An Old School Catholic Message Board

Countdown To My Sister's First Vows!

MissScripture

TheresaThoma

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1343357030' post='2459211']
I will do my best! We are part way to Nashville. So far the trip has gone well. My son did amesome for 10 hours in the car today. And we have 2 priests caravaning with us, so we had Mass at the hotel, today.
[/quote]
Now that is the way to road trip! Bring your own priests!

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1343362771' post='2459231']
Now that is the way to road trip! Bring your own priests!
[/quote]

BYOP: The Catholic version of BYOB

loveletslive

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343370804' post='2459258']
BYOP: The Catholic version of BYOB
[/quote]

possibly the greatest thing i've ever heard.

so excited for you to go to nashville and your sister! my best friend is a postulant there and tomorrow (i think it's tomorrow) she gets her habit & religious name :D

loveletslive: Please share her name, if you think she'd be okay with it. Religious names are SO exciting!

TheresaThoma

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1343694110' post='2460463']
Sr. Cora Marie! and my other friend is now Sr. Mariana Rose!!
[/quote]
Beautiful names!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

For all you waiting for photos! Enjoy!

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/sets/72157630804743022/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/sets/72157630804743022/[/url]

[url="http://vimeo.com/46511644"]http://vimeo.com/46511644[/url]

I can't imagine a group making profession that is bigger than my own community!

i<3franciscans

The pictures are so beautiful! I wish I was here during the countdown!

edited because I can't spell. :P

Edited by i<3franciscans

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1343738055' post='2460585']
I can't imagine a group making profession that is bigger than my own community!
[/quote]

Sister Mary Catharine--Were you actually AT the ceremony? Or do you have an "in" with someone who was there? Considering the physical distance between all of you, I've been impressed when I've seen or heard glimpses of how Dominican Novice Mistresses manage to stay close and support each other--even though some of you are cloistered and some are active.

It may have been my overactive imagination, but a couple of years ago I thought I spotted Sister Mary Veronica (before she came to Summit) at a vocation retreat for the Nashville Dominicans. You even share aspirants!

I hope all is going well. I loved the Summit blog the other day describing the Summit garden, when you (along with your growing grapes) were described as being busy "growing novices." I wish I was an artist because my "unusual mind" immediately got an image of your postulants as small saplings--(your postulants arrive as young trees--God planted the original seed)--then the novices and the Sisters who have made first profession as ever larger, more beautiful trees--flowering and beginning to bear fruit--up to the most senior--one of "your" first young saplings--who has left the nest (sorry for mixing metaphors) and is now under the special care of the whole Community and due to make Solemn Profession early next year. (I'm not counting Sister Mary Amata as one of "your" saplings, because she arrived at Summit in her full maturity, with only the final grace of solemn vows to bring her tree to full fruition--although I know she is just as special to you as ones who arrive as small saplings who need your special care to flourish.)

Oh yes! Thank-you for the pictures!

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

MissScripture

It was definitely worth the >40 hours in the car to make it down there. It was so beautiful!
The night before (Friday night) one of the Australian's Sister's parents put on a meet & greet to meet families of the other Sisters. It was really nice to meet the other families. It helped make it really feel like family the next day.

On Saturday, we dressed John Paul in his adorable sweater vest and I put on my bridesmaid's dress (we had an extra from my wedding, and my sister asked me to wear it if it fit me), and we wandered around the campus of Vanderbilt for a while, before finding the Cathedral. :hehe: We got to see my sister before the ceremony, so she got to meet her nephew for the first time. Before Mass, I went into the Ladie's room, and there were several Sisters in there getting ready. One of the soon-to-be professed saw me and said hello (using my name, when I wasn't even sure who she was), and commented on how cute John Paul was. Someone IN the stall asked who she was talking to, and she told them, and then THAT Sister said hi to me. LOL.

The Mass was long, but very beautiful. Watching the 19 brides walking down the aisle was so amazing. They were all clearly in love. John Paul slept through most of the Mass and woke up just in time to hear my Sister's vows. The vows were said first in English, and then if a Sister's first language was not English, they said their vows in their native tongue. I thought that was really neat. After their Vows they got their black veils. The Bishop mispronounced my sister's name. (He didn't use the French pronunciation of Therese). After communion, my mom's friend who was with us, took John Paul out (he was getting restless) so that I could stay for the rest of the Mass. So, the first thing my sister saw upon leaving the sanctuary was my son chewing on a doll and growling. rotfl

After Mass we went to the college for a reception. Sr. Anna Karol cut the cake. And the newly professed sang a few songs for us. We got to hang out with my sister until 4:30, when she was returned to the Motherhouse.

My family and our friends went to see her on Sunday, but my husband and John Paul and I went to see his family. Then on monday, we went to the Motherhouse and spent the day with my sister, again.

[quote name='loveletslive' timestamp='1343694110' post='2460463']
Sr. Cora Marie! and my other friend is now Sr. Mariana Rose!!
[/quote]
I think I saw them! I seem to remember those names. We saw a bunch of the newly habited Sisters, and most were wearing name tags with their new names. As we were leaving, we saw one Sister walking and trying to untangle her rosary. My dad said, "Huh, looks like a bad rosary day." :hehe: You could tell they were new to the habit, but it was really sweet.

[quote name='Mary's Margaret' timestamp='1343745431' post='2460600']
Such joy! Oh, that all Catholics would glow with such love!
[/quote]
Yes! It was so beautiful to see the Sisters walking down the aisle. They were SO in love. :love: :proud:

Also, I don't have any pics on my camera. When I get some, I will post them.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I did an Internet search, and found a HUGE set of photos on Flickr from the ND first profession ceremony. (If these are the same photos that Sr. Mary Catharine posted, I apologize.) I loved the photos, but unfortunately I didn't know which Sister was Miss Scripture's Sister sister. (Say that 10 times fast!) There are SO many pictures there must be at least a couple of good pictures of her. Miss Scripture--Will you let us know which one is your Sister sister? Here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/7669215400/in/set-72157630804743022

P.S. MS--I prayed for you and your family to have a safe and fun trip. Looks like my prayers worked! (Yeah right, as if MY prayers made any difference. LOL)

Edited by MissScripture
Edited for link functionality

MissScripture
:secret: Iggy, for some reason your link didn't work right, so here it is, again [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dominicanfriars/7669215400/in/set-72157630804743022"]http://www.flickr.co...157630804743022[/url]

My sister is front and center in the first picture!