An Old School Catholic Message Board

Third Order, Stupid Question

Ice_nine

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1341093669' post='2450976']
I don't think he realized he was doing it, but "Fr. Joe" tried to get a bit of sympathy out of the secular order members, by telling us what a VERY hard time he was having, how he was trying to figure out how to get his prayer time in while running the retreat house, racing up and down the highway, and feeling totally, physically exhausted! We were empathetic... but probably not as much as he had hoped. And he was obviously... baffled... as to why we weren't as 'poor Fr. Joe' as he had expected. About an hour later, I found him setting the table for the next meal, and gave him a hand... and while I did it, I said, 'you know, Father.... what you said about how you are having trouble balancing everything... welll... welcome to the world of the secular order members.' And I just looked at him with great love and compas - sion. And he looked back... and his eyes got big.... and he said, "AnneLine, I never realized... I never thought about.... how do you guys do this? This IS what it would be like to be a secular order member!!! I can't imagine doing this all the time. It is exhausting!" and I said, "Father, it's a vocation. You will be given the graces to do it if God wants you to do it.... for a few weeks or a few decades. We'll be praying for you... you pray for us, too!".

I think we both went away very much more aware of how we SHARE the spirituality of our order and yet live it out in a VERY different arena. We have much in common... but we are given different graces because God wants us to live the charism of the order in a different setting. And I LOVE being a secular.... even though there are days I would love to have been given the vocation of a Regular third order member or a cloistered Nun... but God knows best (and I think my husband is glad it worked out this way, too!)

Praying for all of you!
[/quote]

Loved the story AnneLine! And I REALLY like your last paragraph about the differences between the vocations. You don't attempt to bunch them together and make them see like they're the exact same thing, but you laid them out and showed both the beauty and hardship of the vocation. I saved that paragraph to my computer-thanks for it.

I am actually hoping my parents join a third order when I join the monastery. Only if it is a true vocation for them, of course, but I sure hope it is! I think it would help them to keep focused on God and the Church throughout their daily lives, which they are both struggling with right now.

haha I was just kiddin' about the fighting ;)

Third Order seems razzle dazzle. I feel as tho being a sister is best for me at the moment, but being a lay missioner or something is also a possibility. Sometimes I wish there would just be an obvious sign to tell me what to do, but those things are rare aren't they?

Either way I forwarded a request for God to throw me a bone as to what the helk I's supposed to do :)

BarbTherese

I'm reading a book on discerning The Will of God by a Jesuit recommended by my director. Although it is based on the Exercises of St. Ignatius (which I have NEVER been able to work my way through), I am finding it thus far not heavy going. At work just now in my lunch break - will post the title with link to purchasing once home.