An Old School Catholic Message Board

Im New Here

srmariam

Welcome! :)

While I am sure you treasure the time with your mother, it must be very hard to leave the cloister for an extended period of time. Regardless, I am so glad you are on phatmass while you are out nursing your mother!

Do you wear the habit when you are exclaustrated?

God Bless!

Tally Marx

Welcome to Phatmass, Sister!
It is always wonderful to have a religious join us here.
I will be praying for you and your mother.

Chiquitunga

Praised be Jesus Christ! It's great to have you here. Thanks for taking the time to post. Please keep us in your prayers! :pray: I love your name in religion. Are you named after Blessed Miriam of Jesus Crucified, the "Little Arab"? God bless!

Oh so many kind comments, and questions too! Let me give a little more information...

I am English and currently living with my mother in East London (right by where the Olympics will be soon!) but my Carmel is in France. This is actually the main reason I decided I had to apply for exclaustration as it wasnt really right to have to travel back here so frequently to care for my mother - had she been local I could probably have managed to see her once a week instead, possibly with her in residential care.

Yes, I took the name of the 'Little Arab'. Initially as Maria, but I changed to Mariam when I transferred Carmels in 1999, to mark my new start. I love her very much, especially admiring her decision to return to being a white veil after being made a choir nun. I have always felt I was born too late and should have actually been a white veil!

Until my exclaustration I had been novice mistress in my community for 7years and had the joy of seeing my first novice who I had seen through right from entry make her Solemn Profession in January. I am so proud of her, and all my 'children' - those who are continuing in Carmel and those who have discerned that God is calling them to other states of life.

A refuah shelayma [a complete recovery] to your mother. As I have offered in the past to several others, if you would give me your mother's first name, and the first name of HER mother, I would be happy to put a prayer request for her into a crack of the Western Wall, here in Jerusalem where I live. It's our way [or one of them, at least]

What a beautiful thing to offer, Antigonos! I would prop you if I could prop you!

Glad to have you among us, Sr. Mariam, for as long as God wills. Prayers for you, your mother, and for the Sisters in your community.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1339007645' post='2441839']
A refuah shelayma [a complete recovery] to your mother. As I have offered in the past to several others, if you would give me your mother's first name, and the first name of HER mother, I would be happy to put a prayer request for her into a crack of the Western Wall, here in Jerusalem where I live. It's our way [or one of them, at least]
[/quote]

That is very kind, but a peaceful end would be a kinder prayer - my mother is 94 so to pray for recovery is not realistic. She is called Catherine, my grandmother was Emily. Thank you.

AccountDeleted

Sr Mariam - I will be in England for five months from this weekend, so if you ever want to get together for a cuppa, that would be lovely. Maybe you could also help me to practice my French, as I am planning to make a trip there again as soon as I can. I spent one day in Paris several years ago (it was ust to renew my visa back to the UK) and have always wanted to go back. I am also hoping to go to Rome to see the Bernini statue of St Teresa in Ecstasy sometime before I return to the States. Carmel is still very much a big part of my heart so I would love to meet you and share our love of all things Carmel. I am currently discerning again and have just spent nearly three months with some Benedictines, so don't know what God has planned for me next. I know I will be making parlor visits to two of my old Carmels as they have been kind enough to invite me and my friend to visit. Apart from that, we will travel and explore and let the Spirit guide us.

Feel free to contact me privately if you want to meet up anytime over the next five months. :) I have many Carmelite friends around the world.

Nunsense (I love that name) I may well get in touch.

Someone asked about the habit. When I came over I had intended wearing my habit all the time, but its not proving practical as mother needs the house very warm and I have been overheating. So I wear it for Mass and other times I go out, but have bought a couple of dresses with headscarves for at home.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='srmariam' timestamp='1339012840' post='2441876']
Nunsense (I love that name) I may well get in touch.

Someone asked about the habit. When I came over I had intended wearing my habit all the time, but its not proving practical as mother needs the house very warm and I have been overheating. So I wear it for Mass and other times I go out, but have bought a couple of dresses with headscarves for at home.
[/quote]

One of the sisters from Carmel in the UK I knew who was exclaustrated only wore her habit when she came back to the community for special occasions, but when she was out, she wore regular clothes and a head scarf. It was hard for her at first, but she got used to it. She just wasn't used to thinking about her appearance any more! I know that I miss wearing a veil a lot! :P I hate the whole hair thing every day, especially since my hair does whatever it wants whenever it wants no matter what I do to it! :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1339013054' post='2441877']
One of the sisters from Carmel in the UK I knew who was exclaustrated only wore her habit when she came back to the community for special occasions, but when she was out, she wore regular clothes and a head scarf. It was hard for her at first, but she got used to it. She just wasn't used to thinking about her appearance any more! I know that I miss wearing a veil a lot! :P I hate the whole hair thing every day, especially since my hair does whatever it wants whenever it wants no matter what I do to it! :)
[/quote]

:hehe2:

That's the nice thing about a veil -- less concern about how your going to do your hair. I always have to flat iron mine because it gets really wavy and frizzy. The Sisters I am discerning with wear a cap and a veil pinned to it -- kind of like the SSVM, though loose and not tucked behind the ears and around the nape of the neck -- so I imagine their hair gets cut quite short. I know they don't shave it like the SSVM do because I saw wisps of hair peaking out of one of the Sister's caps. At least I won't have to worry about bangs either because the whole head is covered. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae