suggested on another topic, I am introducing myself. Im a (young) 59yr old who entered Carmel way back in 1979 and have spent the last 32yrs there, in 3 Carmels in all - one amalgamated, then a few years later I realised the amalgamated monastery was not for me. I am currently exclaustrated while I nurse my very elderly mother (I lost my father some years ago, and only weeks later my only brother was killed in a road accident, so I had little option but to come out and care for my mother). I have been out for 3 months so far, my exclaustration is for a year initially but at present I suspect I may go back in sooner as my mother seems to be failing. I miss my community very much but am treasuring my time with my mother. Im also very new to the internet so please forgive any mistakes.

organwerke

well I am sure there will be a lot of girls who will be very happy to ask you lots of questions about Carmel!
It's a blessing to have you here (you're not the only Carmelite btw).
Prayers for your mother.

Welcome! :welcome:

Sounds like you have been through a lot. Holding you and all your sisters (and your mom!) in prayer.

AccountDeleted

I've been in a few myself. what country are you in?

One of the nuns at a Carmel in Australia where I was, left for 20 years to nurse her elderly mother and then was accepted back after her mother died. So these things do happen!

I also knew another sister in the UK who was exclaustrated for 3 years but I don't think she stayed out the whole three. She ended up going back as well.

I also knew another sister here in the US who was exclaustrated to care for her elderly mother but I don't know how long she was out or if she went back - I lost touch with her.

Anyway, prayers for you and your mother, and welcome to the phatmass phamily.

Mary's Margaret

Welcome, Sr. Miriam. Prayers for you and your mother. Your community must be missing you, so prayer for them as well.