Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339699302' post='2444696']
Really? No one enjoyed my Amory slam? :( Le sad...
[/quote]Overall, the third best post in the last 10 days.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1339699768' post='2444698']
Overall, the third best post in the last 10 days.
[/quote]

Shush! You're ruining it!

Vincent Vega
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339699302' post='2444696']
Really? No one enjoyed my Amory slam? :( Le sad...
[/quote]
Meh. You've done better work.

franciscanheart
Posted

To be fair, I did give you only my county, not the entire metro area. We account for maybe 1/3 of the metro area, though we are definitely the most densely populated.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1339696763' post='2444669']
i love it. i'm not a fan of big cities...i tend to feel crowded and claustrophobic.
[/quote]
I've had some not-so-amesome experiences in NYC, but I could thrive there I think. I'd love to settle someplace between where I am now and that.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339698193' post='2444688']
Exactly. There are some things that aren't so nice, like how everyone here knows everyone else's business, and everyone is really nosy, but at least we know who everyone is and we know who to avoid. All of this compared to some place like New York which has millions of people that you do not know nor can you trust. I honestly like being able to lay down in the middle of the street without worry of being run over since there's such little traffic, and I like the fact I can walk around after dark without having to carry a concealed weapon. I especially like the fact everyone here has guns. It's like the NRA motherland around here.
[/quote]
Who lies down in the road? Don't you have things to do?

I walk around "in the dark" (which isn't very dark at all in the city) without a concealed weapon all the time. I walked the streets of NYC after "dark" without a concealed weapon WHILE carrying a backpack with all my belongings (that I brought on that trip). I was fine.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1339698894' post='2444694']
Population per square mile in my city is 11.3 :|... My state is density of 1.26 per square mile...

I win!
[/quote]
Where do you LIVE?

I would not brag about being in such a crappy place that no one wants to live there. (God, all of your creation is beautiful and wonderful. Thank you for those who will endure the harsher lands, even when they could live someplace "nicer". They, though strange to me, are your people; help me to love them more. Amen.)

Vincent Vega
Posted

NYC is a very safe place. Or, Manhattan at least. I'm sure there are sketchy parts but I've never felt as though I was in danger any of the times I've been in NYC.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339655539' post='2444539']
And I'm not actually angry or anything, I just woke up at five in the morning and worked all day in the heat, so[u][b] my normal zingers [/b][/u]are about as common as finding someone in my area of the state that isn't white (For the record, there is only one black person in my town and a few Mexicans, so that puts my zingers at nearly 0%.).
[/quote]

Wait... you have those?

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1339696763' post='2444669']
i love it. i'm not a fan of big cities...i tend to feel crowded and claustrophobic.
[/quote]

I hate driving in them. It makes me Hulk out.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339698013' post='2444687']
East Kansas? Ew. I'm from Southwestern Kansas, otherwise known as real Kansas. Eastern Kansas is more urban and is much more populated. All of Kansas is without trees, whether you're on the eastern or western side.
[/quote]

Not a single tree in all of Kansas? That smells of elderberries. Never going there! :P

franciscanheart
Posted

That is something I miss in my neighborhood now: big, beautiful trees. We are a concrete-and-lagerstroemia kind of neighborhood. :ohno:

Posted (edited)

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339701046' post='2444704']
Where do you LIVE?

I would not brag about being in such a crappy place that no one wants to live there. (God, all of your creation is beautiful and wonderful. Thank you for those who will endure the harsher lands, even when they could live someplace "nicer". They, though strange to me, are your people; help me to love them more. Amen.)
[/quote]

I live in Juneau, Alaska. Before you get all "WHOA YOU GUYS FREEZE TO DEATH!". The climate varies from about 15 degrees F to 85 degrees F. 15 is really cold for us and 85 is pretty hot for us.

People don't like living here because it's so far away from most of their families and can be expensive to travel to/from. But... millions of tourists come every year and rich famous people come vacation here. I got to look upon the co-owner of Microsoft's Super Yacht "Octopus" for a week one summer from my cubicle at work. Pretty dang sweet.

