Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

PhuturePriest
Posted

Once again you have proven there is a method to your madness. I was thinking about our conversation awhile back and how you thought I should go "out into the wild" for a bit before deciding to enter Religious life. All my life I have been obsessed with the Marines and I was watching a documentary on them today. I was thinking maybe four years of being yelled at makes for a good and disciplined Priest (Something we need these days). Plus, it just appeals to me so much. Good going, now my mother is going to shoot me just for thinking about it again...

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339540482' post='2444072']
Once again you have proven there is a method to your madness. I was thinking about our conversation awhile back and how you thought I should go "out into the wild" for a bit before deciding to enter Religious life. All my life I have been obsessed with the Marines and I was watching a documentary on them today. I was thinking maybe four years of being yelled at makes for a good and disciplined Priest (Something we need these days). Plus, it just appeals to me so much. Good going, now my mother is going to shoot me just for thinking about it again...
[/quote]

I think joining any branch of the armed services should be something arrived at with more than the viewing of a single documentary, and definitely not done because some jerk on a message board said you should. But I will certainly not dissuade you, should that be a path you feel called towards. The general point I was making was that you are a few inches and pounds removed from being an embryo in your mama's womb, and your life experience can be summed up with one word: NONE. Sure, you can name a few young saints or whatever who were "called" to vocational life at a young age, but they're the exception rather than the rule. And let's face it--you ain't no saint! Not yet, at least. I think it would do you well to roll around in the mud a bit before you put on the collar. Should that include enlisting, God bless ya! The thought of bullets whizzing by your ears brings a smile to my face, I must confess :)

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339541585' post='2444077']
I think joining any branch of the armed services should be something arrived at with more than the viewing of a single documentary, and definitely not done because some jerk on a message board said you should. But I will certainly not dissuade you, should that be a path you feel called towards. The general point I was making was that you are a few inches and pounds removed from being an embryo in your mama's womb, and your life experience can be summed up with one word: NONE. Sure, you can name a few young saints or whatever who were "called" to vocational life at a young age, but they're the exception rather than the rule. And let's face it--you ain't no saint! Not yet, at least. I think it would do you well to roll around in the mud a bit before you put on the collar. Should that include enlisting, God bless ya! The thought of bullets whizzing by your ears brings a smile to my face, I must confess :)
[/quote]
Once again, I'd prop this if I could.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339541585' post='2444077']
I think joining any branch of the armed services should be something arrived at with more than the viewing of a single documentary, and definitely not done because some jerk on a message board said you should. But I will certainly not dissuade you, should that be a path you feel called towards. The general point I was making was that you are a few inches and pounds removed from being an embryo in your mama's womb, and your life experience can be summed up with one word: NONE. Sure, you can name a few young saints or whatever who were "called" to vocational life at a young age, but they're the exception rather than the rule. And let's face it--you ain't no saint! Not yet, at least. I think it would do you well to roll around in the mud a bit before you put on the collar. Should that include enlisting, God bless ya! The thought of bullets whizzing by your ears brings a smile to my face, I must confess :)
[/quote]

Nothing is official. I have a few years to think about it. It's just something I've taken a huge interest in again. It's a good thing, and though it pains me to say it, I [i]suppose [/i]you sometimes have good advice.

I believe I am close to being a Saint, thank you. :saint2:

Now, now, face it, Kujo: If I died a huge hole would be in your soul. You would weep for weeks, I know it.

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

As for rolling around in the mud, that is completely possible. The Marines do a lot of that in basic training. I don't know, something about making you crawl through mud puts a smile on their faces.

Besides, the point of this is to say not that I'm going to be a Marine, but that I am thinking about other options, as you suggest. Just be happy for once, dang it.

Edited by FuturePriest387
eagle_eye222001
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339541585' post='2444077']
I think joining any branch of the armed services should be something arrived at with more than the viewing of a single documentary, and definitely not done because some jerk on a message board said you should. But I will certainly not dissuade you, should that be a path you feel called towards. The general point I was making was that you are a few inches and pounds removed from being an embryo in your mama's womb, and your life experience can be summed up with one word: NONE. Sure, you can name a few young saints or whatever who were "called" to vocational life at a young age, but they're the exception rather than the rule. And let's face it--you ain't no saint! Not yet, at least. I think it would do you well to roll around in the mud a bit before you put on the collar. Should that include enlisting, God bless ya! The thought of bullets whizzing by your ears brings a smile to my face, I must confess :)
[/quote]

Good advice.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339541957' post='2444083']
Nothing is official. I have a few years to think about it. It's just something I've taken a huge interest in again. It's a good thing, and though it pains me to say it, I [i]suppose [/i]you sometimes have good advice.

I believe I am close to being a Saint, thank you. :saint2:

Now, now, face it, Kujo: If I died a huge hole would be in your soul. You would weep for weeks, I know it.
[/quote]

Go climb a tree and befriend a lesbian or a muslim.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339543411' post='2444095']
Go climb a tree and befriend a lesbian or a muslim.
[/quote]

I'm friends with a gay guy if that counts.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339543662' post='2444096']
I'm friends with a gay guy if that counts.
[/quote]

Nope. Vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her left breast.

Edited by kujo
PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339543897' post='2444097']
Nope. Vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her left breast.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you understand the implications of this, but I'm from Kansas. It would be difficult enough to even find an openly lesbian woman, let alone a vegan of either sex or sexual orientation. I can honestly say I have never met a vegetarian or vegan in my life.

