franciscanheart Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339689157' post='2444637'] It's urban in our standards. There are many small towns here with only a few hundred people, and sometimes only a handful of people. One million people is not small, that is gigantic. I think big-city people can lose a sense of what is big and what isn't. Here's the question I run through my mind: If it were an army, would it be huge? Eight hundred people is more a pitchfork and torch kind of thing, while one million people would be a huge army. The United States only has two million people in its military, almost one million of them being reservists. If you want to get a sense of my town just message me. You can find bazzilions of pictures of it since we were hit by the tornado and everything. Oh, and if you want to laugh at me further, my town is one mile wide and one mile long. However, we have a huge Kwik Shop that has its own store in it, so take that. [/quote] I think being from a small town, anything bigger than a couple thousand must seem huge. And yet, my city isn't huge. It's large, yes, but not huge. [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339690916' post='2444640'] So FP is a homeschooled 14 year old who shops at a Kwik Mart and lives in a miniscule town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. I've been told that I have an active imagination. But seldom have I been accused of being clairvoyant. However, with these recent revelations about the life of my favorite little putz on Phatmass, the evidence is clear--I am a psychic. You are EXACTLY what I thought you were. [/quote]
qfnol31 Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339690916' post='2444640'] So FP is a homeschooled 14 year old who shops at a Kwik Mart and lives in a miniscule town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. I've been told that I have an active imagination. But seldom have I been accused of being clairvoyant. However, with these recent revelations about the life of my favorite little putz on Phatmass, the evidence is clear--I am a psychic. You are EXACTLY what I thought you were. [/quote]This reminds me of Dennis Green's rant. "They are who we thought they were!"
PhuturePriest Posted June 14, 2012 Author Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339690916' post='2444640'] So FP is a homeschooled 14 year old who shops at a Kwik Mart and lives in a miniscule town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. I've been told that I have an active imagination. But seldom have I been accused of being clairvoyant. However, with these recent revelations about the life of my favorite little putz on Phatmass, the evidence is clear--I am a psychic. You are EXACTLY what I thought you were. [/quote] Fifteen, my dear Watson, fifteen. Nearly sixteen, actually. You never know. Soon I might be FP the home schooled eighteen year old who shops at Kwik Shop that lives in a miniscule town in Kansas and is a flippin' amesome Marine that can kill you with my pinky. I am sure you are thinking that I am dreamy, masculine, nice, hilarious, and even a source of knowledge and experience.
franciscanheart Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Oh, and FP, what in the world is a Kwik Shop and what do you mean it has it's own store in it? Isn't Kwik Shop a store? I'm so confused. Also: 800 people live in one square mile? Dang.
franciscanheart Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I just checked a census report on my city and NYC. Average number of persons per square mile, my city: just over 2.7K. Average number of persons per square mile, NYC: just over 27K. [b]NOTE THE DECIMAL.[/b]
Lil Red Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339692169' post='2444651'] I just checked a census report on my city and NYC. Average number of persons per square mile, my city: just over 2.7K. Average number of persons per square mile, NYC: just over 27K. [b]NOTE THE DECIMAL.[/b] [/quote] i would hate that. either of them.
Lil Red Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 (edited) [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339692169' post='2444651'] I just checked a census report on my city and NYC. Average number of persons per square mile, my city: just over 2.7K. Average number of persons per square mile, NYC: just over 27K. [b]NOTE THE DECIMAL.[/b] [/quote] (having to use 2010 data) in the county i live in (the most populous in my state), the number of people per square mile is 56.2 averaged for the whole state, persons per square mile is 6.8 (again using 2010 data). in some counties, the average number of people per square mile is outnumbered by the average number of deer per square mile. Edited June 14, 2012 by Lil Red
franciscanheart Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1339694181' post='2444656'] i would hate that. either of them. [/quote] I don't understand. [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1339694417' post='2444659'] (having to use 2010 data) in the county i live in (the most populous in my state), the number of people per square mile is 56.2 averaged for the whole state, persons per square mile is 6.8 (again using 2010 data). in some counties, the average number of people per square mile is outnumbered by the average number of deer per square mile. [/quote] That is IN.SANE. I could not handle living in such a sparsely populated space, I don't think. Re: average persons per square mile across the state -- That will always be dramatically lower in states like ours! My state's average was 96.3 (using the same census data). We have several "big cities" here, so I know that helps make up for our smaller towns.