[img]http://photos.igougo.com/images/p28450-Juneau-Mendenhall_Glacier.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/images/glacfalls.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/media/12/mt-roberts-tramway_1013.jpg[/img]

I'd post better pictures but they are copywrite protected. Google "Mendenhall Glacier"

Edited by Slappo
Vincent Vega
Posted

That is substantially warmer than where my Alaskan relatives live. They live several hours north of Fairbanks, and my aunt posted to facebook in February that she was relieved that it finally hit 30 or 40 below so that she could go outside.

[img]http://www.camelotdestraideale.it/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dalema-superba2.jpg[/img]

Marie-Therese
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339699302' post='2444696']
Really? No one enjoyed my Amory slam? :( Le sad...
[/quote]

To be fair, I should get half props on that, since I set it up. But, ya know, unsung heroes and all that.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Lord, though I do not understand why someone would want to drive in a place with so many cars, and would want to live in a place where they don't know even 1% of the population, help me to love them, for you do not need understanding in order to love.

Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1339707099' post='2444744']
To be fair, I should get half props on that, since I set it up. But, ya know, unsung heroes and all that.
[/quote]
you can be his wingman anyday

:|

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339707204' post='2444745']
Lord, though I do not understand why someone would want to drive in a place with so many cars, and would want to live in a place where they don't know even 1% of the population, help me to love them, for you do not need understanding in order to love.
[/quote]
Why do I need to know everyone?

BTW: this city feels smaller and smaller every single day. Connections everywhere.

Posted

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1339709840' post='2444756']

Why do I need to know everyone?

BTW: this city feels smaller and smaller every single day. Connections everywhere.
[/quote]When I ever get a chance ti visit New York, you can be my tour guide

Posted

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1339705969' post='2444736']
That is substantially warmer than where my Alaskan relatives live. They live several hours north of Fairbanks, and my aunt posted to facebook in February that she was relieved that it finally hit 30 or 40 below so that she could go outside.
[/quote]

Only the crazies live north of Fairbanks :|

Vincent Vega
Posted

I can't argue with that.

Posted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' timestamp='1339707099' post='2444744']


To be fair, I should get half props on that, since I set it up. But, ya know, unsung heroes and all that.
[/quote]

I'd be pleased as pie to give you half of my zero props, bless your heart!

KnightofChrist
Posted

[media=]http://youtu.be/G_DV54ddNHE[/media]

franciscanheart
Posted

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339719928' post='2444802']
I'd be pleased as pie to give you half of my zero props, bless your heart!
[/quote]
Truth: I tried to prop this. Then I remembered.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1339684747' post='2444611']
No, actually Amory is correct. Once you've attained a certain level of holiness, you are called to eschew all types of relationships with people who don't share your impressive degree of piety and spiritual righteousness. The reason being that friendships are all about what you can "get out of" others. I mean, Jesus said that somewhere in one of those red-letter Bibles, right? You know, during one of His visits to the luxurious homes of the Sanhedrin where He would be hobnobbing with the Jewish elders and discussing how the meek of the Earth should be spit upon and that He was pro-stoning of admitted prostitutes.

Gosh, I hate when you can't find the Bible verse you're trying to cite. It's in there, I swear.
[/quote]


I wasn't talking about evangelization. I was talking about friendship.

A friendship is based on commonalities and upon qualities that each finds admirable in the other. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think most staunch Catholics would find much in common with a "vegan lesbian Muslim from Polynesia who works at a fair trade coffee shop and has a manga-looking tattoo of Karl Marx above her left breast" or would find in such a person a great many qualities that are particularly admirable in comparison to other people they know.

We are called to spread the gospel to everyone we meet, but we are not called to invite regularly to our house, to text constantly, to have long phone calls with, and to go every weekend to bars with everyone we meet. It is not expected for anyone to form close relationships with those whose conversation he does not find stimulating, whose presence he does not find relaxing, and whose conduct he does not find edifying.

Christ reached out to everyone, but He carefully selected His circle of friends, the twelve apostles.

Edited by Amory

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...