Edited by FuturePriest387
Mark of the Cross
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339543662' post='2444096']
I'm friends with a gay guy if that counts.
[/quote]
I should hope so! And make a Muslim your friend too, then you will really be Christian. As for life in the marines compared to the priesthood, well I've not been in the priesthood, but I imagine that the two vocations are like chalk and coagulated milk. I visualise that it would be a rare person who was suited to both. The stresses of both would be enormous. In the marines it's not just crawling in the mud, it's associating and living with some very challenging people. I used to feel nauseated at Viet vets Bragging about what a good feeling it was to kill someone. And joking about tricks on peasants, like setting fire to a cyclists load of wood. Maybe God has a plan for you and God go with you, but be prepared for some very challenging times. Do your research thoroughly for both vocations to find out which one suits best.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1339544528' post='2444103']
I should hope so! And make a Muslim your friend too, then you will really be Christian. As for life in the marines compared to the priesthood, well I've not been in the priesthood, but I imagine that the two vocations are like chalk and coagulated milk. I visualise that it would be a rare person who was suited to both. The stresses of both would be enormous. In the marines it's not just crawling in the mud, it's associating and living with some very challenging people. I used to feel nauseated at Viet vets Bragging about what a good feeling it was to kill someone. And joking about tricks on peasants, like setting fire to a cyclists load of wood. Maybe God has a plan for you and God go with you, but be prepared for some very challenging times. Do your research thoroughly for both vocations to find out which one suits best.
[/quote]

Well, the thinking is to do both, so I could be a Marine for four years and then become a Priest, or maybe even become a military chaplain. There's actually quite a few soldiers that become Priests, from what I have seen. I have met a few veterans and I have never met one that was proud of killing people. In fact, none of them ever wanted to speak about it. I have never actually heard a war story from a veteran since they don't like to talk about it much. My great grandfather was a Marine in WWII. He fought in Pearl Harbor, and according to my dad he almost never talked about any of it, and when he did it was with many reservations and he didn't act like he enjoyed thinking about it.

Mark of the Cross
Posted

Well I suppose that's true! Most that have seen the real horror stuff have PSD and won't talk about it. And the vocal ones are the ones who haven't really seen as much as they make out. But I did have one vet at bootcamp that told us what a good feeling it was to see men fall in front of this weapon (SMG). I suppose if those men had weapons too it would be a legit feeling.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339541957' post='2444083']


I believe I am close to being a Saint, thank you. :saint2:


[/quote]

What is "something never said by a canonized saint ever?"


And I'm 90% sure you were being funny

Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339543897' post='2444097']
Nope. Vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her [b]left[/b] breast.
[/quote]


Gah!! I was SO close.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted (edited)

you could do a week long hard core adventure course once a season for 4 years, that would be close.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339540482' post='2444072']
Once again you have proven there is a method to your madness. I was thinking about our conversation awhile back and how you thought I should go "out into the wild" for a bit before deciding to enter Religious life. All my life I have been obsessed with the Marines and I was watching a documentary on them today. I was thinking maybe four years of being yelled at makes for a good and disciplined Priest (Something we need these days). Plus, it just appeals to me so much. Good going, now my mother is going to shoot me just for thinking about it again...
[/quote]

you could do a week long hard core adventure course once a season for 4 years, that would be close.

Posted

[quote name='jaime' timestamp='1339562965' post='2444201']
What is "something never said by a canonized saint ever?"
[/quote]

But jamie...you should [i]never[/i] be ashamed of your youth, because God calls young people to do things [i]all the time...[/i]

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1339571119' post='2444225']
Gah!! I was SO close.
[/quote]

You'd never have made it anyway--you're more of a Maoist anyway...

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339543897' post='2444097']
Nope. Vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her left breast.
[/quote]
YOU KNOW GINA?!

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339544075' post='2444099']
I'm not sure if you understand the implications of this, but I'm from Kansas. [b]It would be difficult enough to even find an openly lesbian woman[/b], let alone a vegan of either sex or sexual orientation. I can honestly say I have never met a vegetarian or vegan in my life.
[/quote]
Are you serious right now?

Re: the bolded part -- I know more than one openly gay woman who lives in Kansas, and I'm guessing they aren't the only ones there. In fact, I'm sure of it. I think your assumption probably has a lot to do with age and environment.

Re: vegan / vegetarian -- Again, probably age and/or environment. I don't know if you live in rural or urban Kansas, but I'd be you there are at least 50 vegetarian or vegan options in your state. Ask your parents if they know any vegetarians; I bet you'll be surprised. If you aren't, well that's just weird.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1339571119' post='2444225']
Gah!! I was SO close.
[/quote]
:hehe:

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339540482' post='2444072']
Once again you have proven there is a method to your madness. I was thinking about our conversation awhile back and how you thought I should go "out into the wild" for a bit before deciding to enter Religious life. All my life I have been obsessed with the Marines and I was watching a documentary on them today. I was thinking maybe four years of being yelled at makes for a good and disciplined Priest (Something we need these days). Plus, it just appeals to me so much. Good going, now my mother is going to shoot me just for thinking about it again...
[/quote]

sounds like a good idea...and then use the money you make during your tour to help fund your seminary work or donate it to a needy cause.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...