fides' Jack Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Where I live, the population is over 400K, but the pop per mile is a little over 2K. I like this size. There are more people than you would guess, though, because it's spread out. Still, not too big, not too small. Nearby is the town of Bust. For the longest time, it had a population of 1. He got married, so that increased to 2. (I don't think it's an official town - but the sign on the side of the highway will make you think it is). [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339541585' post='2444077'] I think joining any branch of the armed services should be something arrived at with more than the viewing of a single documentary, and definitely not done because [b]some jerk[/b] on a message board said you should... [/quote] Aww... You're not just [i]some jerk[/i], you're [i]THE jerk[/i]! [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339543897' post='2444097'] Nope. Vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her left breast. [/quote] So, a woman from the east coast? [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339544075' post='2444099'] I'm not sure if you understand the implications of this, but I'm from Kansas. It would be difficult enough to even find an openly lesbian woman, let alone a vegan of either sex or sexual orientation. I can honestly say I have never met a vegetarian or vegan in my life. [/quote] You've never met a woman from the east coast? [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339596343' post='2444261'] You'd never have made it anyway--you're more of a Maoist anyway... [/quote] Oh - I [i]love[/i] mao! So tasty on my sammiches! [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339655539' post='2444539'] It's certainly not the concrete jungle. There are spacious plans as far as the eye can see, and despite popular belief, there are some unbelievably hilly areas around here. It's hard to find a flat spot, though trees are definitely not something you find often. [/quote] Ah - must be South or East Kansas, then. [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339690916' post='2444640'] So FP is a homeschooled 14 year old who shops at a Kwik Mart and lives in a miniscule town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. [/quote] No, not the middle. South or East.
Vincent Vega Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I'll play! Home (can't find one for the unincorporated area I'm from, so I'm using the closest incorporated community): just about 1,000/mi[sup]2[/sup] School: just about 2000/mi2 The principal city of the MSA at home: 1061/mi[sup]2[/sup] (but to be fair, it is the largest city by area in the lower 48, so it's a fairly large amount of people spread over a huge amount of land).
Lil Red Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339696040' post='2444664']Re: average persons per square mile across the state -- That will always be dramatically lower in states like ours! My state's average was 96.3 (using the same census data). We have several "big cities" here, so I know that helps make up for our smaller towns.[/quote] well, i think my state finally passed 1 million people - and the county i live in accounts for over 10% of the population (i think).
Lil Red Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339696040' post='2444664']That is IN.SANE. I could not handle living in such a sparsely populated space, I don't think.[/quote] i love it. i'm not a fan of big cities...i tend to feel crowded and claustrophobic.
qfnol31 Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 I live in an unincorporated area and our population density is about 7000/square mile.
PhuturePriest Posted June 14, 2012 Author Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1339696422' post='2444665'] Where I live, the population is over 400K, but the pop per mile is a little over 2K. I like this size. There are more people than you would guess, though, because it's spread out. Still, not too big, not too small. Nearby is the town of Bust. For the longest time, it had a population of 1. He got married, so that increased to 2. (I don't think it's an official town - but the sign on the side of the highway will make you think it is). Aww... You're not just [i]some jerk[/i], you're [i]THE jerk[/i]! So, a woman from the east coast? You've never met a woman from the east coast? Oh - I [i]love[/i] mao! So tasty on my sammiches! Ah - must be South or East Kansas, then. No, not the middle. South or East. [/quote] East Kansas? Ew. I'm from Southwestern Kansas, otherwise known as real Kansas. Eastern Kansas is more urban and is much more populated. All of Kansas is without trees, whether you're on the eastern or western side.
PhuturePriest Posted June 14, 2012 Author Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1339696763' post='2444669'] i love it. i'm not a fan of big cities...i tend to feel crowded and claustrophobic. [/quote] Exactly. There are some things that aren't so nice, like how everyone here knows everyone else's business, and everyone is really nosy, but at least we know who everyone is and we know who to avoid. All of this compared to some place like New York which has millions of people that you do not know nor can you trust. I honestly like being able to lay down in the middle of the street without worry of being run over since there's such little traffic, and I like the fact I can walk around after dark without having to carry a concealed weapon. I especially like the fact everyone here has guns. It's like the NRA motherland around here.
Anomaly Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1339571119' post='2444225'] Gah!! I was SO close. [/quote]What? You eat coagulated milk?
Slappo Posted June 14, 2012 Posted June 14, 2012 Population per square mile in my city is 11.3 ... My state is density of 1.26 per square mile... I win!
PhuturePriest Posted June 14, 2012 Author Posted June 14, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339699302' post='2444696'] Really? No one enjoyed my Amory slam? Le sad... [/quote] You're getting too drunk on likes. We need to ween you off it a little bit so you don't get a big head -- or a bigger one, anyway.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now